Austadiums Travel Thread

Discuss anything and everything, right here!
Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Austadiums Travel Thread

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

As it turns out I am going to go down to Melbourne. But it will be the weekend of 18, 19, 20 November instead of what I originally had in mind.

Anything you guys can recommend?

Already on my itinerary:
MCG, TD tours
World Gymnastic Championship Podium Training

Considering:
A-League
Jimeoin

Cheers,
Cheesie
Last edited by Cheesie-the-Pirate on Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Neighbours Tour.
http://www.neighbourstour.com.au/

Tolarno Bar and Bistro - home of the great Huey!
42 Fitzroy St St Kilda

Don Vincenzo (another good restaurant)
301 Brunswick St, Fitzroy

Provincial Hotel (the only pub I visited - I didn't mind it at all)
299 Brunswick St, Fitzroy

And for the metrosexual in us all
CM's
499 Chapel St, South Yarra (and other locations)
http://www.cmsfashion.com.au/

----

Keep in mind I haven't been there for four years so my advice may be a bit dated. I'd like to hear the views of the locals.

Interesting to note that Melbourne has a squillion pubs that have survived WITHOUT subsidies from pokies. Who would've thought that live bands, good bistros, DJs and pool tables would make money via their ability to draw a crowd!

NSW pollies and publicans take note!

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

Jeffles wrote:And for the metrosexual in us all
CM's
......and Bridge Road................ :wink:

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles wrote: And for the metrosexual in us all
CM's
Sorry the metro-sexuals in Perth are in a very select region...No Metro in me...Pink shirts...blah :wink:

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

What would yob recommend in Melbourne besides "the road out of there"?

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Jeffles wrote:What would yob recommend in Melbourne besides "the road out of there"?
:lol: He would be more specific - Highway 8, not Highway 31.

Just for Cheesie, my first recommendation is a tour of Trades Hall, the magnificent 19th century HQ of the ACTU. Followed, of course, by a tram ride to the Arts Precinct in St Kilda Rd, where he's sure to see hordes of elites - sorry, but no G&S on offer that weekend!!
Free tour of Parliament House as an alternative.

OK, if the above doesn't really appeal, a tram trip down to St Kilda Rd to ... St Kilda (naturally) and check out Akland St (Sunday if possible). Also try to fit in Brunswick St, Fitzroy and/or Lygon St, Carlton if time allows. If you bring a girl friend (which I assume you won't be), she will demand Chapel St, Sth Yarra.

Check out some of the off-street laneways in the city precinct bound by Bourke, Swanston, Flinders and Elizabeth Sts. Recently renovated War Memorial in St Kilda Rd may be of interest.

Good inner city sports pubs (though better during the footy (AFL) season for pre or post match atmosphere) -
Rose Hotel, Napier St, Fitzroy
Napier Hotel, 210 Napier St, Fitzroy
Union Club Hotel, 146 Gore St, Fitzroy
Percy's Bar (Astor Hotel), 481 Lygon St, Carlton,
Curry Family Hotel, 289 Wellington St, Collingwood
The Tote, Johnston St, 71 Collingwood
Cricketers Arms Hotel, 327 Punt Rd, Richmond
Great Britain Hotel, 447 Church St, Richmond
Holliave, 36 Swan St, Richmond
Richmond Club Hotel, 100 Swan St, Richmond
Royal Hotel, 287 Punt Rd,Richmond
Swan Hotel, Richmond, 425 Church St, Richmond
Maori Chief Hotel, 117 Moray St, Sth Melbourne,
Duke of Wellington, 146 Flinders St, City
Charles Dickens Tavern, 290 Collins St, City
Cricketers Bar, Windsor Hotel, 111 Spring St, City
Station Hotel, 96 Greville St, Prahran.
Last edited by sandyhill on Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Great stuff. Thanks sandy.

It's just me actually. But, having said that, I'm staying at South Yarra so Chapel St et al will get some patronage from me. Stayed in the South Yarra/Toorak area a few times before.

But shopping really isn't my thing so other than those things I've already mentioned it'll be things like Victorian Parliament house, war memorials and museums that'll take up most of my time.

