The Junction Oval in St Kilda is the new home of Victorian Cricket following a redevelopment of the venue in 2017. Located at the historic ground is the new Victorian Cricket and Community Centre, now officially known as the CitiPower Centre following a five-year naming-rights deal announced at the opening in March 2018. As well as the new training and administration building, the redevelopment also included indoor and outdoor nets, new playing surface and video scoreboard.
Also previously known as the St Kilda Cricket Club Ground, the Junction Oval has been home of three VFL/AFL clubs: St Kilda (1897-1915 & 1918-1941), South Melbourne (1944-1946), and Fitzroy (1897-1966). The ground saw a total of 734 VFL/AFL matches and 6 finals games. The venue was the home base of the Melbourne Football Club for a period of time and has played host to a number of state cricket matches.
The Junction Oval has undergone many changes in appearance. As well as three main grandstands and undercover standing room, there was a large hill on the outer wing, allowing a record crowd of 46,973 in 1950 to watch St Kilda v Carlton. The 1990's saw the undercover stand behind the goals demolished as well as the reduction of the size of the hill in the outer wing. The old scoreboard which was built in 1954/55 remains in place. The ground currently has a capacity of around 7,000 and includes two grandstands (one of which is closed to the public) and a small hill around the outer. The new building, which serves as the home of Victorian Cricket, is located at the city end of the ground.
Junction Oval Details