Cardinia Motor Complex
Cardinia Motor Recreation and Education Complex is a proposed new $200 million racetrack in Pakenham, in the outer south-east suburbs of Melbourne.
Plans include a main 3.6km racing circuit plus a skid pan, kart track, and even a clay shooting range. The complex has been designed to host local, state, national and international events – for all sporting disciplines facilitated within the complex.
The 65ha Cardinia Motor Recreation and Education Park will be built just a few kilometres out of Pakenham and will contain a 70-room hotel up to 10 stories high, large pit facility ranging from one to four storeys in height, and a number of viewing and grandstand areas.
The FIA Grade 2 circuit is expected to host between five and ten motor racing events each year and can facilitate up to 60,000 spectators around the venue. The race circuit is large enough that it can be able to be split up into two smaller circuits. It'll also be able to host festivals and concerts.
Plans for the facility were approved in December 2019, while the planning permit for stage one was approved by the Council in August 2020 and it is expected to open within two years.
The new facility will see three major motorsport tracks within a two-hour drive, with Phillip Island an hour to the south and Sandown about 30 minutes to the north-west, however with the future of Sandown in doubt, the new Cardinia Motor Complex may play an important part of Melbourne's future of motorsport.
- Built over 65ha on McGregor Rd, Pakenham
- Designed by renowned UK firm Apex Circuit Design
- 3.6km main high-grade circuit can host Formula 1 training
- 1.5km rallycross circuit within main track
- 900m go karting circuit
- Pit building with garages, corporate facilities, indoor exhibition centre and education classrooms
- 50 private trackside car storage garages with direct pit lane access
- Estimated 60,000sq m outdoor exhibition space for festivals, concerts and events
- Four-star trackside hotel with 140 beds over up to 10 storeys, wellness centre, pool with views over Turn 1 and rooftop restaurant
- Driver experience centre including skid pan
- International-standard shooting club with clay target range and indoor shooting range
- Community hub with meeting and office spaces