International Rugby League

Talk about what's going on in the world of sport.

Who will win the 2009 Four Nations?

Australia
69%
New Zealand
No votes
England
8%
France
23%

Total votes: 13

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

you mean the fact the the nz public actually get a game to go to! they played last year in front of 5000 people. im expecting a similar crowd this year.
in great news the RLIF has finally got off their arses and decentrlaised their tv deals amongst other things

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

keithroosters wrote: are there any players left for the pacific cup!
strong squad though
My guess is that the Samoan and Tongan teams will be made up of the players out of this 45 who aren't in the final squad

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Doesn't that basically make it NZ A v NZ B?

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

I see that NZ have named Bronson Goodwin from the Bulldogs in their squad through the grandparent rule (his grandmother was born in NZ). Only problem was that no one from the NZRL bothered to inform Goodwin of this. As he's Australian born he might want to play for the Kangaroos?

Personally I think that these grandparent rules they have in some international sports are a bit silly. A player should be really only be able to play for the country of his or her birth or those of the parents, not the grandparents. I mean, under current rules I would be eligible to play for Australia (I was born here as was my dad), England (mum, both grandmothers), Scotland (paternal grandfather) or Wales (maternal grandfather). A choice of 4 countries plus Great Britain that I could play for if I was good enough, which I'm not. That to me is quite silly really.

But that's just my opinion isn't it.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

i think its just NZRL establishing as much depth as they can. they got krisnan inu when he was in reserve grade! nathan fien with the grannygate scandal (eventually qualified on residency).i must say though the strategy is working. look at the depth they have now. luke covell adn jason nightingale obviously arent kiwis but theyre an option on the wings. i dont think nz will need them as a full blooded kiwi team looks brilliant on paper but its good to have the option for them. speaking of the kiwi team if kevin lock , russel packer, ben mutilino are all in the starting team watch out aus, eng and france! asatassi out for NZ again! if only stacey agreed to play in the four nations alongside benji marshall.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

HoldenV8 wrote:Personally I think that these grandparent rules they have in some international sports are a bit silly. A player should be really only be able to play for the country of his or her birth or those of the parents, not the grandparents. I mean, under current rules I would be eligible to play for Australia (I was born here as was my dad), England (mum, both grandmothers), Scotland (paternal grandfather) or Wales (maternal grandfather). A choice of 4 countries plus Great Britain that I could play for if I was good enough, which I'm not. That to me is quite silly really.

But that's just my opinion isn't it.
Players should make an election. If they want to change, they should declare a change and after said declaration sit out from interntional RL for a period.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

still not sure if this is feasable but great to see:

