Australian Sport Attendance Records

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
cam
Gold

Post by cam »

And neither do I. Attendance records on this site are strictly sport only. WWE aint sport. Although sometimes I may mention the biggest crowd in the description (ie concerts etc).

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

cam wrote:And neither do I. Attendance records on this site are strictly sport only. WWE aint sport. Although sometimes I may mention the biggest crowd in the description (ie concerts etc).
Good idea - I think the largest crowd at Docklands, of over 60,000 (thousands were on the playing surface) was for a Catholic Mass by Cardinel George Pell. The MCG record crowd of about 130,000 was for a Billy Graham 'crusade' around 1960.

So best to restrict the crowd records to sport - not entertainment like WWE or operas (Verdi's Aida was staged to a packed Princes Park about 1990) or to religious events.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

I do agree that the WWE event shouldn't be counted, even though some see it as a sport and others as sports entertainment. Fact is that no matter how good an athlete a pro wrestler is, he or she is more an actor/stuntman than a sportsman/woman.

As an amateur wrestler they were a sportsman/woman, but not really as a pro. As a pro they are there to put on a good show for the fans and to tell a story line. Sure they are competitive by nature but as much as it pains me to say, they really shouldn't be classed as sportsmen/women.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Insert Chris Benoit reference here.

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Added the Harness Racing record as pointed out by forumers in the Wentworth Park thread.

Got me thinking...should I add sub-records such as Cricket (One Day Internationals),Soccer (Domestic) etc etcor something else of the same sort of thing...

please..feel free to comment or even if you think the Harness one should not be there

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Hopefully it can become a page on the main site eventually. It is worth knowing the record attendances for all sport in the country. Gives a strong indication of how sports orientated we are.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Egan it seems you're reading my mind! Or did I tell you a while back?

Anyway, I'm currently re-doing the crowds section, which includes a page on attendance records. A work in progress, but check out the page here: http://www.austadiums.com/sport/crowd_records.php

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Thinking like a Victorian...

How scary :lol:

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

cam wrote:Egan it seems you're reading my mind! Or did I tell you a while back?

Anyway, I'm currently re-doing the crowds section, which includes a page on attendance records. A work in progress, but check out the page here: http://www.austadiums.com/sport/crowd_records.php
FFS, at least get the terminology right man. 'AFL' is not a type of football, in any case the AFL wasn't around in 1970, and that particular game was most certainly not an AFL grand final.

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Rob wrote:

FFS, at least get the terminology right man. 'AFL' is not a type of football, in any case the AFL wasn't around in 1970, and that particular game was most certainly not an AFL grand final.
Concur. Nothing pisses me off more than being asked if I played AFL as a kid. I played Australian Football. The highest level I reached was WBFL 2nds! And even that was a case of I wasn't good enough to get a game for the U/18s and the 2nds were short those weeks.

(Actually, people who put rear spoilers on crap cars is on a long list of things that piss me off more, but I needed dramatic effect)

Dan
Silver

Post by Dan »

Over to you..Cam!!

Well Done!

:) :)

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Rob wrote:FFS, at least get the terminology right man. 'AFL' is not a type of football, in any case the AFL wasn't around in 1970, and that particular game was most certainly not an AFL grand final.
Get a grip Rob. I'm more of a "Australian Rules Football" person than you. However, we've had this discussion on here before. As a Melburnian, I refer to the sport as "Footy" or "Football", however calling it that is going to confuse the hell out of everyone isn't it! Soccer is now Football. If the term "AFL" is used, everyone knows what we're talking about. As for "Aussie Rules", that's a sh*t Sydney term. "Australian Rules Football" is too long winded to be used on a website. Think: AFL, AFL Victoria, AFL Queensland, AFL Sydney, etc.

Maybe send an email to the two biggest Australian sports websites: www.foxsports.com.au and www.sportal.com.au , get them to change it from "AFL", then I'll follow. :roll: In the meantime, get over it.

