International Rugby League

Talk about what's going on in the world of sport.

Who will win the 2009 Four Nations?

Australia
69%
New Zealand
No votes
England
8%
France
23%

Total votes: 13

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

raw growth is less the issue than competitiveness. The more unpredictable RL can be internationally the more seriously the broader RL public will take it.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

Auckland blackout threatens to deny fans

Auckland could miss out entirely on genuine international rugby league next year despite the Four Nations being hosted down under, NZRL chief executive Jim Doyle has admitted.

Plans for a double-header pitting the Kiwis against the Kangaroos and England against Papua New Guinea at Eden Park may be stymied by a competing bid from AMI Stadium in Christchurch.

And the Sunday Star-Times understands issues over Eden Park's resource consent for floodlighting late-night matches won't help its case to host the November double-header – which shapes as an attractive debut fixture for the remodelled venue.

Eden Park may instead get the consolation prize of hosting the 2011 Anzac test between New Zealand and Australia, which could return to New Zealand for the first time in 14 years.

Doyle said the double-header was not "definitely" set for Christchurch, but admitted that AMI Stadium bosses – who have just successfully bid for the Roosters-Warriors NRL game – had tabled an "extremely good" bid.

He conceded Eden Park's resource consent had been an issue.

Eden Park is permitted to turn on the floodlights for only a fixed number of nights per year.

With Australian TV not wanting the telecast to start before its evening news had finished, the earliest kickoff time for the late game of the double-header was 8pm.

"In discussions we had more recently with Eden Park, that seems to have been resolved, they are working with the council on that," said Doyle.

"[Originally], as soon as we had finished, they would have switched the lights off and people would have found it hard to get out of the place. They know it is an issue they have to address going forward as part of the [rugby] world cup campaign."

With New Zealand's game against England likely to go to Westpac Stadium in Wellington, and Waikato Stadium and Rotorua the frontrunners to host the final Kiwis pool game against PNG, Auckland may be left with only a Kiwis warm-up game against Pacific Island opposition. A New Zealand-Samoa game would not be a big ratings winner with Auckland fans: barely 5000 fronted for a similar friendly with Tonga two years ago.

Doyle couldn't confirm the venues because he and the bidding stadia were waiting on the NZRU's decision on whether to cut next year's Air NZ Cup from 14 teams to 10. Some grounds have said that rugby final bookings could take precedence, but because of the demands of English and Australian TV audiences, league bosses want guaranteed Saturday night slots.

"We are still working with the venue holders and the Australians and we certainly can't finalise anything – the spanner in the works is the [Air NZ Cup]," Doyle told the Star-Times.

Ad Feedback "The NPC never know where the final is going to be until the competing teams are known and that means some stadia can't guarantee a game on the Saturday night."

The Star-Times can reveal the tournament dates are October 23 for New Zealand v England, October 30 for New Zealand v PNG, October 6 for the double-header and October 13 for the final in Australia.

KIWIS SKIPPER Benji Marshall flew in to Auckland last night for the funeral of his adoptive father, who died last week. The funeral is to be held in Whakatane.
one other point in this article is that Christchurch will host a warriors v roosters NRL game. seems Christchurch has taken a keen interest in league after a significant absence from the city

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

lets hope this can be as successful as the RLEF in Europe:
Pacific Islands rugby league body formed
Tuesday, 08 December 2009

IN an historic move last Friday, the Pacific Rim nations united to form the Pacific Islands Rugby League Federation (PIRLF), an affiliate of the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF).

The PIRLF is a partnership between Papua New Guinea, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and the Cook Islands.

To date these passionate rugby league-playing nations had acted in isolation of each other in the development of rugby league.

That has now changed.

Through the collaboration of PIRLF, the Pacific nations have strengthened their position.

They would now speak with one voice in the interest of rugby league and will use the game as a tool for social change.

PIRLF will advance development and create opportunities in rugby league for youth in the region and internationally.

PIRLF will focus on U16s and U18s and facilitate educational opportunities including coaching, refereeing and development of administrative and officiating skills.

