ANZ stadium - any ideas???

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
hoffburger
Bronze

ANZ stadium - any ideas???

Post by hoffburger »

any ideas for the now underused ANZ stadium? i think they should demolish the northern and southern stands (the ones that look kind of temporary even though they arnt) and make these areas into grassed hills. this would leave the eastern and western stands in place and make the place a good venue for regular athlectics meets etc.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

I remember seeing a pic of ANZ(QEII) Stadium with only the main eastern grandstand surrounded by hills on the 3 other sides.Ill see if i can get that pic.

What about converting it a Tennis Centre.With Milton Park gone,Brisbane needs a Tennis venue.

Here is a pic of QEII taken just before the 1982 Commonwealth Games

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Spot on Dan. I was gonna say Tennis centre too. It would suit ANZ. No permanent mass public transport needed (becasue there are few large events) BUT it still serves an important purpose all year round.

For athletics, they can just use the No. 2 field (shown in the bottom of the photo). They have for Grand Prix meets before. Maybe a bigger grandstand though.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I personally like ANZ Stadium, the character the size, the sheer presence you feel amazed at the sheer size and beauty like MCG And Stadium Australia. Like in another forum we where bagging the GABBA out, which i stated I did not like it either, I reckon ANZ Stadium Is the perfect ground for AFL. I mean If Perth can have a seperate cricket ground thats even craper then the GABBA. I am sure Brisbane could, I mean there wouldnt be any problems, ANZ is now abandoned will only host the athletis championship over 4 days once a year. But a 45,000 seat AFL venue with character and passion. Surely it would be better then the GABBA.

P.S Your surface is atrocious at Suncorp, If you want to see a magnificent surface go to Perth Oval. Commentators run out of words to say when they see the surface that Perth Oval has week after week. It would have to be a contender for the best in Australia, it certainly is the best in Perth.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Suncorp has just been laid. I agree with you in part Egan. Hopefully it will get better.

Does anyone else think this is down to political factors? Play big events at the stadium before it's ready to show off the marvellous work. Imagine how embarrassed Beattie would've been had they played it at ANZ when a near finished piece of work was in another part of the city.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Aussie Rules at ANZ (QEII) - That rings a bell. Has footy ever been played there? I reckon a oval would just about fit on the ground.
Personally, I think they should leave the main stand there, and replace the rest with a grass hill. Leave it for athletics, and smaller league, union, soccer, etc games can still be played there in the future.

marcus
Bronze

Post by marcus »

Last edited by marcus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Agree Marcus. They Lions should use the GABBA.

I don't think AFL was ever played at ANZ. It was built with the athletics track for the 1982 Commonwealth Games. They tried playing a cricket match there (a celebrity one) by laying out fake grass on the track. A bit of a joke really but anything goes for a celebrity match.

It is a bad idea to play AFL at ANZ. Remember all the transport problems it has because of its poor location in the southern suburbs of Brissy. Also, there is no need when you have a perfectly good stadium in the GABBA.

Tennis facility is the go IMO.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

247 million dollars if i can remember correctly, I just think theyve designed a stadium that aesthetically not attractive.

ANZ Stadium a great stadium, anything over 40,000 in Australia can be classified a great stadium

Brisbane have 4 stadiums that have been utilised over the years, which is much like Perth, have sport has its own sport. Rugby Union and Soccer Ballymore - which is also been redeveloped slightly, Will Queensland Reds play there? Rugby League ANZ Stadium along with athletics, GABBA cricket and football. Now that Suncorp has been redeveloped, They have one white elephant, which is ashamedly ANZ.

Just wish ANZ would be transferred to Perth in place of Perry Lakes. In 18 years youve gone from a wooden stadium to concrete a masterful architetcural feat for stadiums of that time, as stands where always made of wood.

My Grandad repeatedly tells me about the day that the McDonald Stand at Bassendean Oval burnt down and they rebuilt it with another wooden stand. The architecture of that day could not design concrete stands, and a brick stand would be achieved at a much increased cost.