Western Australia State Tennis Centre

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Mr J
Bronze

Western Australia State Tennis Centre

Post by Mr J »

I was reading some stuff on tennis wests website and it had some pictures for a proposed arena which looks somewhat like rod laver/ vodafone arena. Does anyone know if the goverment is going forward with this or what.

Might be an idea to put it on the proposed stadiums page.

It would be good if perth finally got a stadium which had proper accoustics (burswood and PEC are horrible) and which could house the hopman cup (so we dont lose it to :evil:melbourne:evil:) and other big indoor events.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Looks good. You should get this on Cam (as well as Royal King's Park and Milton before the fire). I'm a big fan of tennis and tennis arenas.

It would be good if Perth could use this as a concert venue. Perth seems to miss out on a few concert tours. Most artists go to the East Coast only. But then again they have Burswood and the PEC so maybe it is an issue of cost.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

We have discussed the 10,000 seat proposed indoor stadium before. This is most likely not to go ahead, I would think that as the Hopman Cup has been secured at the Burswood Dome that it will not go ahead. This stadium will be constructed only if the burswood dome is demolshed, not if the burswood dome is still there. This is so that the event is not lost to Melbourne.

Royal Kings Park, best location of a stadium in Australia if not the world. On the cities doorstep yet surrounded by river and bushland and the best views in the world

Like I said don't get your hopes up I doubt we will get this stadium. This was proposed by the person who runs the tournament and the Australian Open I think his name was Peter something and has been validated and agreed to be a tenant the Perth Wildcats who are for the stadium as Andrew Vlahov stated. I don't think with all the construction going on at the moment in the future just finished that another stadium in Perth will be built just yet, simply for the fact that basketball does not have the same following in Perth or it wouldnt be viable for one tournament a year.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Paul MacNamee I think you mean.

Thanks for the info Egan. I wasn't aware that this was THE 10,000 seat arena you were talking about before.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles a question since your a nuetral, seeing the design of the proposed stadium. If it was built which would you think was better Vodafone Arena or this stadium for tennis, it seems to be built primarily for tennis, which Vodafone was primarily built if im not wrong for Basketball although no NBL team in Melbourne will use it in a few years.

I wouldnt know, although the patriotism in me votes Perths

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Looking at it on TV, I've had issues with Vodafone Arena and tennis because you aren't as close in as you could be to the action (same as Rod Laver Arena). I understand the need for space and some parts of Vodafone get you very close, but I think these two venues go excessive. This Perth venue looks like the NSW Tennis Centre which gets you quite close.

For the most part I don't like Centre Court tickets. It's too much money to confine your self to one court (implicit confinement since you feel obliged to stay to get your money's worth). That's just my feeling. I like getting a Ground Pass only and soaking up the fun of the outer courts. Court 2 at the NSW Tennis Centre was great the first year (2000 when the had a Hill.) But since then theyve put temporary seating over a perfectly good grass mound. Bastards!!!

But I digress. Go closer to the action IMO.