It is also committed to promoting healthy living of youth in the Pacific Rim region and will be involved in talent identification programmes to provide opportunities to youth to play at elite levels.

PNG Sports Minister and chairman of the PNG NRL Bid Committee Philemon Embel has been appointed chairman of the PIRLF and will represent the interests of PNG during the transition phase of the PNGRFL board.

Embel said he fully supported the newly appointed PNGRFL board and said: “PNGRFL needs a new face. The new board must be given an opportunity to take over rugby league for the future.

Embel said: “The formation of PIRLF is an historic occasion and I am looking forward to working with my Pacific brothers to drive social change in the region through rugby league.

“In PNG, we are actively progressing the development of infrastructure for the benefit of rugby league.”

The directors of PIRLF said the body would bring the people of the Pacific together with “one voice and one heart providing a structured path for Pacific Rim youth”.

keithroosters
Bronze

Re: International Rugby League

Post by keithroosters »

a recent article i wrote for www.rugbyleagueplanet.com for anyone intersted. i have included the interview:
State of the Nation - Italy

Keith Whitelock 15/1/2010

There are four words that go straight to the heart of most international Rugby League fans: "what could have been". What could have been if rugby league wasn't outlawed in France during the second world war by the Vichy government, what could have been if South Africa had continued their development from the 1960's, what's looking like what could have been if Russia got their act together, and to a lesser known extent, what could have been in Italy.

Italy, of course is a fanatical football (soccer) country with an ever growing rugby union viewership and participation rate. This rugby union following has in some ways helped in establishing a small yet vocal league following centred around Padova. Essentially, "the oval ball game has already been introduced to Italy, laying a lot of the groundwork" says Carlo Napolitano, head coach / technical director of Italian Rugby League and the man responsible for the bi-annual Mediterranean cup, in a recent interview with Rugby League Planet.

League was established prior to the 1950's in Italy and went on throughout the decade to become somewhat of a shining light for European teams. So much so in fact that the most prestigious team in the world, Australia, toured the country playing games in Padova and Treviso. Each of these games attracted crowds of over 3,000. Italy was regularly thought to have a bright future in world rugby league. This was not to be, at least not yet, as Italian Rugby League declined throughout the 1960's to become non existent for an entire 30 years.

As is the case with many rugby league playing nations, Italy's renascence is credited to enthusiastic supporters that grew up on the game in Sydney, Australia. Mick Pezzano and John Benigni, passionate about their heritage wanted the see the game they love played by the country of their heritage. Their wish was granted when Italy played in the 1995 rugby league world sevens.

Italy continued chipping away at progress for the next 15 years with the limited resources they had managed to acquire. They participated in a couple more 7's and 9's games, managing a runners up performance in the emerging nations world cup 2000 before graduating to the lower tier European tournaments such as the European Shield and European Bowl. Buoyed by ambition to compete with larger fish in European Rugby League, Italy weren't content to compete annually in what Carlo calls "development tournaments" which they won convincingly in 08 and 09.

Their big break came when Russia pulled out of the 2009 European Cup due to "internal restructuring". Italy took this opportunity with both hands. Although given extremely limited preparations of only one month, Italia XIII managed to put together a competitive squad and successfully promote their home game in Padova. In fact this home game received one of the highest crowds of the growing tournament; 2,139. "I think getting 2000 people to a Rugby League game in Italy is beyond our wildest dreams but a lot of thanks must go to the Italian Rugby League Federation (FIRL) committee on getting the promotion of the game. But we have set a bench mark and it would be good to achieve this again" says Carlo.

Unfortunately, Italy struggled to compete with more developed and prepared teams going down to a well trained Scotland side 104-0 in their first game. "you have to remember, some of these players had had only three games of Rugby League in their life. I was worried that it would be a safety concern" says Carlo. Italy followed this up with an improved performance in Lebanon going down 86-0.

