Central Coast Stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Timbo
Silver

Central Coast Stadium

Post by Timbo »

Made my first trip up the railway line on Saturday to see the Raiders go down to the Roosters ( :x ) so I thought I'd post my thoughts on CC stadium.

I've gotta say, it's an absolute travesty that there is no NRL team based permanantly at CC stadium.

As far as all seater 'boutique' stadiums go, it's a classic. I had a wander round before hand, just about every seat in the house has a good view of the game. They've somehow managed to do this even with 20,000 seats using only three sides of the ground, plus the seated areas don't feel cramped at all, lots of legroom and standing room. Add to this the accesability (2 minute walk from Gosford station) and it's a great location on the whole.

It is easially now my favourite <30,000 seater ground, taking the mantle from my beloved Canberra Stadium. :o

Anyway, I know no one really cares what I think :P but I thought I'd throw my two cents in the ring!

quidgybo
Silver

Post by quidgybo »

Never been there myself (visited the site prior to construction starting) but it appears to be the precise model that the new stadiums at the Gold Coast and in Melbourne should be built on. The perfect boutique ground - 25,000 capacity (given the use of the fourth side) and the potential for expansion to 30,000+ in future years by extending the top tier around to completely enclose the stadium. Perfect for both as it allows the stadium to grow as crowds do. And if memory serves it cost only A$44m to build (22 each from the state and federal governments). How far will $100m go?!?

Leigh

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

The ground makes good use of limited space.

I was disappointed with the catering and the lack of undercover seating. But I was very impressed with the ground generally.

And I hope the Bears Seats stay there for a long time yet. They paid for them - they may as well stay there to remind everyone of how they were shafted.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

When I was there for the WCC match, the Bears seats appeared to have been taken out.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

hot_dogma wrote:When I was there for the WCC match, the Bears seats appeared to have been taken out.
Bastards!

reece
Bronze

Post by reece »

The palm trees behind one of the goals makes the stadium have a nice uniqueness about it.

U REDS
Silver

Post by U REDS »

I can't wait to have a look at it myself when the soccer gets going again. :D

Timbo
Silver

Re: Central Coast Stadium

Post by Timbo »

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsloca ... 7208889512" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Central Coast
Gosford Council general manager is lobbying for $30m to upgrade Central Coast Stadium

Emma Herd
Central Coast Gosford Express Advocate
February 06, 2015 1:00AM

Gosford Council CEO Paul Anderson Mayor and Lawrie McKinna have visions for Central Coast Stadium

BIG-time concerts and international sporting blockbusters could be held at Central Coast Stadium if Gosford Council chief executive Paul Anderson gets his wish of a multi-­million-­dollar upgrade.

Mr Anderson has called on the NSW Government to help fund a $30 million ­upgrade to increase the ­capacity of the council-owned stadium to 32,000.

His comments come in the wake of the State Government’s recent decision to ­allocate $600 million to ­upgrade stadiums in Sydney, Wollongong and ­Newcastle.

The bold vision could see the Gosford stadium, considered one of the best regional venues in Australia, host A-list music acts and world cup sporting fixtures.

Gosford Council CEO Paul Anderson Mayor and Lawrie McKinna have visions for Central Coast Stadium

The 12,000-seat upgrade would also boost the long campaign by the Central Coast Bears for a team in the National Rugby League and bring big NRL games to ­Gosford.

“This stadium is one of the only ones owned by a council in the country and the State Government doesn’t want to help fund it,” Mr ­Anderson said.

Mr Anderson said he envisaged that the additional seating would take the form of an extra tier on both the eastern and western stands and the northern concourse.

He said there would be no plans to put seating at the Brisbane Water end of the ­stadium so the iconic palm trees and water views would be preserved.

“Those palm trees and the water have become synonymous with the stadium and we wouldn’t want to lose that,” he said.

A large Fijian contingent cheer on their team. Fiji v Scotland at Central Coast Bluetongue Stadium during the Rugby League World Cub in 2013.

It is understood it is not the first time representations have been made for support to upgrade the 20,059-capacity stadium, with government assistance first sought a decade ago.

With the Central Coast ­Stadium now 15 years old, Mr ­Anderson wants to ­increase its capacity and corporate facilities to give it a wider appeal.

He said at least $30 million would be required for ­upgrades and some structural maintenance.

“We’d like to increase the capacity so we’re able to ­appeal to a broader cross-section of sports and other entertainment providers,” he said.

“We also need to secure accommodation of the right standard close to the facility.

“Gosford missed out on the Asian Cup because of the capacity of the stadium and because we only had one international hotel within travelling distance.”

Gosford missed out on any of the Asian Cup soccer matches.

A 32,000 capacity would place the stadium just shy of Newcastle’s Hunter ­Stadium which has 33,000 seats.

While he has not made any formal approaches to government, Mr Anderson said he had a brief discussion with Premier Mike Baird about the stadium last week.

A spokesman for Sport and Recreation Minister Stuart Ayres did not ­respond directly to the question of allocating funds to Central Coast ­Stadium.

He said the Government’s focus was on ­upgrading ­larger ­venues in Sydney.

Former Central Coast Stadium managing director Monique Marks said Gosford had regularly missed out on major sporting and entertainment events.

Ms Marks, who operated the stadium for 14 years, said a lack of seating ­capacity and inadequate corporate facilities were to blame.

She said seating of at least 25,000-30,000 is the benchmark capacity for a venue to be considered by promoters of major events.

“If we were to have a capacity of 30,000 to 35,000 you would get a lot of big acts,” Ms Marks said.

Major acts won’t come to Gosford stadium because its seating capacity is too small.

“There is no way a concert promoter with the costs ­associated with putting on a concert would come to Gosford with 20,000 seats. It is just not viable.

“If we upgraded our ­stadium basically any A-list concert act that goes to Sydney could come to Gosford.

“International sporting tournaments like the Asian Cup consider our venue a training facility because we don’t have the seating ­capacity and corporate ­facilities they need.

“We have half the capacity for corporates than Newcastle. We have no major rooms for sit-down functions. A lot of hirers want to do a sit-down dinner for 200-300 people and we just can’t accommodate them.”

The stadium has only been able to support smaller events like the World Supercross Masters

---------------------

Bit of a pipe dream. The NRL has once again put expansion on the backburner, and CC is now about fifth in line.

I also liked the 'get world cup sporting events' comment. What events could they possibly talk about?

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Tell him he's dreaming.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

They'll increase capacity by tearing roofs off and building an additional tier on 2 x 2 level grandstands, rather than build a concourse and seating on the ground behind the goals.

And that's why we don't let local governments allocate capital.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Almost 10 years between posts in this thread

And, yeah, the idea's not strong

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Going on today's Mariners crowd, if grand poobah local government man has ideas on selling the other 27,500 tickets I'm all ears.

Also btw, "no" to constitutional recognition of these scarf wearing muppets

Spirit of Santos
Bronze

Post by Spirit of Santos »

Timbo wrote: “This stadium is one of the only ones owned by a council in the country and the State Government doesn’t want to help fund it,” Mr ­Anderson said.
lol what.

Off the top of my head: Kogarah Jubilee, Brookvale, Campbelltown.

Suspect Leichhardt is also council owned.

Orel Puppington
Bronze
Location: Waiting for St. George to play more than one game in Melbourne

Post by Orel Puppington »

And Kardinia Park in Geelong is council owned (joint-venture with the Cats)

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

City of Vincent owns Perth Oval/NIB Stadium.

Councils own all the SANFL grounds.