Politics 08

Discuss anything and everything, right here!
dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Egan wrote:
dibo wrote:
nope. growth will moderate, but we're hardly going to have 1992 over again.
Yeah, thats what that sh*t paper implied, that it would be 1992 all over again in NSW (you can understand why McGinty refuses to answer any questions from Journalists from The West Australian :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

I am interested in what area's NSW economy is growing, being a manufacturing state, I thought it would continue to suffer from the US Dollar?

Is it the growth in QLD/WA/NT that is increasing demand for products manufactured in NSW and Victoria?

Or is it still strong consumer spending a relatively tight labor market?
core presumption - nsw is a manufacturing state. it's bollocks, manufacturing is important, and more so than in WA but the services economy is a massive deal now.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Cheesie-the-Pirate wrote: I can't find one at the moment but there are plenty more where Clinton people say they won't vote for Obama.

One would expect that by November most of these people will vote for whoever has the D next to their name, but it's still fun.
I'm one of them (not an American citizen). Will support McCain over Obama.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

dibo wrote:
core presumption - nsw is a manufacturing state. it's bollocks, manufacturing is important, and more so than in WA but the services economy is a massive deal now.
What plans are in place to share this moderate economic gain?

So that it is felt by all, Western Sydney still has unemployment around 9%, the area of the highest mortgage stress in the country, yet has a huge population...surely its something that has to be tackled? New airport in Bankstown would make a difference?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Even though my party popularly elects leaders and candidates the ferocitiy of the whole primary system strikes me as concerning.

Just pick a bloody candidate already.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Jeffles wrote:Even though my party popularly elects leaders and candidates the ferocitiy of the whole primary system strikes me as concerning.

Just pick a bloody candidate already.
There's nothing inherently wrong with the primary process - the Republican one went just fine. It's just that the Democrats have designed their system in such a way that in the case of two relatively strong candidates that it's impossible for either candidate to get a majority of delegates before the convention. Add a Clinton to the mix and it just spells trouble.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I agree with you there. Surey the viciousness of the Democratic race will turn voters away from the party. The Republican race, though not perfect, was much more civilised and constantly pressed as the leasd up to November.

The way the Democratic Party is going, you get a sense that they assume the Presidency is theirs for the takings and that THIS is the ultimate battle. It's very arrogant of them.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

I'm pretty confident the Dems will win. The voter turn out in the primaries has been enormous. Especially when compared to the Republican primaries before McCain jumped to the fore and killed the competition. IMO, as interesting a candidate as McCain is he won't motivate the different Republican blocks (religious conservative, economic conservative) the way GWB did. His appeal is more middle ground and it's partisanship that tends to work better in the American system. Appealing to the middle ground is responsible politics but it's not effective in getting people off their arses and off to the voting booths on a work day.

And the Dem base is rabid about taking back the WH. I think after the nomination is settled they'll all get behind the nominee in time for November.

The X factor is about how many Dem-leaning indies would vote for McCain instead of Clinton or Obama. Probably not enough for either but it would be much closer if Clinton was the Dem candidate.

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Egan wrote:
dibo wrote:
What plans are in place to share this moderate economic gain?

So that it is felt by all, Western Sydney still has unemployment around 9%, the area of the highest mortgage stress in the country, yet has a huge population...surely its something that has to be tackled? New airport in Bankstown would make a difference?
didn't have you picked as a fan of keynesian interventions?

a new airport in bankstown would have the government responsible executed with extreme prejudice (i.e: they would each be hunted down by mobs and chained to four matching Nissan 200SXs...)

when there's unemployment, you don't go out running make-work programs.

you make sure that there it's an attractive place to do business through having good sites, good infrastructure and that those in the labour force are skilled and educated so as to make productive potential employees.

beyond that there's not a helluva lot you can do - it's a market remember?

in a broader sense the RBA and banks are already on the case. official interest rate rises are being held up while the banks make their own adjustments to credit and mortgage rates.

this means you squeeze consumption back a little (which will inevitably hurt employment, but there's not much you can do about that) but in holding official cash rates steady you don't price business out of the market for cash to invest in new plant, equipment and infrastructure.

