Politics 08

Discuss anything and everything, right here!
Jeffles
Platinum

Re: Politics 08

Post by Jeffles »

Well I was wrong on that one. Wilkie did withdraw support. Can we thank Albo for that? Am I right in saying that he got Slipper to the Speaker's chair?

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

There's withdrawing support and there's withdrawing support. He's said he won't support a no-confidence motion except in the case of serious misconduct, as if all the indies wouldn't be heading for the hills at that point anyway.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I see.

Just on pokies reform and the politics surrounding it, the outcome reached is the most realistic. And it is good to see the Govt trying to get Queanbeyan and Yass onside. Lavington Sports, Queanbeyan Leagues and Tweed Heads Seagulls are just three examples of what can happen when there are attractive gaming venues over the border. Pokies do sh*t me but it's more than what is being debated. In NSW, Carr parachuted them in to pubs, first with 15 machines and now with 30. At the same time, they're not less obligation than clubs are to distribute some of their earnings to community causes. And on that, the mandatory distribution clubs need to make is pretty miniscule compared to what they earn from the machines. Canberra won't get the states onsdie unless they get something in return. Gaming revenue is big for many states. Unless the Commonwealth can lock in another untied funding source, I understand why states are reluctant to back Canberra.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Dunno much of what went on behind to get Slipper the chair.

I'm interested by Julia's official line that Wilkie's poker machine changes didn't have the votes in the HOR. Perhaps Oakeshott annd Windsor can clear up whether it's because of their 2 votes, or because a combination of Julia not wanting to honour a deal or not having control of her own backbench?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I think the Labor Backbench squashed it.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Egan wrote:I think the Labor Backbench squashed it.
Well if that's the case then call an election because this country doesn't have a government.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Windsor was a definite no, Oakeshott was 'concerned' and wanting more detail. Crook was opposed to greater Commonwealth regulation over State matters.

If Albo thought he could get the numbers, he'd be gagging to do it even if only to spite those who thought he couldn't.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Trans-Tasman Cabinet Meeting on atm.

In NZ it was mentioned in their press and wait for it, their biggest concern was that Tasmania had banned the importation of NZ apples.

Do they realise Tasmania is a basketcase, European style economy? lol.

I do notice they have set up the World Cup Committee to begin the preparations of the 2015 Cricket World Cup.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

:popcorn:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I'm hoping like hell Abbott over extends himself on this issue...

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

:popcorn:

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Meatloaf gets involved in the US presidential campaign

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/mus ... 28e4d.html

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Speaking of the US elections, I recommend this predictions blog:
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/ (Obama is at 73.6% chance of winning and is slowly trending upward)

and this book by the same guy:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Signal-Noise- ... 159420411X
In keeping with his own aim to seek truth from data, Silver visits the most successful forecasters in a range of areas, from hurricanes to baseball, from the poker table to the stock market, from Capitol Hill to the NBA. He explains and evaluates how these forecasters think and what bonds they share. What lies behind their success? Are they good—or just lucky? What patterns have they unraveled? And are their forecasts really right? He explores unanticipated commonalities and exposes unexpected juxtapositions. And sometimes, it is not so much how good a prediction is in an absolute sense that matters but how good it is relative to the competition. In other cases, prediction is still a very rudimentary—and dangerous—science. Silver observes that the most accurate forecasters tend to have a superior command of probability, and they tend to be both humble and hardworking. They distinguish the predictable from the unpredictable, and they notice a thousand little details that lead them closer to the truth. Because of their appreciation of probability, they can distinguish the signal from the noise.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I only recently got told of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskins_Rule

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Go Redskins....seriously America..... Think about it president Mitt?.....it is one step away from president billy bob.....FFS.