|WIN Stadium - Austadiums|
Positioned overlooking the Pacific Ocean, WIN Stadium is situated at the lower end of the Wollongong Central Business District. The stadium is designed as a multi purpose facility with the ability to host a variety of sporting or special events. With the addition of the new Western Grandstand, the venue has a total capacity of around 23,000. WIN Stadium started life as the Wollongong Showground, hosting agricultural shows and featuring a greyhound track. Rugby League was played in the middle, which was referred to as the 'village green', from 1911. The Illawarra Steelers entered the First Grade competition in 1982 and played their home games at the Showground. In 1988, the Steelers and the Showground Trust converted the ground into a rectangle and in 1992, built the Southern grandstand. The venue has had ongoing renovations since then. WIN TV purchased the naming-rights to the stadium in 1997 in an initial five-year agreement, and continues to hold the rights today.
WIN Stadium has three main grandstands which are at the Western, Southern and Northern sides. Opposite the Western stand on the other wing of the ground is a grass hill. The Northern Grandstand, which was built using materials from the Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre, opened in 2002, while the new Western Grandstand opened in 2012. Rugby League has regularly been played at the stadium and continues to be the home of the St.George Illawarra Dragons, who also play half their home games in Sydney at Jubilee Stadium. Soccer has been held at the stadium at various stages, and in 2000, former-NSL side Wollongong Wolves moved to the venue from Brandon Park. Now in the NPL NSW, they continue to play home games at the venue.