[/quote]NRL bid on track

RUGBY LEAGUE
By LESLIE OMARO

AUSTRALIAN rugby league icon and all-conquering Queensland Maroons coach Mal Meninga is confident of PNG’s bid to see a team in the NRL.
But he said for PNG’s NRL dream to come true it needed the community, family, fans, corporate and government support to make it a reality. He also emphasised that violence would not be condoned and that discipline would be very important.
“I’m privileged and honoured to work with the other board members to secure the NRL bid licence. Violence will not be tolerated because we will not condone it and discipline will be very important in having a team in the NRL,” said Meninga, who is a member of the five-member PNG NRL bid team.
Bid team chairman and Minister assisting the Prime Minister Philemon Embel was also confident about the Papua New Guinea National Rugby League (NRL) bid to enter a team in the Australian NRL competition.
Other members of the bid team are NCD Governor Powes Parkop, chairman of Gold Coast Titans NRL team Paul Broughton, former PNGRFL president and businessman Ben Sabumei and chairman of the Kramer Engineering Group Frank Kramer, who all expressed confidence that the bid would achieve its goal.
Despite the recent violence damaging the image of the code, the bid team believes everything is on track.
“Our board here will make it happen and the people of PNG want to make it happen also because they want to live a life of rugby league,” said Embel during a press conference at the Holiday Inn in Port Moresby yesterday.
PNG’s dream of entering Australia’s national rugby league competition became a reality following Prime Minister Sir Michael Somare allocating K500,000 to start the bidding process in February. The National Executive Council endorsed the establishment of a “Bid Team” to put PNG in a position to enter a team in the NRL
And yesterday the PNG NRL bid team gave a positive update on the bidding process at their first press conference, saying a lot of work has already been done with the main target to secure a NRL licence.
Minister Embel said the committee will register two entities, PNG Rugby League Foundation Limited and PNG Rugby League NRL Bid Limited.
Embel said the foundation will be a non-profit organisation directed to develop league and sports in general while the other entity will be a proposed franchise company.
Embel said it will cost between K150 million to K400 million to build a state of the art stadium at the proposed site at Sir Hubert Murray Stadium.
Embel said TV rights would be a major issue but encouraged interested television companies to express their interest as there will be a double tax benefit.
Embel said it would cost the interested TV company K50 million to buy the television rights.
Also a sneak preview of a DVD showing Papua New Guinea’s passion and pride in playing rugby league in the country was shown to members of the media.
Meninga at the end of the DVD session told the media that it was truly emotional and really captures PNG’s passion for rugby league.
“The DVD is really unique and from what I observed some of you had tears forming in your eyes.
“It’s emotional and it goes to show how much this country loves their rugby league,” said Meninga.
The DVD starts off with an introduction of “800 tribes-1 heart” and begins with a small village boy getting himself painted in PNG’s famous tri colours red, black and gold.
It goes on to show a group of little children playing rugby league in the village and then a picture of Kumul and Gold Coast Titans winger David Mead standing at the Skills Park Stadium. Mead appears in several of the scenes, most notably one of him giving his view on the bid and a village boy dreaming of one day playing in the NRL like him. The DVD also features Embel and Meninga talking about the bid and encouraging the PNG community, corporate sector and government to give their support and make the PNG NRL bid successful.
“This bid is serious, it’s here to achieve the goals we have set and the game will belong to the communities, families and fans and we believe there’s passion out there,” said Paul Broughton.
PNGNRL bid general manager Bev Broughton added that a great deal work has been done so far but a lot more work was yet to be done to get the NRL licence.
“Women also have an important place to play in the PNG rugby league and the NRL bid.
“They are at the fore front in administration and I know these dedicated people will lay down the frame work,” said Bev Broughton.
Embel stressed again that the NRL bid was serious and was not another government project or agenda. “This (bid) is done on corporate philosophy, the NRL competition is a multi-million-dollar business and there are very strict criteria and deadlines we must meet.
“If Paul (Broughton) and Mal (Meninga) have accepted to help us in our bid this is no kidding stuff, we are serious about our bid to enter the NRL competition,” said Embel.
Governor Parkop added that Papua New Guineans can’t hide the fact that rugby league has become part of their temporary culture. “It’s a good tool for social and economic benefit because it motivates young people and develops them to be good citizens,” he said.
[quote][/quote]

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

3 Australians included in the french train on squad in Adam Mogg, Clint Greenshields and Casey Maguire. I think Thomas Bosc is the star of this team but i they seem to have good forwards. Number 6 will be a problem if the 3 aussies arent cleared to play by the RLIF

The French train on squad

Eric Anselme (Toulouse)
William Barthau (St Estève/XIII Catalan)
Jean-Philippe Baile (Dragons)
Kane Bentley (Dragons)
Thomas Bosc (Dragons)
Rémi Casty (Dragons)
Vincent Duport (Dragons)
Olivier Elima (Dragons)
Jamal Fakir (Dragons)
David Ferriol (Dragons)
Romain Gagliazzo (Carcassonne)
Tony Gigot (Harlequins)
Cyrille Gossard (Dragons)
Clint Greenshields (Dragons)
Maxime Grésèque (Pia)
Mathieu Griffi (Toulouse)
David Guasch (St Estève/XIII Catalan)
Sébastien Martins (Dragons)
Casey McGuire (Dragons)
Adam Mogg (Dragons)
Christophe Moly (Carcassonne)
Dimitri Pelo (Dragons)
Sébastien Raguin (Dragons)
Julien Rinaldi (Villeneuve)
Teddy Sadaoui (Carcassonne)
Cyril Stacul (Dragons)
Saïd Tamghart (Halifax)
Julien Touxagas (Dragons)
Fred Vaccari (St Estève/XIII Catalan)
Constant Villegas (Toulouse)

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

NZ are going through an injury crisis even wrose than last year. i look forward to the day when they field a full strength side. they still have pritchard, marshall , locke and plenty more players though. the team has real depth these days.
Kearney makes mercy call to Cayless
Kiwis coach Steve Kearney strolled into the enemy dressing room on Sunday night to try to convince a battered, shattered Nathan Cayless to come out of international retirement.

Kearney, assistant coach of National Rugby League premiers Melbourne Storm, confirmed he'd been chasing the beaten Eels skipper to bolster his injury-hit side in the Four Nations tournament in England and France this month.

