Telstra Stadium lighting towers

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Mr J
Bronze

Telstra Stadium lighting towers

Post by Mr J »

When the Olympic games were on there were 4 light towers at Stadium Australia.

After the reconfigration these light towers were removed and it doesnt look like there returning

Im wondering, what was the point of these light towers, if the stadium already had enough lighting from the lights on the roofs and in the stands.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

They relocated the lights from the 'light towers' to the supports on top of the roof in the 4 corners of the stadium.

Mr J
Bronze

Post by Mr J »

Why didnt they just do that before the Olympics, i dont think it would of made much difference.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Maybe it wasn't possible before the reconfiguration. Or maybe the reason was they didn't want the people in the temporary ends to be all in the dark. Lights are there for the field AND the crowd.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

LOL..

I really have no idea!....I sort of agree with Jeffles..Maybe lighting up the temp stands so people can see...i guess...

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Since the WACA have the best lights in Australia, and the WACA will be destroyed by the angry mad public one day, why don't they buy the lights from the WACA.

They would do nicely at a stadium like Telstra rather then a stadium like the WACA.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

haha, the WACA lights at Telstra Stadium? I'm sorry but that would look shithouse. The lighting at the venue is fine.
When we're talking about light towers at Telstra Stadium, they were only very small. Nothing like the MCG or something.

You can see them on this photo.

perthsmike
Bronze

Post by perthsmike »

light towers look hideous anyway. i say get rid of em all and use lighting systems like those colonial and stadium australia.

mike

Scott
Bronze

Post by Scott »

Answering Mr J's original question.....The light towers had a number of purposes - additional lighting to the main lights underneath the roof of the East & West stands, especially to the ends of the arena when it was in "Olympics" mode. They also had some additional sound system speakers for us plebs who could only afford the end stands.

They became superfluous once it was reconfigured and the ends were "pulled in".

Scott
Bronze

Post by Scott »

Answering Mr J's original question.....The light towers had a number of purposes - additional lighting to the main lights underneath the roof of the East & West stands, especially to the ends of the arena when it was in "Olympics" mode. They also had some additional sound system speakers for us plebs who could only afford the end stands.

They became superfluous once it was reconfigured and the ends were "pulled in".

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

As long as it provides light it does not matter what they look like. I dont find any problems with the design of a stadium, my question was riddled with sarcasm of course it would not suit Telstra Stadium. But equivalent light standards are deserved more at Telstra then the WACA.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

If anyone is still confused,this is one of the towers we are talking about.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Yep. They're the ones Dan. Always looked temporary and superfluous to me. No surprise they were gone post reconfiguration.