Undeterred and still full of enthusiasm and passion for the game, the Italians managed to qualify for the 2010 European Cup by defeating Serbia 42-14 in a relegation match. "I think being in the Euro Cup in 2010 will help immensely in procuring some major sponsorship from big companies" says Carlo.

With the uniqueness of international Rugby League, inequities often present themselves. One of the major inequities that contribute towards development of a country is migration to traditional league countries such as Australia, thus providing some countries with a lot more "heritage" options than others. For example, Russia does not have a history of significant migration, especially to Rugby League powerhouses. This is a continuing problem for organisations such as the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) and the Rugby League European Ferderation (RLEF) to moderate. "I would be happy for the European Cup quota be a named 30 man squad with 10 being on the domestic quota; reside in Italy, have an Italian passport or have played in the domestic league" says Carlo.

Italy however, has a lot of heritage players that will help develop the game both domestically and internationally. This is partly due to the highly successful Australian - Mediterranean Cup. "After another hard stint in Italy I sat down in my house physically and mentally exhausted and thought to myself 'there must be a way we can get other people interested to assist in the development of Rugby League in European countries'. Hence, I started to write the plan for the Aus-Med cup and sent it to Malta, Lebanon and Greece". With Lebanon declining, an invitation went out to Portugal who now compete bi-annually in the tournament that helps develop heritage players.

With what appears like an abundance of heritage players at their disposal, Italy will more than likely have a very different looking team competing in 2010. With time to prepare for the European Cup this year, great things are expected in many circles.

2009 marked the year of Italy's inaugural domestic competition. Four teams participated in what has generally been considered a success. 2010 will see two new teams added to this competition with another two in 2011, A major positive for Rugby League is the emphasis that the FIRL is placing on developing their domestic competition. As part of a broad 10 year plan the FIRL hopes to have a growing 10-12 team competition in place, possibly with a "Serie A" and "Serie B" grade system. Eventually a Southern Italy Competition is hoped to be formed to run alongside the already established Northern Italy competition. Emphasis is also placed on having a junior league up and running by the end of 2010.

So what's in store for the future of Italian Rugby League? The nation will be aiming to make the 2013 Rugby League World Cup to be hosted by Britain. This will be Italy's first senior level World Cup. It is also hoped that the country's domestic competition gain a solid foothold and go from strength to strength. Oh and "you cant rule out the possibility of having a Super League side in the near future playing out of the Venice/ Padova area". Some food for thought those who wish to see a truly European Super League.

Interview:

the accompanying interview with head coach/ technical director of Italy Carlo Napolitano:

1. Where do you see Italia XIII in 10 years time?

Hopefully we can see FIRL (Italian Rugby League Federation) delivering a domestic league format with 10 to 12 teams in different grades, maybe an Serie A & B. In addition to these open age competitions FIRL are currently work hard to have a Junior Rugby League of the ground by the end of 2010. Also you can not rule out the possibility of having a Super League side in the near future playing out of the Venice/Padova area. All the plans I have mentioned are a part of the FIRL 10 year Development strategy.

2.Italy featured in the 09 European cup at short notice. This short notice is commonly believed to be the reason so many authentic domestic players were used. With Italy having a full 12 months to prepare for 2010’ European cup it will be very tempting to field a team entirely of heritage players. Will this be the case?

Yes we did fill in at extremely short notice, we had only one month to prepare for the competition and I thought every player who participated learnt a lot from the experience. You have to remember some of the players had only played 3 games of Rugby League in their life. I was worried that it would be a safety concern. However, they did a great job and I was very proud of their efforts. To answer the question of will we use mostly heritage players in 2010? FIRL is committed to playing its strongest side as a national identity to continue its promotion of the sport in Italy. Every player will have to prove their eligibility through documentation. FIRL will work with the rules put in place by the RLEF for a domestic and heritage players. We have players playing in the Super league and NRL who want to play for the country of their Parents/Grandparents birth. I believe that is their right as a person and a player.