Has the Melbourne Museum been completely opened yet? Last time I was in Melbourne it was only the first stage completed.

sandyhill
Gold

Post by sandyhill »

The Museum has been opened for a while now - but I've not been to it yet. I did like the old Russell St museum, with its Victorian (era that is) atmosphere. However from what I've read (and yes, that includes Andrew Bolt on more than one occasion) it may not be too your taste, particularly with its apparently leftist interpretation of Australian history amongst other things, and 'modernist' displays etc. Perhaps if you do visit it, you can report your own impressions.

The National Art Gallery in St Kilda Rd has Australia's most valuable art collection, including its priceless collection of European masters and also Australian Heidelberg School paintings, and is for me a better option than the museum (its also free), but it depends on what you like of course.

Oh - with World Gymnastics Championships at Melbourne Park, you only have to cross the street to get to the Lexus Centre and have a look over that. The exterior has been restored to its 1956 apperance when it was the first indoor pool used for the Olympics (a revolutionary design in its day) and of course is now home of the Collingwood FC.

At your MCG visit, I suggest you also check out Punt Rd Oval only a few hundred metres east. A good example of the old suburban VFL grounds (last hosted a VFL game in 1964 but is still used by Richmond for training). Try to imagine how they ever got 46,000 into this!

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Jeffles wrote:Neighbours Tour.
This has got to be a troll surely! :lol:

I wouldn't go on that tour if I was paid top dollar. What a waste of money!

Cheesie if you go Chaps be on the look out for the muzz in large numbers doing laps on a Friday and Saturday night. Sik re!

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

hot_dogma wrote:

I'm biting here.

RUBBISH! You WERE paid top dollar to see the sites and do nothing (aka be an extra). Those of us that haven't had the privilege would love the chance to see Ramsay St, Lassiters, etc. :P

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

sandyhill wrote:The Museum has been opened for a while now - but I've not been to it yet. I did like the old Russell St museum, with its Victorian (era that is) atmosphere. However from what I've read (and yes, that includes Andrew Bolt on more than one occasion) it may not be too your taste, particularly with its apparently leftist interpretation of Australian history amongst other things, and 'modernist' displays etc. Perhaps if you do visit it, you can report your own impressions.
Well, that sums up pretty much all Australian public museums. But in any case, there's nothing wrong with confronting alternative perspectives.
sandyhill wrote:The National Art Gallery in St Kilda Rd has Australia's most valuable art collection, including its priceless collection of European masters and also Australian Heidelberg School paintings, and is for me a better option than the museum (its also free), but it depends on what you like of course.
Sounds like it's worth a look at least.
sandyhill wrote:Oh - with World Gymnastics Championships at Melbourne Park, you only have to cross the street to get to the Lexus Centre and have a look over that. The exterior has been restored to its 1956 apperance when it was the first indoor pool used for the Olympics (a revolutionary design in its day) and of course is now home of the Collingwood FC.
Ditto
sandyhill wrote:At your MCG visit, I suggest you also check out Punt Rd Oval only a few hundred metres east. A good example of the old suburban VFL grounds (last hosted a VFL game in 1964 but is still used by Richmond for training). Try to imagine how they ever got 46,000 into this!
Ditto

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

Jeffles wrote:
hot_dogma wrote:

I'm biting here.

RUBBISH! You WERE paid top dollar to see the sites and do nothing (aka be an extra). Those of us that haven't had the privilege would love the chance to see Ramsay St, Lassiters, etc. :P
Please don't say extra. I hate that word.

p.s. I did more than nothing. I was a very worthy contributer for more than 3 years. :P

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Well, after a day in Melbourne I'm in a wee spot of difficulty.

I really can't decide.

Who are crazier:

Melbourne Drivers or Melbourne Pedestrians?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

HMS Cheesemaker wrote:Well, after a day in Melbourne I'm in a wee spot of difficulty.

I really can't decide.

Who are crazier:

Melbourne Drivers or Melbourne Pedestrians?
The drivers...the pedestrians have no bloody idea when to walk or when not to walk...my dad was bitching about this for three days straight :lol:

sandyhill
Gold

Post by sandyhill »

:lol: Pedestrians are crazier - they don't have anything going for them in any hard physical altercation with a car.

I also had trouble coping with Melbourne trafiic when i first arrived from the bush It was then all explained to me by a local - given Melbourne's European culture, we don't have road rules as such - they're merely guidelines so just do what you see fit, but use your best judgement to avoid death or injury. So far I've suceeded.
Last edited by sandyhill on Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.