GWS to play at revamped showgrounds

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
beastjim
Gold

Re: GWS to play at revamped showgrounds

Post by beastjim »

Sponsors. Imagine how much Barclays pays for it to be the Barclays Premier League.

nobleoz
Gold

Post by nobleoz »

I think you will find that all 3 major sports in the US earn most of their income from TV rights, & probably EPL?

If AFL (sic) is regarded as a foreign code in Sydney, then GWS is a long term project & 50 years is not too far-fetched.

Gyfox is right that TV rights are a primary resaon. But it's also about (1) growth, with the aim of getting more youth playing Aussie Rules, & (2) more publicity, with an AFL game in Sydney every week.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Rob wrote:
gyfox wrote: Last time I checked 58% of the AFL's income came from Broadcast Rights which was the highest percentage of any football code worldwide.
Quite seriously, what other major revenue streams are there for sporting leagues? I assume all match day revenue is earned by the clubs everywhere.
The FFA for example get only 20% of their income from Broadcast Rights and slightly more than that from partnerships and sponsorships. They get another 20% from Socceroos gate takings if I recall correctly. I will see if I can find some of the figures again for other Leagues around the world. There were a few articles about it from memory.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

beastjim wrote:Sponsors. Imagine how much Barclays pays for it to be the Barclays Premier League.
Would have thought it'd be a drop in the ocean compared to what Sky (and other foreign TV networks) pay for the rights.

A quick google search - just over 20m pounds a year, i.e f**k all compared to the TV income.

I would guess that any sporting league with greater than novelty support in a first world country would earn the bulk of their income from TV, or at the very least it would make up, by far, their largest income stream.

In the AFL, match day income is highly likely to exceed TV revenue. It's just that the AFL itself doesn't see a lot of it. I'd imagine most other sporting leagues are set up a similar way. I don't know of any that would collect the bulk of match day income.

redsfan
Bronze

Post by redsfan »

Man Uniteds single largest income stream is match day revenue it's around the 100 million pound turnover mark. It all depends on the league and the size of the club, stadium capacity and the ability to fill it.
EPL clubs get around 25 million pounds a year from tv rights if i remember correctly, and all clubs get the same amount where as in Scotland, Rangers and Celtic get a larger share of the TV money than the smaller clubs.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Are we confusing "code" with "league" and club income here?

Scott
Bronze

Post by Scott »

redsfan wrote: EPL clubs get around 25 million pounds a year from tv rights if i remember correctly
And they also get "prizemoney" of 750,000 pounds (2009-10) a place depending on where they finish on the table

cairnscowboy
Bronze

Post by cairnscowboy »

deejaybee wrote:Back when everybody was trying to get an AFL team for Tasmania, the AFL came out and in defence of the decision of Western Sydney and Demitriou said that they were looking at something like a 60-100 year long term plan...Dunno if that's realistic or not but that's their mentality.
if movies have tought us anything in a hundred years we'll all be either robots or controlled by robot so im not too worried about this

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Good news for the AFL then. Robots are gr8 athletes

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

Simmo79 wrote:Are we confusing "code" with "league" and club income here?
I dunno, I assumed when someone referred to the 'AFL's income' that meant the league's income. i.e not including income earned by clubs.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

If we're talking the League, it'd be media, daylight, sponsorship and the rest I'd say.

Does the league get a royalty for club ticket revenue or is it just the finals?

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

http://majorprojects.planning.nsw.gov.a ... ob_id=4188

Much better than the first renders we saw.

Seems that this is the $73m master plan, divided into 3 stages - 1, 1a and 2. I can't see any information that makes clear what is currently funded, but my guess is Stage 1.

Stage 1 is lower bowl, corporate/media North West stand, amenities, players facilities, new lights etc with temporary spectator stands in the North and South East stands.

Stage 1a replaces the temporary stands with permanent versions and adds a small grass hill under the scoreboard.

Stage 2 adds a roof to the North and South East stands.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Yes it is much better, but for the life of me I still cannot see why we need to oval venues within spitting distance of each other.

The SMH reveals that the Showground will be called Skoda Stadium.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I can't find the renders on that page.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Nor can I. Can someone upload them to the thread please?