A-LEAGUE 2015/16

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
cam
Gold

A-LEAGUE 2015/16

Post by cam »

Ok, after 10,331 posts & almost 762,000 views, it's time to open a season-specific A-League thread instead of using this one created back in 2004.

Two rounds in. Here's my crack at predicting the ladder.

Melbourne Victory
Sydney FC
Melbourne City
Brisbane Roar
Wellington Phoenix
Adelaide United
Newcastle Jets
Perth Glory
Western Sydney Wanderers
Central Coast Mariners

cam
Gold

Re: A-LEAGUE 2015/16

Post by cam »

Wellington Phoenix's future looking shaky after FFA rejected their 10 year extension. Crowds aren't great. It wasn't long ago they pulled over 31k for a final at Westpac Stadium. I'm hoping they stay in but find an alternate venue for the bulk of their home games (as they had previously mentioned) and just play a few larger games at Westpac. What's everyone's thoughts?

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

I see the FFA's point. They spend about $37m pa keeping the A-League running and all but the SkyNZ payment is generated in the Australian market. FFA spend more of Phoenix' participation than the club delivers into central coffers i.e. they are being subsidised by Australians to play in our League. That needs to stop and Phoenix need to be working their local market to increase payments made to central funds not just their club's revenue.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Seems to me a wee bit of brinkmanship to get a message through to NZ football. We're sending our money in and not getting much in return. $180k for 5 years of television is an insult.

No denying however there's more variables here. AFC doesn't like us propping up an OFC team, especially when half its players go in to the national team that then knock an AFC team out of world cup qualification.

Then there's the lack of a suitable playing ground. The caketin is an impressive unit but not for football. Fukn thing gives me a headache looking at the bright yellow seats and buning a hole in the retina. On this point however... it's what they signed up with. If it was good enough to allow them in it's a bit rich to complain 5 years down the track.

The mooted alternative team in Sutherland is an interesting prospect. I don't see much more upside than being a CCM mkII. But with consolidation in Sydney, and the prospect of fixtures against SFC and WSW... might be enough to get over the line. But the idea of a regional team taking in the Illawarra aswell is too rich for me. I'd prefer the Gong any old day, and we can't have both - Newcastle/Gosford struggle enough next to each other.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

The AFC issue is probably the biggest of the lot, because it's basically an issue that is out of the FFA's control.

The other things are workable - WPFC and NZF should be driving harder to get TV interest and dollars, WPFC should be participating in the NYL and WWL, ultimately I think the answer is actually having more than one NZ team to cement some interest on that side of the ditch. In the long term, hit up Auckland, Christchurch and Dunedin perhaps? Gives up to four games a week for Sky NZ to have home interest in, also brings in derbies. Adds to value on this side of the ditch too - Fox will always be after more content.

But without solving the AFC issue, I think we're in a bind.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

dibo wrote:The other things are workable
The headache that bright yellow stadium gives me isn't fukn workable

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

You mean you don't wear sunglasses to watch their games?

But seriously, the sooner they can move to a ground like Hutt Rec the better.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Remember this proposal. They were looking to move into a new purpose-built 12,000-seat stadium in time for the 2016/17 season.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a- ... 6829434185

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

cam wrote:Remember this proposal. They were looking to move into a new purpose-built 12,000-seat stadium in time for the 2016/17 season.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a- ... 6829434185
Well hurry the f**k up and:

1) build it

2) join AFC

3) contribute something meaingful to the media rights. And they can spare me the pov story, they paid $40 million for the rleague rights.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

The residents didn't want them there.

Sky Sports is seriously a racket, a sub par sports network compared to Fox Sports.

Glad I am heading there for perhaps the last season.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Sky Sports is seriously a racket, a sub par sports network compared to Fox Sports.
On this, I wonder what will happen to fox sports coverage in future seasons. They lost the rights for EPL to Optus. Fox were getting some very good synergies in presenting EPL and HAL, not to mention exploiting some cross promotion. Things could go either way. They either double down on HAL coverage to compensate or scale back. Being a summer sport helps at least as they won´t screw us for the other football codes... or basketball.

Another possibility is they go harder for La Liga. Rather than contrast the skill and speed of HAL and EPL they can contrast the manliness with La Liga.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Cocksmoker article, so taken with a grain of salt.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/west ... m6ikm.html

Of interest:
The fact that Parramatta Stadium is about to kick off the NSW government's $1.6 billion stadium blitz in Sydney, the fact that a redeveloped Allianz Stadium is now likely to stay at its 45,000-capacity, and the fact that the NRL is now looking to share Perry Park for a new boutique stadium in Brisbane, are all indicators that football is getting a stronger voice where it counts.
Never heard anything about rugby loogie going to Perry Park. Sounds like bs, but interesting.