Retractable seating

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Mr J
Bronze

Retractable seating

Post by Mr J »

Now most of us know about the retractable seating systems both Teltra Dome and Telstra Stadium use but i want to know how these exactly work and how viable they really are.

Now i know the dome has rails but how do these rails work. Do they have to rip up the turf so the seats can move in etc. Is there alot of work required.

Now how does the stands at Telstra stadium go about moving in?

I think i read for the dome it takes 30 workers, 8 hours. This seems quite alot and probally explains why they never use it as it just isnt viable.

Any ideas for a more economical use of retractable seating which is possibly used eles where?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The rails for Telstra Stadium's retractable seating are located below turf. Stips of turf are placed over the top of these rails when the Stadium is in AFL/Cricket mode.

It is often used in Sydney. We've had 4 AFL matches and one cricket match to employ the seating. I think the reason it is rarely used in Melbourne is because of the reduction in capacity it will cause. Is this true?

Scott
Bronze

Post by Scott »

Jeffles, I think Telstra Stadium is by default in AFL/Cricket mode and the seats are only pulled forward a day or so before a league/union game. I assume this promotes grass retention and makes ground maintenance easier.

Telstra Stadium's retractable seats seem to work well because the permanent seats on either side are set in the forward position, so no seats are lost.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

yep..Telstra is in oval mode most of the time to obviously grow the grass.

Once agin,here is my famous gif of the telstra stadium's seating...please dont laugh! ;)

As for Telstra Dome.Its only ever been converted once and probably will never be done again if the AFL have its way...Im not 100% certain of its system,but from what Ive read,its more complicated and more expensive to do.

Mr J
Bronze

Post by Mr J »

when the stands move in wouldnt it create a large gap where the stand use to be? does the slope change in the stand or something. Someone needs to explain in alot of depth (everything!). I want to get to the bottom of how retractable seating works.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Here is another diagram of the two modes

The gap left behind the inward positioned stands in Rugby mode are used for walkways.Also,walkways drop from a position in the upper tier to let spectators walk from the main grandstand to the retracted seats.When the seats go back,the walkways are winched up and locked back into the roof section of this tier and remain unused until the next Rugby game.

The slope of the stands do not change,but unfortunatley in AFL mode,the corners of the retractable stands have restricted viewing as one goal end is hidden behind the permanant terraces.This obviously is not an issue when its in rectangular(Rugby) mode.This explains much(not all) of the capacity difference between AFL(73,000) and Rugby(80,000).

What Jeffles said about the rails is 100%..Turf is relaid over the rails(which are underground) when in Oval/AFL mode.

Hope this helps...