NCAA Division 1-A football stadiums (bandwidth warning)

Chat about stadiums in New Zealand and all around the world!
Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I am doing American History as a unit at Notre Dame at the moment and have been enjoying it. I am thinking of making my own question up based around whether the social/religious/cultural differences between rival sporting team's in America heightened hatred, discrimination or indeed if any team's played a pro-active role in Civil Rights for African American's.

In summary, what I am asking as a question in this topic is whether there where various sporting teams in the United States that became an emphasis for the civil rights for black movement, cited alliegiance with the Ku Klux Klan, promoted an anti-catholic agenda etc etc.

For obvious reason's any connection that Notre Dame University Football team has with any of these movement's would be fantastic. Internet sites that state this would be a bonus, the essay is due in three weeks.

Cheers for any advice or starting points given.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Good question Eges.

Are you interested in Jackie Robinson style segregation stuff? Catholic/Proddie sectarian stuff?

Emphasis on pro sports or collegiate stuff? Any particular sport?

ND doesn't have any particular history on civil rights. Not sure on their history in American sectarianism but because it's the most high profile catholic sporting organisation in the US there's bound to be something. But it'd be more 19th/ early 20th century than anythin rcent.

If gridiron and de-segregation is interesting to you then I can look into that. It would be interesting story because its about how the dominant sport of the most racist part of the US came to be dominated by the people who were excluded for a century. Off the top of my head, northern universities were ahead of southern universities (particularly the SEC) in recruiting black athletes and it was a long time after Jackie Robinson (1970s as opposed to 1950s). I think there's quite a story in how desegragation came about in southern football.

Try this link for a start. It's about how integration hurt black universities on the field but has a lot of the background on the major events and figures.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blackhis ... id=2780876

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Thanks for the responce was also emailed off forum about some tips as well for the essay.

I am interested in anything (no particular sport) probably something that is easily researched from Perth, Western Australia, so I would be relying on academic or solid sources that can be easily found on the internet. I still have to approach the lecturer about my question, but I don't think it would be an issue.

The tip off I received (not sure whether they want to be named) said that in a particular southern university, when they started to admit Black Americans that played in another american state which did not embrace integration, that many believe that this had done more for the Civil Rights Movement in that particular state because they realised that to ever be successful they needed to include black players when they where soundly beaten.

One of my favourite films of all time is Remember the Titans.

I think I will approach it with the Civil Rights movement, my first essay has been on the Ku Klux Klan leader William J Simmons as a portrait, so it would probably be good to look further into the Civil Rights Movement that does interest me especially this quote I received in the email.

I may even ask the American students that are in my class for some tips as well. I just find that I always need to write an essay on something that I am interested to learn more on, not something I already have a basic knowledge of.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Egan wrote: The tip off I received (not sure whether they want to be named) said that in a particular southern university, when they started to admit Black Americans, that many believe that this had done more for the Civil Rights Movement in that particular state
Sounds like Alabakiwi is talking about Wilbur Jackson being recruited by Alabama. Came after Sam Cunningham of Southern California destroyed Bama. Apparently coach Bryant told his all-white team that black players were the wave of the future. Or somthing like that, apparently it's part truth, part myth.
He was a USC All-American fullback in the 1970s whose performance led his team to beat an all-white University of Alabama 42-21 at Birmingham on September 12, 1970 in a primetime matchup that convinced (through his play) Alabama and its fans to let Coach Bear Bryant integrate Southern football. Jerry Claiborne, a Bryant assistant, said, "Sam Cunningham did more to integrate Alabama in 60 minutes than Martin Luther King did in 20 years."

It was alleged for a few years that, after that USC-Alabama game, Coach Bryant summoned Cunningham into the Tide locker room and said to his players, "This is what a football player looks like." The story was not true, however, as many Alabama players who played in the game have attested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Cunningham

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Ahh this article that you posted Simmo is exactly what I was emailed off forum about.
After Southern Cal's Sam "Bam" Cunningham knocked segregated Southern football to its knees in a prime-time game against Alabama in 1970, the doors began to open for black players at schools across the country. As a result, those institutions, underfunded since their foundings, had no advantage over white schools. Once, HBCUs had enough talent to make up for their lack of resources. Now, the talent is gone but the finances are roughly the same.
Although it had bigger implications then just for the sport apparently and played a huge role in the Civil Rights Movement.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Well great minds post things at the same time, near identical posts to each other :wink:

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Egan wrote:Well great minds post things at the same time
List-worthy :D

If you do go down that route make sure to contrast the Bama-USC game with Jackie Robinson and how it took so bloody long to get it done. Might also get a bonus point for its relative obscurity to Australians.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

some more before and after photos for Texas' Dalls K Royal Memorial Stadium
Then:

now:

Hook 'Em
Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em »

Wow, what a great thread. I just happened to stumble on it, lo and behold, you guys are discussing my own school, University of Texas at Austin (commonly called UT for short, unless you go to University of Tennessee).

Coincidence? Nope, has to be fate. I was meant to find this thread in order to show you guys this:

- Why the University of Texas is the single greatest collegiate institution ever designed/conceived/imagined by man (emphasis on MAN) -

This is just ONE of our cheerleader groups, however, they are by far the most famous because of the signature chaps they wear...and the attractiveness thing too. I would say that they are easily the most famous/recognizeable cheerleaders behind the USC Song Girls, who have appeared in this thread already! Maybe I'm biased, but as sweet as those USC Song Girl sweaters are, these girls have them beat by a mile. 8)

Now that the important part is out of the way, I can tell you guys a bit more about the stadium and the school.

As mentioned before, UT sits right in the middle of Austin, Texas, which is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. The city itself is one of the biggest draws about the University.

Some facts about Austin:

1a) Nicknamed "The Live Music Capital of the World" for it's many, many fantastic music venues which have helped the music scene in the city thrive. Austin also holds two huge, famous music festivals each year: Austin City Limits and South By South West Music/Film Festival.

1b) Many of those music venues are bars/clubs on historic Sixth Street, which supposedly holds the record for most bars per block in the U.S. Not coincidentally, UT was declared the #1 Party School in the Country by the Princeton Review in 2006.

2) Austin was chosen by MSN as "The Greenest City in America" (meaning the most environmentally conscious and conservative).

3) Austin is widely considered the liberal and intellectual center of Texas. Residents of the city have adopted an unofficial slogan - "Keep Austin Weird" - which is EVERYWHERE on bumper stickers, shirts, buildings, etc. It is a very free thinking, non-judgmental environment (part of the reason the city is growing so quickly) that's perfect for a University.

4)The "Keep Austin Weird" slogan has also been adopted by the thousands of small businesses in the area that have helped resist any kind of major corporate influence in the area (especially around the university). While this is true of most college towns, in Austin, it really is astounding how preserved the area is.

As far as the university goes, it is one of the rare schools to combine academic AND athletic excellence. There just isn't more you could ask for from the University of Texas at Austin.

But let's talk about football, cause that's what you are here for...right? RIGHT?

That's better.

Because Austin has no professional sports teams, Longhorn Football is king on Saturdays.

Some of our traditions:

1) Slogan: Hook 'Em Horns

2) Hook 'Em Horns Hand signal:

This is the most recognizeable hand signal in college football. Many of our opponents , instead of using their own hand signal/cheers, simply make our hand signal, but upside down instead....even when they aren't playing us. :?

3) Burnt Orange Nation
Rather than choose two colors, we just picked Burnt Orange and slapped it on white. Simple, but very recognizeable in College Football. Like the Maize 'n Blue of Michigan, and the Golden Domes of Notre Dame, Burnt Orange is not mistaken for anything but University of Texas.

4) Smokey the Cannon
An antique artillery gun fired from a corner of the field every time the Longhorns score, during kickoffs and at the end of each quarter. Unlike a few of the other college programs that fire compressed air cannons that just look like cannons, Smokey III, the current cannon, is a fully functioning military cannon and fires up to FOUR 10-guage blank shotgun shells. The result is LOUD.

5) BEVO
Bevo is our massive mascot steer and is among the most recognizeable mascots in American sports. He keeps a vigilant eye from the sidelines at every home game. When I say he is big, I mean his excrement dwarfs most house pets!

Here's the current one, Bevo XIV.

He is somewhat small as he is still quite young. He replaced the old Bevo XIII, who sat/stood on our sidelines for 16 years, in 2004. Here's a pic of the retirement ceremony (notice the size difference):

The origin of Bevo is a long story, so I won't tell it here, but here is a link if you are interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bevo_%28mascot%29

In addition to these traditions, I wanted to describe what a Saturday game at University of Texas is like:

First, the Longhorn Band, nicknamed the Showband of the Southwest, takes the field with Big Bertha, the largest marching band drum in the world.

