Politics 08

Discuss anything and everything, right here!
Egan
Platinum

Politics 08

Post by Egan »

Any ramblings that are annoying you, democratically speak out. My issue is Rudd, Rudd, Rudd and more Obama, Obama, Obama.

Rudd - Blaming Howard on not predicting that Western Australia would go through an economic period, that was stronger then the actual percentage growth of China. And not forseeing that they need an extra 50,000 workers in the state already. Let me say, I doubt any nation in the world other then Iran, would have 'wanted' to get an economy the strength of WA's so quickly.

I know he has not said this but all this rhetoric about "Howard failing to act on 10 reserve bank warnings on loss of productivity and skills training" annoys the sh*t out of me.

"Loss of productivity" Mainly cause by the mining boom where we send imbiciles who have no idea up, because the demand for workers is so high. Forcing a lack of productivity because of on job training.

"Skills Training" Argument can be made there, but seriously it is a two speed economy, caused by China that will cripple many parts of the East Coast, but to say Howard is to blame for the inflation (largely caused) by Western Australia...is not all what Mr Rudd says it is.

And Obama is a clown of epic proportions, tieing minimum wage to rises in inflation, with the capping of Interest Rates. Unemployment of 30% and rampant inflationary pressures, yet bringing more protectionism into the American economy. America don't vote another stupid president in, just because he has charisma, the policies don't stack up and is even worse then Rudd, which is saying something.

Send him to the moon, before letting him become the most powerful man in the world.

Rudd actually implement some actual decision making as Prime Minister, not just a blame, lets shift it here, lets look at long term goals. Lets look at the present and look at real policies that will enable long term fixing of the inflation problem, but may result in a loss of political points.

How much do you give a stuff about the agricultural based society of Tasmania, basically living on handouts, with higher unemployment because federal policy and tax rates favour the mining boom states of Queensland and Western Australia.

I look forward to seeing how you cope with the economic environment to come...

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Oh dear.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Is someone taking an economics course at uni?

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

I find it hard to believe we all live in the same reality some times

Football/GAA Bhoy
Bronze

Post by Football/GAA Bhoy »

jesus wept.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Simmo79 wrote:Is someone taking an economics course at uni?
Yeah, but my lecturers make a lot more sense than Egan. And my microeconomics lecturer fresh off the plane from China with barely a jot of English knows the difference between 'then' and 'than', FWIW.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Simmo79 wrote:Is someone taking an economics course at uni?
No, but I find the links between Rudd blaming Howard on causing inflation to the extent he is, as ridiculous. It is a natural phenomenon when you have an economy that is growing way to fast, compared to what its population can cope with.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Speaking of politics... watch the "Undecideds" worm just before the end.

Hilarious stuff.

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/03/04/c ... -daisy-ad/

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Where's Cheesie's fish?

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Return of an Austadiums favourite.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Thanks.

I have nothing else to say.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Unless I've missed something these are Howard's first post election-night public comments.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 182228.htm

Liberal opposition, hang your heads in shame.

Full steam back flips* on Iraq, IR reforms, Sorry, Kyoto. What a bunch of unprincipled losers.

I supported Nelson for leader because I thought that he, unlike Turnbull, would stand firm and rigorously defend at least some of the Howard legacy. I was embarrassingly wrong.

*Quality mixed metaphor.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Thanks Cheesie and you're right - quality mixed-metaphor. The real discussion starts here.

Regardless of what I think of each policy, I am also disappointed with how the Libs have acted. Just because one party forms government doesn't mean that other parties should change on account of the "mandate". In this sense, the Workchoices backdown, Kyoto and Iraq was a bit soft and unprincipled. I mean, people voted for a party that would stick to its guns on these policies and they've been thrown out the window.

Re; the apology, the Libs have done a lot of soul searching since the election and a lot of people said that they need to "regain compassion". Of course, the farce that was Nelson's media work in the week before the apology did him more harm than good.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Did any one catch the "Howard’s End" back peddle/ back stab / denyathon on ABC during the outage? interesting viewing

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I only saw bits of it - pretty sorry viewing but then again it's tough when your greatest strength (Howard) is also your greatest weakness - which he was in 2007.

Nothing may have saved the Libs from Opposition in 2007 but at least if they did something, they'd be seen to be a party that can responds to changing public attitdues. Maybe their reluctance to move with the times and ditch Howard last year has spurred them to go the other way and undermine everything they had stood for post-election.

Until they figure out a plan and stick to it, they'll get nowhere Federally.

Meanwhile, O'Farrell '11 - when do the T-shirts come out?