Politics 08

Discuss anything and everything, right here!
Boba Fett
Silver

Re: Politics 08

Post by Boba Fett »

Love the blatant contradictory nature of the last two paragraphs. Ah, politicians... :roll:

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Has anyone noticed Julia balks her head like an emu when she talks?

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

I think Anna Bligh has done a good job over the floods in QLD.....I wonder how KKK or any other premier would of coped in the same situation.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

There didn't appear to be the same sort of praise running around for the then Victorian Premier during the fires?

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

beastjim wrote:There didn't appear to be the same sort of praise running around for the then Victorian Premier during the fires?
Because the emergency response was coordinated by people turning their phone off during dinner.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

yob wrote:
beastjim wrote:There didn't appear to be the same sort of praise running around for the then Victorian Premier during the fires?
Because the emergency response was coordinated by people turning their phone off during dinner.
Nope, that never happened. There had been a very nasty little campaign against Chrstine Nixon going on for quite some time which culminated in that lie being perpertrated. While she did go to dinner (which in hindsight looks bad, but at the time was an understandable decision), her phone was never off. She's generally regarded very highly, apart from her enemies in the police.

I think Bligh is getting the praise at the moment because she is so visible. Right at the start she made a decision to commit to having media conferences every two hours that would be attended by either herself, a relevant minister or the police chief. A great deal of the time she turned up herself and performed well.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I don't know where to put this.

http://www.heapsgoodsa.com.au/

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

I might have to get one of those T-shirts.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

NSW Labor's primary vote down to 22%. :lol:

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

All this talk about the Nationals winning more seats is rubbish, I think. My predicition is that the ALP will have 30 seats. BOF's had a bloody cruisy run this campaign. He's not saying much at all besides "I'm not Labor." It's very much like Greiner in 1988. He'll come into power, start speaking and making tough decisions and then a lot of the public will blow up, putting Labor with a winning chance in 2019.

Marrickville Candidates Forum at Marrickville Town Hall tonight. I'll be there.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Tripple K should change her advet...and that should be the law

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

A general "woah" to the events of the Arab world in the last few weeks. Hope this leads to democracy rather than one autocrat replacing another.

From twitter: @RickyNixon What's with #libya trending? Isn't he the little wog that used to play for Footscray? Did he f**k @its_k_isabellas too?

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Jeffles wrote:A general "woah" to the events of the Arab world in the last few weeks. Hope this leads to democracy rather than one autocrat replacing another.
Not too likely. First thing to say is that the circumstances in each country are different and each country's unrest should analysed against local conditions. The one thing that does cut across all the unrest is that it's small but vocal groups that are getting the western attention.

In Egypt, Libya, Bahrain there doesn't yet appear to be the critical mass of people to make an actual revolution happen. The protests are big enough and persistent enough to squeeze concessions out of the governing regimes but they're not actually forcing changes in government per se. I reckon each individual regime will do enough to stay in overall command -force the issue to the point where the protestors realise they won't win a fight but also take the heat out of the situation by giving in a little, but not too much to appear weak and embolden the opposition.

I think what we're really seeing is a longer term, evolution-style stimulus-response thing happening. This round of adaptations by the ruling regimes will do for now but in a few years time we'll do it all again.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I hold more hope for Egypt than Libya but there's a long time to go between now and the election. Bahrain, like in life has been ignored by me.

BOF was on Kyle and Jackie O last week. KKK was on today. I don't listen to those arseholes so I don't know what was said. It's just and amusing aspect of campaigning - MPs on yoof-oriented FM radio.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Jeffles wrote:I hold more hope for Egypt than Libya but there's a long time to go between now and the election. Bahrain, like in life has been ignored by me.
All I'm seeing here is a domino effect that proves how right going to Vietnam was.

:popcorn: