2032 Brisbane Olympics Stadium

Discuss stadium news, redevelopment, construction & future stadiums.
AustralianFan
Bronze

2032 Brisbane Olympics Stadium

Post by AustralianFan »

2032 SUMMER OLYMPICS - Brisbane/SEQ Bid

Brisbane/South East Queensland is widely considered the frontrunner for the 2032 Summer Olympic Games. Under the ‘Agenda 2020’ and ‘New Norm’ (introduced mid-2019) IOC Rules, the election of the 2032 Host City is very likely to occur well before the previous ‘7-years prior’ rule.

STADIUM OPTIONS

The need for a new Stadium as been discussed versus redevelopment of an existing Stadium.

Here are some recent discussion links and announcements around Brisbane’s 2032 Olympic Stadium.

February, 2019:
From “2032 SEQ Olympic and Paralympic Games Feasibility Study

“Development options discussed:
1. Utilise / adapt existing stadium
2. Develop new stadium (based on legacy need)”

“Prior to the Stadiums Taskforce review, there was an identified need for a 25,000 - 30,000-capacity stadium to supplement Suncorp Stadium at some stage in the period from 2028-2047.
While the Stadiums Taskforce review considered the period up to 2038 it also noted that a future Games and the future of professional sporting codes in SEQ may have a bearing on the need for additional capacity and this should be aligned with key stakeholders,
Therefore, a new stadium has been included in the Indicative Master Plan, allowing for temporary adaptation to increase the seating capacity to 55,000 at Games time.”

Source: https://seqmayors.qld.gov.au/initiative ... uNpagYpw2v
———————————————————————

11 Sep-19
New 80,000-seat Brisbane Stadium To Be Centrepiece of 2032 Olympics Bid
Source: https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/new- ... mpics-bid/
———————————————————————

11 Sep-19
Queensland does not need new 80,000-seat Olympics stadium: Coates
Source: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politi ... 52q69.html
——————————————————————-

12 Feb-20
To date, Albion Park and the neighbouring Allan Border Oval are the frontrunner sites for the main venue.”
Source: https://theurbandeveloper.com/articles/ ... mpic-games

cam
Gold

Re: 2032 Brisbane Olympics Stadium

Post by cam »

The main stadium is an interesting one - what would its purpose be post-Olympics? Would it replace the Gabba or would they both remain?

An article was also posted on Austadiums back in September...

New 80,000-seat Brisbane stadium central to 2032 Olympics bid
Details for Brisbane’s bid for the 2032 Olympics have been revealed, with a new world-class 80,000-seat stadium central to the plans.
Potential locations for the new venue include the RNA Showgrounds, QEII Stadium at Nathan, the Mayne Rodd Rail Yards at Bowen Hills and Albion Park.
https://www.austadiums.com/news/news.php?id=695

London's Olympic Stadium

AustralianFan
Bronze

Post by AustralianFan »

It appears that Albion Park is the favoured site for construction of a new Olympic Stadium. Close by is Allan Border Field to which would be very useful if adapted in Games-mode to an athletics warm-up track.

Legacy considerations of any new venue construction appear heavily in the SEQ Mayors Feasibility Study (link is above) with and points made around the post-games use of a new Stadium that would be around the 55-60,000 capacity at Games time and post-games adapting to a reduced capacit, similar to what occurred after Sydney 2000.

AustralianFan
Bronze

Post by AustralianFan »

“QUEENSLAND DOES NOT NEED NEW 80,000-SEAT OLYMPIC STADIUM: COATES”

by Felicity Caldwell, Brisbane Times, 11:30am September 11, 2019

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politi ... 52q69.html

Queensland does not need to build a new 80,000-seat stadium to host a successful Olympic Games, the committee's bosses in Switzerland have been told.

Australian Olympic Committee president John Coates was part of a delegation invited to discuss to Lausanne, Switzerland, this week to discuss a potential Queensland bid for the Olympics in 2032.

Mr Coates said there was no requirement for a new 80,000-seat stadium in Brisbane, arguing a smaller venue could be built.

"The maximum is 60,000, that's what's been provided in Tokyo, that's what London provided," he said.

"And that could be a stadium that could reduce to a lesser amount afterwards, depending on what the legacy is going to be - no requirement for 80,000."

For the Tokyo Olympic Games in 2020, Japan is building a 68,000-seat stadium with a capacity of more than 80,000 using temporary seating.

The London Stadium was able to host 80,000 spectators for the 2012 Olympics and Paralympics but reopened in July 2016 as the home of West Ham United with 66,000 seats.

Asked if Queensland could therefore use an existing stadium, Mr Coates admitted a new facility would need to be built, saying "there isn't a stadium, to my mind".

"I think there'll be something developed for athletics and the ceremonies, there is an option with the Gabba," he said.

"But probably, I think, a new stadium has to be prepared, but similar to the way that it was done with London, it could reduce to something afterwards.

"The days of 80,000, the days of 115,000 for Sydney is not required."

Mr Coates said the Olympic Games could provide a boost to Australian sport.

"Australian sport needs another impetus; it's 32 years since we had the Games and we know what an impetus that was across a whole range of sports," he said.

"Increased participation, there'll be venues, the venues that have been talked of, the new ones, they're all community venues that will be created in the most part, before the Games, they'll be used by communities, they'll be transformed for the Games and then they'll go back to the communities afterwards."

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said Queensland had 85 per cent of the venues required to host an Olympic Games in 2032.

Ms Palaszczuk said she hoped a value assessment for the Games could be done by the end of November.

International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach described the meeting with the Australian delegation as "excellent and very fruitful".

"We are even more impressed than I was already during my recent visit in Brisbane and Queensland when we could see how advanced the preparations were already at the time," he said.

"We have seen further progress here today when the project has been presented.

"This project has all the ingredients to become a successful candidature."

Ms Palaszczuk plans to fly back to Queensland earlier than expected to deal with the bushfire crisis.

Earlier this year, it was revealed an Olympic Games could be hosted in Queensland with a cost-neutral impact.

The Council of Mayors previously investigated a multi-city bid for the Olympic Games with events across Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast, the Gold Coast, Ipswich, Toowoomba, Redland, Moreton Bay and Logan instead of the traditional single-city bid.

OWilson87
Bronze

Post by OWilson87 »

Yes, I agree that it is beautiful, but isn't it too small, only 80,000 thousand seats? I think that for such an event you need a bigger stadium

AustralianFan
Bronze

Post by AustralianFan »

The days of monster Stadiums for Summer Olympic Games are gone.

Here are examples of the capacities of some recent Summer Games stadia:

2004 Athens: 72,000
2012 London: 80,000
2016 Rio de Janeiro: 60,000
2020/21 Tokyo: 68,000

AustralianFan
Bronze

Post by AustralianFan »

.... and in the future;

2024 Paris: 78,338 Stade de France
2028: Los Angeles 70,516 LA Memorial Coliseum

( these capacity figures are for the Athletics competition at each Games )

Krelo
Bronze

Post by Krelo »

OWilson87 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:23 am Yes, I agree that it is beautiful, but isn't it too small, only 80,000 thousand seats? I think that for such an event you need a bigger stadium
10 years to go, maybe in 2032 there will be no real interest for people to watch competitions on stadium, COVID has changed our lives forever

ssamml
Bronze

Post by ssamml »

Yes, I agree that it is beautiful, but isn't it too small, only 80,000 thousand seats? I think that for such an event you need a bigger stadium
10 years to go, maybe in 2032 there will be no real interest for people to watch competitions on stadium, COVID has changed our lives forever
I think much less
Like in a year or two the stadiums will be completely crowded with people
at least I'm hoping they would!