Cheers Dan for your input into all the figures. If anyone has updates please post here.

Rob
Gold

Post by Rob »

cam wrote:
Rob wrote:FFS, at least get the terminology right man. 'AFL' is not a type of football, in any case the AFL wasn't around in 1970, and that particular game was most certainly not an AFL grand final.
Get a grip Rob. I'm more of a "Australian Rules Football" person than you. However, we've had this discussion on here before. As a Melburnian, I refer to the sport as "Footy" or "Football", however calling it that is going to confuse the hell out of everyone isn't it! Soccer is now Football. If the term "AFL" is used, everyone knows what we're talking about. As for "Aussie Rules", that's a sh*t Sydney term. "Australian Rules Football" is too long winded to be used on a website. Think: AFL, AFL Victoria, AFL Queensland, AFL Sydney, etc.

Maybe send an email to the two biggest Australian sports websites: www.foxsports.com.au and www.sportal.com.au , get them to change it from "AFL", then I'll follow. :roll: In the meantime, get over it.
The correct name of the game is 'Australian football'.

The correct name for soccer is, and has been for a long time, 'Association football'.

'Aussie Rules', 'Australian rules' and whatever other name, much like 'soccer' is a colloquialism.

I don't mind the term AFL football if you're talking about football played in the AFL. But if you're talking about the sport, clearly the term 'AFL' is not appropriate, simply because it's incorrect. It's not even an appropriate colloquial name of it anymore than soccer is called 'EPL' or American football is called 'NFL'.

And just because some latte drinking knobspank from Sydney with blonde streaks through his hair sitting in the fox sports offices calls the game 'AFL' doesn't mean you have to as well.

It's really not that hard to get the correct names of sports right. the way you talk it's like a fcuking chore to do so.
This isn't a sport vs sport thing, it's simply a matter of what purports to be a credible sporting website getting the name of Australia's most watched game right.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Fox Sports and Sportal aren't credible? :lol:

Gee, all the websites use the term 'Association Football' don't they!!

As I said, we've had this discussion long before your time bud.
Get used to it.

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

cam wrote: ... Rob. I'm more of a "Australian Rules Football" person than you. However, we've had this discussion on here before. As a Melburnian, I refer to the sport as "Footy" or "Football", however calling it that is going to confuse the hell out of everyone isn't it!

Soccer is now Football.
It certainly is by the Sydney media - but this corporate trend has been mostly resisted in Melbourne, where both the HUN and Age refer to Association football as 'soccer', and Australian Football mostly as 'football' or 'footy', as also do the Melbourne TV and radio news news bulletins. Even the vast majority of soccer clubs around Victoria still call themsleves "Clubname Soccer Club", whilst Australian Football clubs simply use the term "Clubname Football Club".

Of course, Cam's point here on "confusing everyone" is based on this website also including NSW/Qld, and not just the states where football generally means Australian Football.
Rob wrote: The correct name of the game is 'Australian football'.

The correct name for soccer is, and has been for a long time, 'Association football'.
Yes, all correct - and the term "soccer" (as an abbreviation for 'Association) was first known to have been used at Oxford Univerisity in 1863 within a couple of months of the founding of 'Association' Football. Its a term still widely used in the codes birthplace, the UK (e.g. just try googling "soccer UK' or 'soccer England' etc and see what you get).

So - no one code can claim to universally own the term 'football' exclusively to itself - in different regions, the term 'football' simply refers to the most popular code - In North America, thats American (or Canadian) football, In Australia, it depends on which state you're in, but the Sydney media have adopted the term 'football' to refer to soccer, in line with certain corporate directions - including the AFL encouraging the use of the term 'AFL' in NSW/Qld as though it owns the whole code. :evil:

Anyway, the bottom line here is that, as Cam states, he made up his mind a while back to use the term 'AFL' for Australian Football. As it's his website, he can pretty much do what he likes. I'm not losing any sleep over it - I'm used to it.