GMHBA Stadium Redevelopment
The next and final stage of the Kardinia Park redevelopment (stage five) will see a new grandstand replace the existing Ford Stand and Gary Ablett Terrace and potentially see the Hickey Stand refurbished. Once complete, the stadium will seat 40,000 spectators. Work is expected to get underway following the 2021 AFL season and be completed prior to the 2023 AFL season.
Stage four of the redevelopment saw the construction of a new grandstand to replace the old Brownlow and Jennings stands, increasing capacity by 2,500 to 36,000.
The third stage of the Simonds Stadium saw a new southern grandstand built to increase capacity to over 30,000. The was completed in mid-2013. Following this, lights were installed at the ground to allow for night matches.
The second stage of Simonds Stadium’s redevelopment included the Past Players and Ross-Drew Stands coming down to make way for a state-of-the-art sports and grandstand facility.
Work was completed in early 2010 and costing $30 million, this new complex will see the stadium capacity increase to accommodate 30,000 supporters and house:
- State-of-the-art sports science facility and gymnasium
- Club administrative offices
- Function room facility to cater for up to 300 guests
- Fifty new open air corporate boxes
- New executive hospitality suites
Geelong FC unveiled a $25 million plan to give the local community a 21st century stadium and community facility.
Key community benefits from the new master plan include:
- A new 6000 seat Eastern Grandstand including a 700 seat banquet/conference facility and fully-equipped media centre;
- New Geelong Sports House complex (share administration complex for local sporting bodies);
- New entry pavilions;
- Extending the Brownlow building to create the elite training gymnasium for the region;
- New stadium perimeter fence;
- Development of a Sporting Boulevard and extensive landscape upgrades around the stadium;
- New public address system;
- New electronic scoreboard.
The new stadium will have a capacity of 28,000, the same as the old venue, but with a greater comfort level and the ability to be used more widely by the general community.