Originally built as the aquatic venue for the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games, the Holden Centre as it is now known as, serves as the training and administration base of the Collingwood Football Club following a major redevelopment in 2003 and again in 2012/13. Prior to this, the venue was known as the Melbourne Sports and Entertainment Centre (or the Glasshouse) and hosted events such as basketball, netball and concerts.
The building was remodelled internally in 2003 to become a new Sports Administration and Training Centre for the Magpies, offering efficient operational and athlete services, including a 25m swimming pool, hydrotherapy spa, theatrette, and administration offices. The glass on the external of the building was also removed to revert the building back to how it looked when it was built in 1956.
The venue was originally constructed for the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games in which it was the first ever Olympic Pool to have a roof. After the Games, the venue became the Melbourne Sports & Entertainment Centre, with the pool covered over, and playing host to a variety of indoor events. Often referred to as 'The Glasshouse' following renovations in 1983, the 7,500-seat venue was the home of Basketball in Melbourne. Former-NBL team the North Melbourne Giants continued to call the venue home following the opening of the National Tennis Centre which became the new headquarters of Basketball.
Melbourne Sports & Entertainment Centre