Politics 08

Discuss anything and everything, right here!
broncos
Silver

Post by broncos »

Egan wrote:Working in the retail industry, I just have to say, I have seen no evidence that the interest rate rises have delivered any slowdown in the West Australian economy.

In fact my income has actually increased since the last interest rate rise.

Will be interesting to see what Rudd does into the future...
A few weeks later, Western Australia has the biggest retail slowdown out of anywhere in the country. Go figure. :lol: :lol:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

broncos wrote: A few weeks later, Western Australia has the biggest retail slowdown out of anywhere in the country. Go figure. :lol: :lol:
Thank god! Due to inflation running well above the national level, poverty and homelessness is at its highest since the Great Depression in Western Australia (According to my Politics Lecturer)

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Egan wrote:
broncos wrote: A few weeks later, Western Australia has the biggest retail slowdown out of anywhere in the country. Go figure. :lol: :lol:
Thank god! Due to inflation running well above the national level, poverty and homelessness is at its highest since the Great Depression in Western Australia (According to my Politics Lecturer)
"and then my mum said..."

want to put out some actual numbers there?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

:lol:

I don't actually interogate people for statistics when they make a statement (which was done to contradict a claim I had made in a tutorial)

But coming from somebody who is an intellectual and is inherently nuetral in all of his lectures, I have no reason to doubt it. You also can look at a few articles over the past year Dibo, where you have overwhelming demand for homeless shelters, people living in cars, sleeping on tents in the front yard of MacTiernan's house. Also an article last week in the Sunday Times of the increasing amount of homeless people residing, urinating, living in the sand dunes near Fremantle and living out of Coles Shopping Trolleys.

The drastic rise in rents and living costs are causing huge issue for the multitude of those who have a fixed income or are the working poor.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

i don't doubt that all that is true, but the claim that it's the worst since the depression is a claim i find somewhat harder to believe. that's why i'd be asking for a number or two to hang the claim from.

your call to the authority of 'somebody who is an intellectual and is inherently nuetral (sic) in all of his lectures' is just funny.

isn't there a little bit of curiosity in you that makes you wonder what the numbers are?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Dibo when I next talk to him I will ask for a database that is comprehensive enough.

But presently I have Basque Seperatism, Comparing the Australian and New Zealand Welfare systems, Looking at the Australian Conscription debate from 1916-17 and also the archaeology of war sites, occupying my mind as well as paying for this trip to Malaysia/Spain/Nepal in June/July.
'somebody who is an intellectual and is inherently nuetral (sic) in all of his lectures' is just funny.
While he does have bias as everyone, I would challenge you to find a more nuetral Politics lecturer on the planet.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I have to commend Rudd's speech in Beijing.

Speaking his mind, is excellent...just do it for all countries, not just China.

As someone who speaks Mandarin and is loved by China, I think Australian's do not know the significance of Rudd criticising its role in Tibet, in Beijing at a University.

Awesome stuff, probably the most political pressure any government could have brought onto China.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Egan wrote:While he does have bias as everyone, I would challenge you to find a more nuetral Politics lecturer on the planet.
First point - 'While he does have bias as everyone...' ???

*poof* - a hype noob was just created.

Second, shall I just ask people: 'Excuse me, are you more nuetral than Egan's lecturer?'

...To which the reply will surely follow: 'Learn to spell 'neutral' you dopey bastard.'

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Anyhow Yahoo 7 has a 78% approval rating of Rudd's comments in China.

Shows to the K.Rudd the country doesn't want us to suck up to every super power there is, including the United States.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I don't trust The West Australian, does anyone think NSW will slide into a major recession?

That was what I read today, while WA's economy will apparently continue its strong economic performance.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Egan wrote:I don't trust The West Australian, does anyone think NSW will slide into a major recession?

That was what I read today, while WA's economy will apparently continue its strong economic performance.
nope. growth will moderate, but we're hardly going to have 1992 over again.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

dibo wrote:
nope. growth will moderate, but we're hardly going to have 1992 over again.
Yeah, thats what that sh*t paper implied, that it would be 1992 all over again in NSW (you can understand why McGinty refuses to answer any questions from Journalists from The West Australian :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

I am interested in what area's NSW economy is growing, being a manufacturing state, I thought it would continue to suffer from the US Dollar?

Is it the growth in QLD/WA/NT that is increasing demand for products manufactured in NSW and Victoria?

Or is it still strong consumer spending a relatively tight labor market?

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

I love American politics at the moment.

Particularly the ferocious debate on lefty blogs and forums.

Democratic Underground is simply hilarious.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Cheesie-the-Pirate wrote:I love American politics at the moment.

Particularly the ferocious debate on lefty blogs and forums.

Democratic Underground is simply hilarious.
God help America if Obama wins...

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

People on DU saying stuff like this makes me smile:
Red Zelda (1000+ posts)

17. I decided last night if Obama does not get the nomination, I will vote for ANYONE over that woman. McCain included.
I can't find one at the moment but there are plenty more where Clinton people say they won't vote for Obama.

One would expect that by November most of these people will vote for whoever has the D next to their name, but it's still fun.