The Western Grandstand at EnergyAustralia Stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

1,089,553 – Perth * Doesn't include Glory's last game

969,211 – Brisbane* Doesn't include Roar's last game

881,994 – Adelaide - Complete

2,234,344 – Sydney - Complete

3,895,886 – Melbourne - Complete

What it does show me, is that the Roar have attracted a market that was well and truly there for the size of its city in the football codes. Adelaide continues to impress, considering the population is about 1.1million. Sydney's crowds are dissapointing, for the amount of football games of all codes on in that city, they only have double the amount of people going to the events all up as Perth, yet around 3.5 times the population. And many of the games in Perth restricted growth due to capacity issues, which Sydney generally doesn't have.

Melbourne is the only city that had more people going to watch all the football codes then the cities population. - Sorry, not Sporting Capital of the World just yet though :wink:

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Simmo79 wrote:God almighty, someone's gone to the trouble of listing the attendance for every single AFL, NRL, A-League and S14 match from the 2006 and 2006/7 seasons (one list that is). And the averages too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_AFL_and_NRL_crowds

^^ and the Knights got 21,848 for the 2006 season which IMO looks far more likely.

I could spend half a day examining those stats :oops:
Should I add SANFL crowds to that? Seems fair enough, considering clubs like Central District have outdrawn the Knights, Rabbitohs on occasion ;)

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

And a few WAFL games have exceeded Glory's crowds

notably the Foundation Day Derby crowds.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

(it took nearly 2 minutes for me to work out wtf Egan was on about)

This is the point where JF would jump in and explain that Sydney gets poor sports crowds because of the nice beaches and other "options" (as if other cities didn't have them as well).

Sydney's poor crowds is something that's always baffled me.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Simmo79 wrote:(
Sydney's poor crowds is something that's always baffled me.
More so then anywhere else in the country...they prefer to watch their sport on the 'tv'.

bigdan
Bronze

Post by bigdan »

the crow wrote:the more gold shirts at the ground the quicker you wil have a new grandstand.....break in paint all the seats gold.... :shock:

you want a golden cash cow not a red and blue one :lol:
Bugger that, I want a multi-coloured cash cow. :P Gold, red and blue. :P The more for both, the merrier. :D

Actually, Newcastle city's colours are brown (or a variant of it, I've heard cinnamon used at least once :shock:), blue and green. If you wanna be anal about things, paint it that way.

I'll see about attending a Knights game this year sitting from the other grandstand. Maybe after St. Patricks Day, I'll be in Newie on the turps then, thankfully it's on a Saturday. :P

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

wolves and victory man wrote:I don't believe Richmond has the 2nd best average in club sport in Australia.
Believe it.

I've said this somewhere on this forum before, that Richmond have a very big (but often latent) supporter base (bigger than Essendon IMO), despite being mostly sh1t on-field for the last 25 years. They are also the most feral lot in Melbourne.

If Richmond ever get to be genuinly good, which may happen one decade, there crowd sizes would give Collingwood a real run for its money.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

sandyhill wrote:
wolves and victory man wrote:I don't believe Richmond has the 2nd best average in club sport in Australia.
Believe it.

I've said this somewhere on this forum before, that Richmond have a very big (but often latent) supporter base (bigger than Essendon IMO), despite being mostly sh1t on-field for the last 25 years. They are also the most feral lot in Melbourne.

If Richmond ever get to be genuinly good, which may happen one decade, there crowd sizes would give Collingwood a real run for its money.
Wherd times infinity. There are Richmond supporters everywhere. Many of which could be in hiding or cbf making themselves known. :wink:

Essendon's supporter base is largely due to being sucessful at the right time when the media really started changing the game from a mere sport to an entertainment product. Much in the same way Man United was successful at the right time at the dawn of the FA Premier League.

This can be compared to the Hawthorn and Liverpool domination of their respective codes but not really capitalising on their success due to the different dynamics of how the sports were perceived and presented in the 70's and 80's.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Richmond have a good supporters base in Perth...

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I saw a richmond fan piss in a stubbie once.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Either he has precision aiming or a small...you get my drift.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

yob wrote:I saw a richmond fan piss in a stubbie once.
its a technique people use to get VB tasting OK

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

hot_dogma wrote:Either he has precision aiming ...
Hopefully he didn't emulate Richo's aiming.

paul
Bronze

Post by paul »

bigdan wrote:Here's the view from Energy Australia Stadium's Upper Western Grandstand...and it's a beaut! :D

Panoramic View of the Eastern Grandstand:
(WARNING: Big file pixel-wise, only over a meg)

A closer view of the field as the Jets warm up:

Bay 2 of the Eastern Grandstand, Home of the Squadron:

I've got a slow turning picture of the Eastern Stand taken from my seat, I'll upload it to YouTube either tonight or tomorrow.
Is there a long term plan to have the eastern grandstand continue around 3 or even all 4 sides of the ground? If they did it would be magnificent!

bigdan
Bronze

Post by bigdan »

paul wrote: Is there a long term plan to have the eastern grandstand continue around 3 or even all 4 sides of the ground? If they did it would be magnificent!
I haven't heard anything about it, neither NBN, ABC 1233 or the Herald have said anything as late about it, last article I read was about getting the Feds to chip in their bit.