|Arden Street Oval - Austadiums|
Arden Street Oval was the home of North Melbourne Football Club from 1925 to 1985 and remains as the club’s training and administration base. Arden Street hosted a total of 529 AFL/VFL matches with a record crowd of 35,116 recorded in 1949 for a match between North Melbourne and Carlton.
The ground started life as a cricket venue before the Hotham Football Club, as they were known then, moved there in 1882. The Town of Hotham reverted to the name of North Melbourne in 1887 and the football and cricket club followed the next year. North joined the VFL in 1925 and the main grandstand was constructed in 1928, with seating for 2,000 spectators. The stand fell into disrepair and was closed to the public in 1991 before being demolished in 2006. The former social club and administration building were demolished in 2009 as part of the ground’s $16 million redevelopment which was completed in time for the 2010 season. The new building includes administration, training and recreational facilities. During the 2012/13 summer, the Arden Street Oval playing surface was reconstructed which included removal of the turf cricket wickets. It now has a capacity of around 5,000 and is officially known as the North Melbourne Recreational Reserve.
Football and cricket weren’t the only sports played at Arden Street Oval. Between 1957 and 1962, the Melbourne Greyhound Racing Association used the venue for its Greyhound meetings, held on Monday nights regularly in front of crowds of 5,000, before the dogs moved to Olympic Park.