But Cayless, who overcame a hamstring strain to bravely lead Parramatta in a 16-23 defeat at ANZ Stadium, admitted his broken body may not allow it.

"I don't know, my body's just screaming at me. I think I've re-done the hamstring," Cayless said.

"I've got to do what's best for the club and myself, I've got one more year and it all goes on the line for me. "

Cayless, 31, was physically and mentally pained after playing in his second grand final defeat, after Newcastle in 2001.

The 38-Test veteran called time on his decade-long international career in April after leading the Kiwis to the World Cup title in Brisbane last November.

Kearney admitted he made a mercy call to Cayless as he prepares to name his side on Monday, without injured key forwards Roy Asotasi, Simon Mannering, Sam Rapira, Sika Manu and Jeremy Smith.

"Given the circumstances I made no bones about it, I rang Nathan 3-4 weeks ago to get his thoughts on the situation," Kearney said.

"We'd lost a lot of experienced players so he wanted to wait until after the finals. The hamstring injury threw a bit of a spanner in the works. it's just wait and see."

Eels prop Fuifui Moimoi, their standout player, is a certainty for a recall.

"I'm not thinking about the Kiwis at the moment but if they pick me I'll put my hand up," Moimoi said.

Kearney's 23-man squad will assemble this week in Auckland, and play Tonga in Rotorua on October 14 before departing for their tournament opener against Australia in London on October 25.

Uncapped players in line for selection are young Warriors Kevin Locke, Ben Matulino and Lewis Brown, Manly duo Kieran Foran and Jared Waerea-Hargeaves, Brisbane's Alex Glenn and Bulldogs winger Bryson Goodwin.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

KIWIS v TONGA

ROTORUA INTERNATIONAL STADIUM, ROTORUA

7.30PM, WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2009

NEW ZEALAND KIWIS

1 LANCE HOHAIA (Warriors)
2 BRYSON GOODWIN (Bulldogs)
3 STEVE MATAI (Manly)
4 JUNIOR SAU (Newcastle)
5 SAM PERRETT (Sydney Roosters)
6 BENJI MARSHALL (c) (Wests Tigers)
7 NATHAN FIEN (St George Illawarra)
8 JEFF LIMA (Melbourne)
9 ISSAC LUKE (South Sydney)
10 FRANK-PAUL NUUAUSALA (Sydney Roosters)
11 BRONSON HARRISON (Canberra)
12 FRANK PRITCHARD (Penrith)
13 GREG EASTWOOD (Bulldogs)
Interchange:
14 THOMAS LEULUAI (Wigan)
15 JARED WAEREA-HARGREAVES (Manly)
16 IOSIA SOLIOLA (Sydney Roosters)
17 ADAM BLAIR (Melbourne)

COACH: STEPHEN KEARNEY

kevin locke very unlucky to be overlooked. he might get a run in the four nations though , great goalkicker. bryson goodwin very lucky to be picked IMO

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Now that's a strong side. Even though people here in Oz thought it a fluke the Kiwi's won the World Cup last year, this side can beat the best we Aussies can put against them on any given day.

But Australia will still win the Four Nations.

Just on the Kiwi's.....wonder why Fuifui Moimoi wasn't selected either for the run on or off the bench because his finals form was sensational. Or was there something I've missed?

bigbang
Bronze

Post by bigbang »

Fulltime Kiwis 40 Tonga 24

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

yeah apparantly was a good game. scores were locked at 24 each with 23 minutes left when nz went over a couple of times.
crowd was approx. 8000. not bad considering reports had ticket sales at just over 2000 as late as monday. i guess ppl in Rotorua dont like to pre purcahse tix. kinda like sydneysiders.
appparantly moi moi joined the Tongan huddle at the end of the game. this defiantely says a lot.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

a huge upset last night with Cook Islands Defeating Samoa 22-20. Both teams scores twice. Samoa once again fail to live up to the quality of their team on paper.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

A bad result for international league last night with Scotland thrashing Italy in the opening game of the Erupean Nations last night in Padoa Italy. The score was 104-0 with Scotland scoring 9 tries in each half.
Italy are in the comp due to Russia pulling out at the last minute so the fact that they struggled is no suprise to anyone but 104!
crowd was 2,139. respectable IMO.

In other news England defeated Wales in a friendly last night at Bridgend Wales. 48-12 was the score. Wales are going through a rebuilding phase at the moment and had a lot of players out so the result could have been worse. With a superleague side (Celtic crusaders) in the country now Wales should go pretty well in the 2013 RLWC.