A-LEAGUE launch: "New Football"

Discuss AFL, Rugby League, Football, Cricket and any other Aussie Sport!
yob
Platinum

Re: A-LEAGUE launch: "New Football"

Post by yob »

I'm not sure what's funnier. The sign hovering above the yellow fever that says "CROWDED HOUSE."

...or that they misspelled "Crouded"

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

:lol:

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Oh.

Oh dear.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Ah that's the crowd from last game. So that explains the spelling mistake in the crowd this time round.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Did anyone catch Mark Janko on Shootout (fox). What a f***ing classic this guy is. The mix of serious sounding german speaker, german uptalk, and jokes, it's just too much. "Yes at the moment he (Corey Gamero) showed me the Coco Pops does taste quite good." :lol:

skippy
Bronze

Post by skippy »

I see Brisbane Roar are taking their three ACL fixtures to the Gold Coast. If they want to create a following on the coast, perhaps they should change their name to Queensland Roar.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

skippy wrote:I see Brisbane Roar are taking their three ACL fixtures to the Gold Coast. If they want to create a following on the coast, perhaps they should change their name to Queensland Roar.
It was more that they weren't sure if Dave Grohl was ready to slot in to the XI just yet.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

http://www.brisbaneroar.com.au/article/ ... xym1lh20qy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What a fukn belter. The AFC has fined Brisbane Roar over a banner away at Urawa Red Diamond saying the fans were having a "whale of a time." AFC doesn't do politics.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Years ago when Persik Kediri player at Parramatta there was a "Free West Papua" banner hanging over the fence at the north end (until half time) and a fella in the away support was wearing a Kopassus beret.

Good times.

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

yob wrote:http://www.brisbaneroar.com.au/article/ ... xym1lh20qy

What a fukn belter. The AFC has fined Brisbane Roar over a banner away at Urawa Red Diamond saying the fans were having a "whale of a time." AFC doesn't do politics.
Football authorities in general only 'do' politics when they are schmoozing elected leaders to get special treatment wrt tax and the like for events like the World Cup. They find it much more difficult to schmooze leaders with questionable morals if the fans display banners reminding people of uncomfortable 'truths' :( So rather than let the innocuous ones slide as they could have in this instance, the authorities just take a blanket zero tolerance position on any banner that could jeopardise their schmoozing. Japan knows the rest of the world is against its whaling and it is a particular sore point for our Nipponese neighbours. especially when "big nosed whiteys" start 'lecturing' them.

Its not just AFC:
IIRC A couple of years ago in a UEFA CL game A German club were fined because its fans displayed a banner stating:the classic Monty Pythonism: "Romani ite domum" as the AS Roma players ran out onto the pitch. While the rest of the football world were appreciative of the rare display of German humour :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , UEFA were not so impressed.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Adelaide_United_Red wrote: Football authorities in general only 'do' politics when they are schmoozing elected leaders to get special treatment wrt tax and the like for events like the World Cup. They find it much more difficult to schmooze leaders with questionable morals if the fans display banners reminding people of uncomfortable 'truths' :( So rather than let the innocuous ones slide as they could have in this instance, the authorities just take a blanket zero tolerance position on any banner that could jeopardise their schmoozing. Japan knows the rest of the world is against its whaling and it is a particular sore point for our Nipponese neighbours. especially when "big nosed whiteys" start 'lecturing' them.
I thought it was because FIFA doesn't like fans beating the sh*t out of each other

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Says a bit about Sydney FC that I can't decide if this is an April Fool's prank or not.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/gran ... r9pjunxeo7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Adelaide_United_Red
Silver

Post by Adelaide_United_Red »

yob wrote:
Adelaide_United_Red wrote: Football authorities in general only 'do' politics when they are schmoozing elected leaders to get special treatment wrt tax and the like for events like the World Cup. They find it much more difficult to schmooze leaders with questionable morals if the fans display banners reminding people of uncomfortable 'truths' :( So rather than let the innocuous ones slide as they could have in this instance, the authorities just take a blanket zero tolerance position on any banner that could jeopardise their schmoozing. Japan knows the rest of the world is against its whaling and it is a particular sore point for our Nipponese neighbours. especially when "big nosed whiteys" start 'lecturing' them.
I thought it was because FIFA doesn't like fans beating the sh*t out of each other
Could be a bit of that in it too. More so in Europe you'd think than here in Asia. Both first and second great unpleasantness occurred principally in Europe and also Lord knows those Balkan guys hold grudges longer than the Irish!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

My basket case club look like getting most of their points deducted...

Let's hope Sage packs up his bags and heads home...done enough damage on the club.

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

Egan wrote:My basket case club look like getting most of their points deducted...

Let's hope Sage packs up his bags and heads home...done enough damage on the club.

Stop complaining. At least your club has points unlike mine this season.