3. What role does Australia’s Mediterranean cup have to play it Italian rugby league?

Well I the reason I wrote the Aus-Med Cup was to help with the development back in the domestic country. I believe we are so far behind Rugby Union in the international game if we don’t act now the gap will be too far to close. So after another hard stint in Italy I sat down in my house mentally and physically exhausted and thought to myself “there must be a way we can get other people interested to assist in the development of rugby league in the European countries”. Hence, I started to write the plan for the Aus-Med Cup and sent it to Malta, Lebanon and Greece (Lebanon declined and was replaced by Portugal). All the Countries explained that this is what was needed. The Competition at Club Marconi, Sydney was a massive success from it we have ignited a flame in players and coaching staff to realise that rugby league needs their help. I think we have to use Australia’s place in the game to assist the promotion of the game globally. Many of the player who played for the nations may have been born in Australia but they were brought up with a Italian, Greek, Maltese of Portuguese childhood. Many can speak their language and are proud of their heritage.

4. Has Italy receive any financial assistance from the RLIF, in particular profits from the world cup 08?

I’m not sure as the money is filtered down to its organisations. The RLEF would have received some money and no doubt that went towards the running of the Euro Cup, Shield, Bowl..etc. I think the RLWC 08 made around $4 million? But when you filter that down to the organisations around the world and think how much it costs to run a competition like the Euro Cup. It is easy to think that it doesn’t make a dent in promoting the game. However, the RLWC 08 made a profit and this a start. I think we have to thank Tas Batteri and the World Cup staff on putting a well run competition together.

5. Will rugby league ever be able to compete with rugby union in Italy?

I’m not a big fan of competing against another sport.. I think the term of co-existing is a better way to explain it. I think FIRL will have to create a following then think about when the Rugby League season starts in relation to the union season. I know that FIRL are having talks with the Italian Rugby Union to discuss the co-existence. A lot of the top Rugby Union players do want to try Rugby League, however they are unable to due to their contract. I would like to see the Italian Rugby League assist the Rugby union and share information so we can be strong in both sports. Union players that try Rugby League love it and they are hooked straight away, however without Union we would have a lot more work to do and I personally thank union for introducing the oval ball to the Italian public.

6. With the limited finances that a developing rugby league nation faces, which areas in Italy will the future focus on?

I think being in the Euro Cup in 2010 will help immensely in procuring some major sponsorships from big companies. I would like to see a Development Competition like the Euro Shield being a curtain raiser to all Euro Cup games. This would give a bigger presence to the games and attract more public to the games. I think the biggest area that the RLEF must work on is the area of domestic TV. We have to get Rugby League on TV to get it to the public. This is an area the RLEF needs to have a dedicated person to deal with all the nations to make this a reality.

7. Italy received a crowd of over 2000 in their European cup game of 09 in Padoa. Are expectation even higher for their 2010 game?

I think getting 2000 people to a Rugby League game in Italy is beyond our wildest dreams but a lot of thanks must go to the FIRL committee on getting the promo of the game. But we have set a bench mark and it would be good to achieve this again.

8. Do you think the RLIF should re-introduce a compulsary domestic quota to all international teams in the hope of fairness to nations with no real migrational history to league playing nations i.e serbia? are you willing to be credited as a source? if so what title would you like to go under?,

I would be happy to see the quota for the Euro Cup be a named 30 squad member with 10 being on the domestic quota (reside in Italy, have an Italian passport or have played in the domestic league). When the squad of 30 has been named it should be enough to deal with any injuries that occur. We had some real problems with injury in the Euro Cup 09 but we worked with the rules set in place by the RLEF and due to the success of the Aus-Med Shield we had experienced players who replaced the injured squad members. I think the Euro Cup is the strongest competition and the emphasis is definitely on winning as many games as possible. I think the Euro Shield and Bowl are development competitions. Italy did time in the Shield competition, and won both years (08 & 09). We proved to the RLEF that we were ready for the Euro Cup. Hopefully, we can raise a few eyebrows in the Euro Cup 2010.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

