The Western Grandstand at EnergyAustralia Stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

i keep pointing out yes there is ...

getting a state / local / federal govt to commit to it is the problem

paul
Bronze

Post by paul »

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... ote]Mayher issued his plea as Mr Iemma pledged to grant $30 million for a new grandstand at EnergyAustralia Stadium in Newcastle as he continued on the campaign trail ahead of Saturday's State election.

Mr Iemma's pledge to Newcastle was conditional on the grant being matched by the Federal Government.

EnergyAustralia Stadium only last season saw the completion of a $22 million government-funded grandstand.[/quote]

So if the feds get involved does that mean EAS will get $60 million? Surely that'd be enough to complete the other 3 sides if the eastern stand apparently cost $22 million.

quidgybo
Silver

Post by quidgybo »

Remember that the eastern stand is not a full Grand Stand in the traditional sense. It is concrete terracing and an upper tier built on top of an existing hill. A new western stand would include a proper lower tier incorporating dressing rooms and so forth. I'd guess you'd be looking at $35m based on the previous stand. That'd still leave a good $25m which would be at least enough to complete the lower bowl with plenty of change.

Leigh.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Sounds promising, should be great once the western stand is replaced. In regards to the two ends, I like the way it is at the moment to be honest, rather than turning it into an all-seater. Maybe put in new seats on the bottom-half of each end, leave a grass hill on the back half, and new corporate boxes/facilities at the back of the hill. That would look great.

paul
Bronze

Post by paul »

cam wrote:Sounds promising, should be great once the western stand is replaced. In regards to the two ends, I like the way it is at the moment to be honest, rather than turning it into an all-seater. Maybe put in new seats on the bottom-half of each end, leave a grass hill on the back half, and new corporate boxes/facilities at the back of the hill. That would look great.
At the moment the four rows of seats at each end already take up half the hill. I like Quidgybo's idea of completing the lower bowl around the ground even if it does get rid of them.

I wonder what'd be the chances of having a proper hill at one end and building the full 2.5 tiers around the other goal end so the soccer supporters can have a cheer section behind the goals?

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

"cheer section" ?!?!?!? :twisted:

Scott
Bronze

Post by Scott »

paul wrote:Surely that'd be enough to complete the other 3 sides if the eastern stand apparently cost $22 million.
The final cost was a lot more than $22m, which was the original budget figure used in press releases - $30-32m I think. $60m is not unrealistic for the western side, given it'll have the full below stand facilities.

paul
Bronze

Post by paul »

Simmo79 wrote:"cheer section" ?!?!?!? :twisted:
Maybe I didn't word that properly :lol:. What I meant was that the loudest fans seem to congregate behind the goals at soccer matches.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Correct! You are forgiven because you recognise End Kulchaaa.

back to Paul's main point. I'm not sure if it would be worth adding a full stand behind either end just yet. If the Western Stand was to mirror the Eastern Stand's capacity and the end hills turned into concourses, capacity would be at what? 28,000? The Knights would only crack a sell out once or twice a year atm. The Jets probably not once in an average season. So a third grandstand would hardly ever be filled and simply wouldn't pay off it's own construction.

Maybe in 10 years time which is kind of the long term goal anyway.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Simmo79 wrote:Correct! You are forgiven because you recognise End Kulchaaa.

back to Paul's main point. I'm not sure if it would be worth adding a full stand behind either end just yet. If the Western Stand was to mirror the Eastern Stand's capacity and the end hills turned into concourses, capacity would be at what? 28,000? The Knights would only crack a sell out once or twice a year atm. The Jets probably not once in an average season. So a third grandstand would hardly ever be filled and simply wouldn't pay off it's own construction.

Maybe in 10 years time which is kind of the long term goal anyway.
western stand holds 5k, eastern 12k, cap is 26k - cap of a mirrored western stand on top would therefore be 33k.

working on rough dimensions of 136 x 80 (pretty average for RL surfaces) you're looking at the ends holding about 7k each if they don't wrap around. that makes a 38k stadium if all 4 sides get done.

they don't need something that big on current crowds. the question is whether moer people would come if the ground was better - they ay well. at the moment it's a dead set dump, barring one nice stand, and it would likely be much more attractive if it was better. and on the melbourne 'there's nothing else to do in this hick town' logic, a big venue with high class sport should draw in enough punters that you have to beat them off with a stick.

but that's pretty speculative logic to throw $60 million at.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

There are about 30 rows to the lower concourse at EAS so it would be about 5500 each end at about 6.5 mil for both ends working on 11000 seats at about $600 as seat on the ground...

so add that to your 28k for east + new west which = a pissed off MVFC :lol: at 39 / 40k they would have alot to winge about. and you would also have another WC ready venue on your hands.

Scott 60mill is about right for the eastern side but they would want alot for that kind of folding stuff for players members and media. infact with a cheep builder on board you could compleate the whole thing for around that amount as you dont have the problem of building building hard up against a boundary like they did on the east which is always a problem with materials handeling, cranage etc.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

dibo wrote: and on the melbourne 'there's nothing else to do in this hick town' logic, a big venue with high class sport should draw in enough punters that you have to beat them off with a stick.
This theory doesn't work to well in Gosford.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

hot_dogma wrote:
dibo wrote: and on the melbourne 'there's nothing else to do in this hick town' logic, a big venue with high class sport should draw in enough punters that you have to beat them off with a stick.
Your 'heaps of hot chicks in sh*t places' theory doesn't apply to Gosford either.

And I sure as hell don't want to test my 'inner city outer city rule' there! :shock:

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

hot_dogma wrote:
we basically averaged 10k last season, not too far off your lot's 15k when there's 16 times as many people in gosford - gosford people are far more likely to go to the football than sydneysiders*.

* though i'm a sydneysider who goes to gosford to go to the football...

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

yob wrote:
hot_dogma wrote:
Your 'heaps of hot chicks in sh*t places' theory doesn't apply to Gosford either.

And I sure as hell don't want to test my 'inner city outer city rule' there! :shock:
It certainly did when I was checking ID's of chicks at Future Music Festival on the weekend. Every Central Coast girl was an out-and-out stunna.