International Rugby League

Talk about what's going on in the world of sport.

Who will win the 2009 Four Nations?

Australia
69%
New Zealand
No votes
England
8%
France
23%

Total votes: 13

IanRitchie
Platinum

Re: International Rugby League

Post by IanRitchie »

speak of the devil, the presale for warriors members starts today.

they don't seem to say that (nfi why!) but the general comments of approval and disapproval are by and large the same.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

4N starts tomorrow. England's forward pack is unbelieveably good - as good as their backs are a mish-mash. If Manu et al out side don't run over England the Poms are in with a shot.

Australia will put 60 on PNG at Parra.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

did spud ever come back after the world cup?

i feel like i've asked that before.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

He hasn't - but he's on LU and totalrl.com

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

wow - wales defeated france 12-11 to qualify for the four nations next year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_l ... 115047.stm

impressed.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

It was a scrappy game. France should've won but they didn't. Their loss. They had some great crowds for this tournament.

England were poor. Too slow from marker and the halves were lacking in creativity. You'd also think their threequarters had never seen an inside pass or a cut out. PNG can be proud. They made a real fist of it for a 42-0 loss.

NZ looked really good. If Luke started on the field they would have reached 30 by half time.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

30,000 tickets sold for the eden park double header

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

Huge Support for the Kiwis
With 35,000 tickets to the Eden Park double header already sold, the NZRL is pleased to be able to release the final few thousand tickets to this weekends Four Nations matches.

With England and PNG vying for the chance to go home with one tournament win and the Kiwis and Australians competing for first round points before the final in Brisbane this should be an exciting evening. Click Read More to buy your tickets now.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

I hate to say it but when you look at Englands performance in the 2008 WC and their so far dismal performance in the 2010 Two Nati....er....Four Nations, I think its time they think about going back to being Great Britain when playing Australia or New Zealand to be at least competitive. Ok, sure, they made last years Four Nations final but they hardly impressed anyone in getting there.

I'm all for international rugby league, so long as its competitive. Unfortunately right now, only Australia and New Zealand are proving competitive. England, France, PNG (and I fear Wales next year) are really just making up numbers and that is not a good thing, especially for England.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

i dont think it will make a difference. gareth thomas wouldnt have made the great britain team and neither would lee briers. england have the individual talent to compete. i mean a squad with sam burgess, gareth ellis, adrian morley , adam peacock, earl crabtree and kyle eastmond in it is a great squad. its just that the NRL has left superleague behind.
29,500 sold for the final as of tuesday.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

GB would not include any non-England players so it wouldn't make a difference. The lack of intensity in SL week to week remains a problem but it is slowly improving from the big four dominance of a decade ago. Players playing here in Oz will make a difference too.

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

Yeah I see your points about non-England players currently standing up to warrant selection for a Great Britain side. And I also agree that England definitely have talent to actually win the Four Nations. The SL just doesn't have the same intensity we do in the NRL. The many wins by English clubs in the World Club Challenge has given them a false sense of the SL's worth. In the last two years Manly and Melbourne have shown the gap at club level when the NRL team actually takes the game seriously.

The gap at international level between Australia, New Zealand and England isn't as bad as their performances have shown. Their problem is that only a few of their squad are capable of playing hard, fast football for the full 80. Question is, how do you fix that because it needs fixing.

I'd be interested to see what an NRL based only Kiwi team could do against the best XIII Australia can throw at them.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

What was the crowd at Eden Park?

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

hot_dogma wrote:What was the crowd at Eden Park?
44k something

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

What is the new capacity?