"Three games of rugby league in their whole life" - yet they supposedly have a four team domestic competition for which results cannot be properly found on the web or elsewhere. Then they ring in a bunch of other people from Australia and the UK. It's these sorts of ventures that take away from the real hard workers get the shits.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

haha, right you are jeffles. as stated in the article the domestic comp will be expanded to 6 teams this year. re 2009 though, there was a clear inequity between the clubs so they played a very small competition between them with bigger plans for 2010. i think they're pinning a lot of hopes on the 2010 European cup. bad news if Serbia win their official complaint

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

Four Nations schedule:

October 23: New Zealand v England, Westpac Stadium, Wellington

October 24: Australia v Papua New Guinea, Parramatta Stadium

October 30: New Zealand v Papua New Guinea, International Stadium, Rotorua

October 31: Australia v England, Melbourne venue TBC

November 6: England v Papua New Guinea, Eden Park, Auckland

November 6: New Zealand v Australia, Eden Park, Auckland

November 13: Tournament Final, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

Be part of history. Get your ticket to the official opening of Melbourne’s new state-of-the-art rectangular sporting stadium. Four Nations champions Australia will clash with World Champions New Zealand in the annual VB Test Match.

You won’t want to miss this match. For years to come you’ll be able to tell your friends and family you were at the first ever match at the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium. Tickets will sell quickly so make sure you secure your tickets soon!

TICKET INFORMATION:
WHEN THEY GO ON SALE:
The MyNRL member buying window will run from 12pm AEDT (11am Qld, 2pm NZ) Wednesday, February 17 until 9pm (8pm Qld, 11pm NZ), Tuesday, February 16 AEDT.

TICKET LIMITS:
There is a limit of 8 tickets per person to the 2010 VB Test match between Australia and New Zealand for MyNRL members.

HOW TO PURCHASE:
MyNRL members can only purchase tickets to the VB Test via the internet

TICKET PRICES
MELBOURNE RECTANGULAR STADIUM:
Category 1:
Adult: $85.00
Concession: $65.00
Family: $235.00

Category 2:
Adult: $60.00
Concession: $45.00
Family: $165.00

Category 3:
Adult: $30.00
Concession: $20.00
Family: $80.00

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

keithroosters wrote:
Be part of history. Get your ticket to the official opening of Melbourne’s new state-of-the-art rectangular sporting stadium...
Not allowed to say that as you run the risk of upsetting some on this forum. :nono:

Rugby League will have to be content with opening "a medium sized stadium with an interesting roof."

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

keithroosters wrote:
Be part of history. Get your ticket to the official opening of Melbourne’s new state-of-the-art rectangular sporting stadium. Four Nations champions Australia will clash with World Champions New Zealand in the annual VB Test Match.

You won’t want to miss this match. For years to come you’ll be able to tell your friends and family you were at the first ever match at the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium. Tickets will sell quickly so make sure you secure your tickets soon!

TICKET INFORMATION:
WHEN THEY GO ON SALE:
The MyNRL member buying window will run from 12pm AEDT (11am Qld, 2pm NZ) Wednesday, February 17 until 9pm (8pm Qld, 11pm NZ), Tuesday, February 16 AEDT.

TICKET LIMITS:
There is a limit of 8 tickets per person to the 2010 VB Test match between Australia and New Zealand for MyNRL members.

HOW TO PURCHASE:
MyNRL members can only purchase tickets to the VB Test via the internet

TICKET PRICES
MELBOURNE RECTANGULAR STADIUM:
Category 1:
Adult: $85.00
Concession: $65.00
Family: $235.00

Category 2:
Adult: $60.00
Concession: $45.00
Family: $165.00

Category 3:
Adult: $30.00
Concession: $20.00
Family: $80.00
My goodness. Those prices are just about the same as the Socceroos v Oman game. :wink:

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

RL World Cup To Expand

The Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) has announced that the 2013 Rugby League World Cup will see an expansion in the number of teams taking part from 10 to 14.

