Great Barrier Reef Arena Redevelopment
A $25 million redevelopment for Great Barrier Reef Arena at Harrup Park has greatly improved its facilities to be able to host more major events including national and international cricket.
The core aspects of the development including building a new northern stand on the northern side of the main playing field, a new “Northern Green” entertainment precinct and public open space, improving the TV filming and broadcasting infrastructure and a new public plaza and pedestrian connections to Juliet and Kippen Streets.
- 2000 new permanent seats
- Media and broadcast facilities for AFL and cricket
- Purpose-built facilities for players and ofﬁcials
- Corporate and event facilities
- One of Australia’s largest regional sporting facilities
- Professional grade male & female changerooms
- Meeting national and international sporting event requirements
The upgrade will also create a year round community destination:
- Greenspace & public domain
- Music and cultural event facilities
- Interconnecting walking tracks
- New food and beverage outlets
- Community event plaza
With $20 million in government funding, and more than $5 million contributed by Mackay Cricket Association itself, the arena officially opened to great fanfare with the Legends on the Lawn concert held on the field on 20 May 2023.