Great Barrier Reef Arena Redevelopment
A $25 million redevelopment for Great Barrier Reef Arena at Harrop Park, Mackay, will improve its facilities allowing it to host more major events including international cricket.
The core aspects of the development including building a new northern stand on the northern side of the main playing field, a new “Northern Green” entertainment precinct and public open space, improving the TV filming and broadcasting infrastructure and a new public plaza and pedestrian connections to Juliet and Kippen Sts.
- 2000 new permanent seats
- Media and broadcast facilities for AFL and cricket
- Purpose-built facilities for players and ofﬁcials
- Corporate and event facilities
- One of Australia’s largest regional sporting facilities
- Professional grade male & female changerooms
- Meeting national and international sporting event requirements
The upgrade will also create a year round community destination:
- Greenspace & public domain
- Music and cultural event facilities
- Interconnecting walking tracks
- New food and beverage outlets
- Community event plaza
With $20 million in government funding, it's hoped the project will commence in 2021 and be completed by mid-2023.