The last World Cup in Australia in 2008 saw the number of teams cut back from the 16 which took part eight years earlier in Great Britain when a number of embarrassing mis-matches culminated in a big financial loss.

But the cutback Australian edition was seen as a unqualified success and it was agreed to add four more teams for 2013.

Twelve teams will enter automatically for the next World Cup, which will again be held in Great Britain, and two more will come from qualifying tournaments in the northern and southern hemispheres.

Initial expansion proposals were met with opposition, but an RLIF meeting in Singapore was impressed by the business plan.

"We are delighted to have ratified this proposal for a 14-nation Rugby League World Cup which was unanimously supported by RLIF delegate," said RLIF chairman Colin Love.

"This year will see the Four Nations in Australia and New Zealand build on the success of the 2008 Rugby World Cup and 2009 Four Nations and going forward I am confident that in 2013 we will see a tournament that will successfully showcase international rugby league to a worldwide audience.

"The format reflects rugby league's increased participation around the world and provides a wonderful opportunity for the finest athletes in any sport to prove themselves on the greatest stage of all."

Details of the qualifying system will be revealed later this year but Wales, twice semi-finalists in the past, looks certain to join the 10 teams who took part in 2008 and Lebanon will be hoping to secure the other automatic spot.

Organisers are likely to once more seed the major nations in order to avoid the lop-sided scorelines that featured in 2000.

In 2008, England, Australia and New Zealand were all placed in one 'super' pool, alongside Papua New Guinea, with the rest of the nations left to fight it out for one semi-final place.

-AFP

The Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) has announced that the 2013 Rugby League World Cup will see an expansion in the number of teams taking part from 10 to 14.

The last World Cup in Australia in 2008 saw the number of teams cut back from the 16 which took part eight years earlier in Great Britain when a number of embarrassing mis-matches culminated in a big financial loss.

But the cutback Australian edition was seen as a unqualified success and it was agreed to add four more teams for 2013.

Twelve teams will enter automatically for the next World Cup, which will again be held in Great Britain, and two more will come from qualifying tournaments in the northern and southern hemispheres.

Initial expansion proposals were met with opposition, but an RLIF meeting in Singapore was impressed by the business plan.

"We are delighted to have ratified this proposal for a 14-nation Rugby League World Cup which was unanimously supported by RLIF delegate," said RLIF chairman Colin Love.

"This year will see the Four Nations in Australia and New Zealand build on the success of the 2008 Rugby World Cup and 2009 Four Nations and going forward I am confident that in 2013 we will see a tournament that will successfully showcase international rugby league to a worldwide audience.

"The format reflects rugby league's increased participation around the world and provides a wonderful opportunity for the finest athletes in any sport to prove themselves on the greatest stage of all."

Details of the qualifying system will be revealed later this year but Wales, twice semi-finalists in the past, looks certain to join the 10 teams who took part in 2008 and Lebanon will be hoping to secure the other automatic spot.

Organisers are likely to once more seed the major nations in order to avoid the lop-sided scorelines that featured in 2000.

In 2008, England, Australia and New Zealand were all placed in one 'super' pool, alongside Papua New Guinea, with the rest of the nations left to fight it out for one semi-final place.

-AFP

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Garbage!

It will only encourage more bastardised teams out of western Sydney.

timmers
Bronze
Location: Sydney's Hills, where public transport doesn't exist

Post by timmers »

keithroosters wrote:
RL World Cup To Expand

So in 2000, we learnt that it doesn't work 16 teams.

In 2008, we learnt that it works well with less teams.

Therefore the obvious thing to do is expand it back.

Clearly there are intelligent people running this show.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Colin Love, hereafter referred to as CoLo, has no idea.

The reason 2008 was an unqualified success was because ot every Tom, Dick and Harry was allowed in.

There is a lot of merit in keeping the tournament at 10.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Jeffles wrote:Garbage!

It will only encourage more bastardised teams out of western Sydney.
Agreed.
I would rather see less teams and more qualfiers - I would have a max 12 teams.
Keep the RLWC finals as some quality games - not a sideshow for developing nations