in other words you slow down the accumulation of household debt without taking to business investment with a meat axe.

oh - and yay democrats. i'd vote for either hilary or barack.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Simmo79 wrote:I'm pretty confident the Dems will win. The voter turn out in the primaries has been enormous. Especially when compared to the Republican primaries before McCain jumped to the fore and killed the competition. IMO, as interesting a candidate as McCain is he won't motivate the different Republican blocks (religious conservative, economic conservative) the way GWB did. His appeal is more middle ground and it's partisanship that tends to work better in the American system. Appealing to the middle ground is responsible politics but it's not effective in getting people off their arses and off to the voting booths on a work day.
It's hard to predict, and maybe you're right. Still, it's hard to imagine Republicans sitting at home and letting Obama or Clinton pick the next Supreme Court justice. Also, the war is still the issue for the right of the GOP and McCain is the political hero for the GOP and Iraq.
Simmo79 wrote:And the Dem base is rabid about taking back the WH. I think after the nomination is settled they'll all get behind the nominee in time for November.
The money that the Democrats have raised is incredible. The question is can they spend it effectively?
Simmo79 wrote:The X factor is about how many Dem-leaning indies would vote for McCain instead of Clinton or Obama. Probably not enough for either but it would be much closer if Clinton was the Dem candidate.
See, the funny thing is that this is probably true despite the fact that (a) Obama is the most liberal member of the US Senate (according to certain ratings based upon how members of Congress vote) and (b) Obama and Clinton have virtually identical policies.

Obama makes a lot about bipartisanship and new politics but out of the three candidates he is clearly the least centrist and the one who has done the least crossing of the aisles.

I think the Democrats have about a 66% chance of winning the White House.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

I agree with the 66% figure. And if McCain wins it's hardly the end of the world. He's seems to be a pretty decent human being.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Obama is the most liberal member of the US Senate (according to certain ratings based upon how members of Congress vote) and (b) Obama and Clinton have virtually identical policies.
The polocies they do disagree on, is a big difference to my support for either.

Obama has not a clue about foreign policy, his health caimpaign, putting an arbitary cap on the Interest Rates, yet tieing minimum wage increases with the level of inflation in an economy still laying off thousands of jobs.

McCain has arguably the most liberal minded immigration platform of any Liberal/Conservative Party in the world.

This could cause some friction and is the key reason why I don't think McCain will get the president's job.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

dibo wrote:
you make sure that there it's an attractive place to do business through having good sites, good infrastructure and that those in the labour force are skilled and educated so as to make productive potential employees.
beyond that there's not a helluva lot you can do - it's a market remember?
Sorry to reference in Western Australia, but you would find one of their key platform is rejuvenating the downtrodden area's, which increases house prices and makes it more desirable to live there, thus making a significant difference to the local communities economy.

Armadale, East Perth, Subiaco and now the Midland Workshops are done to entice those who would not normally have lived in these regions if these developments had not taken place, thus increasing the local economy.

Its also by trying to provide better social services, limiting the price increases in every day services, providing rebates above the National level and making Public Transport more accessible.

There are definitely ways in which a state government can invest in the communities that have high unemployment that will make remarkable difference. I think Les made a good point when he was here, that even the dodgy area's in Perth don't look as dodgy as the dodgy area's in other cities.

Its why I am still a huge supporter of Carpenter, because he is by far one of the most Left-orientated Premiers in the country, helped by having its powerbroker as one Jim McGinty from Fremantle and an upper house controlled by the Greens.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Im going for Oprah...black woman (i think) you cant go wrong...she would sh*t it in...

Oh...that will be the next election Arnie V Oprah

If the Americans vote McCain................they should be annexed from the world..... honestly :roll: :evil: :roll:

and Bankstown Airport...that would be fully sick ......but if they couldnt get badgerys creek through ...... there is little hope...looks like there is plenty of space too me

living in inner Sydney..love those planes at 6 am........

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

the crow wrote:living in inner Sydney..love those planes at 6 am........
I can't believe the residents that complain so much. Last i checked there is a very high likelihood the airport was there before them....

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

the crow wrote:If the Americans vote McCain................they should be annexed from the world..... honestly :roll: :evil: :roll:
Settle petal.