Sydney Stadium

Closed/Former Venue

The Sydney Stadium was a sports and entertainment venue in Sydney NSW which stood on the corner of New South Head Road and Neild Avenue in Rushcutters Bay. Built in 1908, it was demolished in 1970 to make way for the construction of the Eastern Suburbs Railway.

A roof was built over the the stadium in 1911 and the octagonal structure was built to a design by Thomas Pollard Sampson. The venue had raked wooden seats facing the central stage and could accommodate as many as 15,000 people. It was mainly used as a venue for boxing matches until the mid-1900s.

From 1954 onwards and through the 1960s, the stadium was frequently used to host concerts by visiting overseas performers and was commonly known as 'the old tin shed'. The building had no air-conditioning or forced ventilation and its metal skin often made it unbearably hot in the sweltering Sydney summer.

Location
Address
 
Capacity
15,000  
Highest Crowd since 2003
 
Lights
Yes  
Arena Roof
No  
Video Screen
No  
Opened
1908(Closed 1970)
Ticket Agent
 
Sports Played
Boxing  
Home Teams
 
Last Event
 
Next Event