Big Bertha is a full participant in the marching band's routine, deftly wheeled around and played. Afterwards, the Texas state flag is spread out over one end of the field while the Longhorn Band forms out a block letter T in front of the South Endzone Tunnel. (It's difficult to see from this angle but I didn't have nor couldn't find a better picture)

By this time, the stands are packed to capacity and once the pregame video starts on the Godzillatron, the place starts rocking. At the conclusion of the video, the Texas Longhorns take the field in style, running out of the smokey tunnel in the South Endzone and through the Band's Block-T formation.

Typically, one Longhorn will lead the team out of the smoke with a U.S. Flag in hand as shown here. I have literally gotten goosebumps from this.

Afterwards, the game begins. One great aspect of the stadium is the view of UT's famous tower west of the stadium. When UT wins a game, the top of the tower is immediately lit up Burnt Orange, if it is a conference win, the whole tower lights up Burnt Orange. And if UT reaches number 1 in the country, offices in the tower have their lights left on to form a number 1 pattern. You can see the tower in a post just above mine. Here is a shot of it lit up #1:

(Many games are played in the afternoon or evening early in the season because of the intense heat. This means they can light the tower up right at the conclusion of the game, which makes seeing it from the stadium VERY cool.)

Well that about sums up the University of Texas Longhorn football experience. I know I probably missed something, so I will most likely be updating this as I think of things. I saw that there was some interest in the College football experience so I decided to indulge, I hope you guys enjoyed it.

P.S. Feel free to ask any questions if you want. I'd be happy to answer. I am a RABID football fan and have been to many college games all over the country, I just happen to know UT football a little bit better. :wink:

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Outstanding post, Hook'Em - and thanks again to Simmo for your continuing quality posts here. Remains one of the very best threads.

I have a question for Hook'Em. As a self avowed RABID football fan, attending college games nationwide, what's your attitude to the NFL? Do you support that as well - or not?

Past posts her have been about the greater traditions in the NCAA and greater fan loyalty and invovlementcompared to NFL,. Interested in your comments/comparisons

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Yeah nice one

Thats amazing...and the stadium looks pretty good too :lol:

Well they do say they breed em big in Texas and thats a monster stadium

is the ground grass or astroturf?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Welcome Hook 'Em - another great addition to this thread.
the crow wrote:is the ground grass or astroturf?
IO was going to say FieldTurf but I'm guessing it's real grass. The third last photo shows a browned part of turf near the end zone cameraman.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Jeffles wrote: IO was going to say FieldTurf but I'm guessing it's real grass. The third last photo shows a browned part of turf near the end zone cameraman.
And what's more the ground looks rather beat up in front of the player running out with the flag.

Welcome Hook 'Em

Hook 'Em
Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em »

Hey again everybody, I'm excited to see that you all enjoyed my post!

To answer a few of your questions:

1) It is in fact, real grass. In 2002, the old Astro turf was pulled up and replaced with TifSport Certified Bermuda grass.

2) As far as my opinion of the NFL goes, it has it's positives and negatives just like every level of a sport. I enjoy watching the NFL because the level of play is superior and, as a result, the games tend to be closer and more hotly contested. It also gives me an opportunity to continue watching some of my favorite college players after they move on to the professional level. The NFL also tends to have more player-fan loyalty because you usually get to cheer for the same players year in and year out (although, with the advent of Free Agency, this is becoming less prevalent). Obviously, college players only get four years of eligibility and then they're gone. However, NFL games in person do not offer the same experience as college games. The atmosphere at almost any college football game will far surpass that of any pro game. I find that I can enjoy an NFL game on TV just as much as if I had gone to the game. The same could never be said of a college game because of how intense the atmosphere is. And even though the NFL has superior play, college games still tend to be more exciting because of more big, game changing plays and also more players capable of taking over games by themselves. College football also has long standing traditions and rivalries working in its favor over the NFL too.

All in all, each league has its positives and negatives. Some people prefer one over the other. I personally enjoy both, but for many different reasons.

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

bloody hell look at that

it was raining in LA... :shock: