Jeffles..guess the old stadium?

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Dan
Silver

Jeffles..guess the old stadium?

Post by Dan »

Jeffles.....

Guess..
Clue:Its in Sydney

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

EASY. Well not quite. I've looked at it for 1 minute and have come up with this......

You've left the grandstands out which still stand but that row of houses at the back lead me to believe it s a photo of Leichhardt Oval in the days it faced East-West. The houses are still pretty miuch there and they look like that. The place is only 20 min walk from my place.

That tall terrace house on the left has a deck on the top storey. Sometime during games you see people sitting on the deck watching their matches.

Great photo Dan. Am I right?? Would be quite embarassing if I gave this big spiel about it and how easy it was if I was wrong. How'd you get it?

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Jeffles...

WOW.......!!!! Please proceed past GO and collect $200!!!!!

Well done!

I found the pic in the NSW state library archives

When did they convert Leichhardt from oval to rectangle?I remember back in the mid 70s when AMCO Cup was around that it was only "recently" upgraded...My guess would be 1972 or 1973?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It was around that time. Balmian moved to the Sydney Sports Ground in that interim period as the base for their home matches. http://stats.rleague.com/rl/games/balmain_vn.html shows an absence of matches at Leichhardt from 1971-1972 which would suggest that was when it was being rebuilt.

At the time it was built it was hailed as the best suburban ground in Sydney. Close to the action, good facilities, TV floodlights (hence all the midweek games there). It is still close to the action but the facilities sow their age I think the Tigers would be better off moving to Concord. They already base all their training there. Half their home matches would be a plus.