Brunswick Street Oval
Brunswick Street Oval (officially known as the WT Peterson Community Oval) is an oval sports ground located in Fitzroy, an inner-northern suburbs of Melbourne. The ground is most well known as the original home of the Fitzroy Football Club. The ground hosted 612 VFL home and away matches and four finals, until 1966 when the Lions moved to Princes Park. The club has since merged with the Brisbane Bears to become the Brisbane Lions. The Fitzroy name lives on with a VAFA club who continues to play at the ground today.
Brunswick Street Oval features an historic grandstand which was constructed in 1888. It previously also had a second grandstand which has since been demolished. A grass hill surrounds the rest of the playing field, and while as many as 36,000 could cram into the ground in its early days, its capacity is more about the 10,000 mark these days. The ground also hosts cricket and has hosted some soccer matches over the years also, including as home ground of Heidelberg United (then known as Fitzroy United Alexander) in 1975/76, including one NSL game.
Brunswick Street Oval Details
Fitzroy Cricket Ground