WACA ground close to sell out

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
cam
Gold

Post by cam »

So what is the official capacity of the ground? The first day was a sell-out, and they had 22,000 there. The capacity listed on this site is 27,000. Does anyone know what the official capacity is, excluding temporary seating?

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

i know im confused as well. how can it be a sell out when only 22,000 people went? especially as we have heard and seen reports that the capacity is anywhere from 27,500 to 28,000 and even as large as 33,000! can anyone clear this up?

mike

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Well the three day test match was the third largest aggregate ever at the WACA and the largest ever for a 3 day test match. The most recent report on the capacity of the WACA was by The West Australian in which it can fit 25,000 for test matches and 30,000 for one dayers, the reason why it didnt get capacity was the fact that not all the members went some 2,000 waca members didnt go on the first day. But it was a great crowd and the first sell out since last years one dayer for the WACA

Egan
Platinum

Davis Cup at the WACA

Post by Egan »

The Davis Cup in Australia has been held at many venues around australia including ANZ Stadium which is actualy an Athletics Track. This years Davis Cup game between Australia and Great Britain will be played at Homebush, but the WACA could and i think should bid for the next davis cup tie in Australia. I think you could use the upper tiers of the ground and put temporary stands around the sides You could quite possibly get as much as 10,000 to fit into the ground and it makes sence as we don't have a quality tennis facility like Memorial Drive, Homebush or Melbourne Park in Perth and Royal Kings Park is small and is not the best venue in terms of transport and easy access to get there.

joel

Post by joel »

Why not just use the Burswood Dome? It's good enough.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

My two bob on the capacity is this. 28-30,000 was the old capacity. Maybe it's just that this site has not yet updated it. The current capacity looks like it would be no more than 25,000 IMO. I don't know how capacity is greater for one-dayers, unless they're bringing in temporary seating. It's not like Test sightscreens are bigger than the one-day ones.

Buswood would be a good suggestion for the Davis Cup. But the surface is your standard rebound ace. Australia rarely plays Davis Cup ties on that sureface. I'll be at Homebush for the tie against the Poms. Can't wait. And it's on a temporary clay court that is to be installed (along with two permanent practice clay courts for the NSW Tennis Centre complex).

The WACA could host a tie in the future. But they have to be careful. When ANZ hosted a tie against Russia, the surface was criticised by Yegveny Kafelnikov. The curator would have to try damn hard not to upset Tennis Aust. They have plenty of venues to choose from. But if you can egt enough temporary seats it is a good idea. Australia loves playing Davis Cup on grass. After the very small Royal Kings Park, The WACA would be a logical choice

tailz
Bronze

Post by tailz »

wouldn't the two new hills increase the capacity? after all the squared off the ends of the ground to build them so wouldn't that make a larger spectator area?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Yes but you also have to consider the fact that they got rid of the stands to the Gloucester Park end of the Prindiville Stand. There used to be two tiers of seating there but now there's only one. The only areas where there are two tiers now are the Lillee-Marsh, Inverarity and Prindiville Stands.

Hills have greater capacity per area than seats but they had hills before at the WACA. So they aren't adding much extra hill space, if any. Also the hills are brought in closer over what used to be the outfield. Thus the overall dimensions of the ground are smaller. So the circumference of the field in reduced therefore the potential seating capacity per rows of seats is reduced.

I think the bigger issue is how they get 2 different capacities for Tests and one-dayers. Any ideas? It surely must be temporary seating.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The hills at the WACA are incredibly miniscule but the WACA didnt have two tier seating were the hills were they had a one level of seating and small amounts of grass banks aswell as a smaller stand next to the demolished farley stand. Plus the cfootball never used to get more then the 26-27000 people as the WACA Members most of them didnt go to every game. The capcity has dropped because they have made leg room bigger and claim the WACA to be the most comfortable ground for watching cricket. I have to agree to this claim. The WACA will hold the next davis cup tie in Perth, in my opinion I don't think that Burswood would make a higher bid then the WACA as they are desperate for more sporting comps or sports to base themselves there. And Burswood is in a dome and so would not give australia the same heat advantage if it were to be played at the WACA. I Think they may put temporary stand in but i have a feeling they are not temporary in the meaning temproary and that they will blend into the ground behind the grasshill.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Interesting article on the WACAs future, there bagging the government so i dont think the government will be giving any more money to the waca for awhile.

WACA will pitch for rock concerts
By GRAHAME ARMSTRONG
15dec02
POP stars visiting Perth will strut their stuff on the hallowed turf of the WACA ground if cricket officials get their way.

The Western Australian Cricket Association plans to make the WACA Perth's premier rock concert venue.

It is already negotiating to secure next year's Rumba and the Oz Concert on Australia Day.

WACA chief executive Kath White told The Sunday Times the WACA was an ideal concert venue and could seat 22,000 people.

It was a great alternative to the Entertainment Centre and Burswood.

The WACA had recently spent $225,000 upgrading the ground's sound system and there were also plans to host motor and boat shows.

Cricket officials are under pressure to find major events to fill the WACA ground, which is in danger of becoming a white elephant.

Although it is used regularly for cricket, the ground is filled to capacity about twice a year – for two one-day internationals and a Test match.

The WACA has not given up hope of attracting rugby union and soccer matches to the ground.

The body is unhappy the Government is building a rectangular stadium for soccer and rugby – two sports it wants to secure as anchor tenants at the WACA.

Ms White said the WACA recently wrote to Premier Geoff Gallop seeking $6.8 million in funding, the same amount the Government had committed to the new stadium at East Perth.

Ms White said the WACA was not asking the Government to abandon the redevelopment of Perth Oval for rugby and soccer but it was not fair the Government was favouring its competitor.

Opposition Sport and Recreation spokesman Arthur Marshall said the State Government must do more to assist cricket.

It was disappointing the Government had not provided financial support to assist in the ongoing upgrade of the WACA, he said.

Sport and Recreation Minister Alan Carpenter said: "The financial contributions the Government is making to the development of rugby and soccer facilities at Perth Oval has nothing to do with the WACA. They are not connected."

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Just been watching the Cricket and noticed they have large temporary seating where the smaller stands were for the test match. Looks like they would add another 4,000 or so to the total capacity.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Temporary seats.
I knew it!!!!!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The One day International is nearly a sellout. I predict about 23-24,000 on sunday depending on the weather. They really need to spend a bit more money on covering the WACA with shade condidering how hot it gets in Perth in The summer. Im going to sit in the Inveraity stand for the first time ever and so wont have to sit in the aun also a first.

Aussies to win by about 200 runs

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The WACA is a sell out and will be telecast live into Perth, the WACA tipped the crowd to be about 24,500 people. Its a bit hard to judge as you don't know how many WACA members will turn up.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Here's the official ground capacity of the WACA (thanks to 'wild_segull' via someone who works with the ground manager):

Pernament Capacity: 22,000
Temporary Stands for big events (ie One Day Cricket): 2,500 = 24,500

Im glad we finally have that one sorted out!! :wink: