Newcastle No.1 Sportsground Redevelopment
The Newcastle No.1 Sportsground upgrade commenced in September 2020 and is due to reopen in early 2022.
The upgrade is expected to deliver a major economic boost for the city as the works, which will include an increase to the field size and additional seating, will ensure the ground is capable of hosting pre-season AFL matches and larger cricket fixtures in the heart of Newcastle.
The redevelopment includes:
- Larger playing field size
- Lighting upgrade
- Installation of a sub-soil irrigation and drainage system
- New sight screens
- New player dug out benches
- Construction of 7 new wickets
- Re-built playing surface
- New concrete bleacher seating
- New oval perimeter fencing