International cricket 2010

Talk about what's going on in the world of sport.
the crow
Gold

International cricket 2010

Post by the crow »

what have the Aussies been drinking for New years, thats an appalling starrt to a Sydney test

beastjim
Gold

Re: International cricket 2010

Post by beastjim »

Why oh why did Ponting choose to bat? If ever there is time to bat first it is on a pitch like that in overcast conditions. Any Queenslander who takes much notice of Shield cricket, could have told him that.

Boba Fett
Silver

Post by Boba Fett »

Appalling decision to bat first on that wicket (greenest SCG wicket I've ever seen) and under cloudy skies. Interestingly, most of the Ch 9 commentary team agreed with Ponting's decision.

My view is that batsmen these days go to pieces when conditions are not absolutely in their favour. Pitches are more or less the same right around the world these days and are designed to assist the batsmen, not the bowlers. So whenever batsmen encounter a pitch that is different they have no experience dealing with the variation.

Most of the current team's batsmen have very high averages, but wouldn't have coped with the pitch variations a generation ago...

Ponting is also clearly hampered by his elbow injury judging by the shot he played. I suspect that when he releases his autobiography in a few years he will admit that he should not have played either the Boxing Day Test or the New Year's Test.

Full credit to the Pakistan bowlers though - they bowled very well. The balls that got Watson and Clarke were absolute rippers!

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Just to put it in perspective, New Zealand has been able to draw against Pakistan.

Will New Zealand win the series over in the Shaky Isles?

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

we nearly f***ing beat pakistan, except it f***ing rained on the last day when we needed about 4 runs an over off 20 overs with all 10 wickets in hand.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

IanRitchie wrote:we nearly f***ing beat pakistan, except it f***ing rained on the last day when we needed about 4 runs an over off 20 overs with all 10 wickets in hand.
Blame it on the blocking culture in New Zealand Domestic Cricket.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Even though it was the wrong decision to bat first, it was good bowling that got the Aussies out. I think the media are being a bit hard on Punter.

Pakistan bowled a great line, starving the Aussies of runs. Only Clarke and Watson had good balls bowled to get them out. The others played bad shots that would have cost them on all wickets.

I'm having a great time. Spent Day 1 in a Suite at the top of the Churchill Stand right behind the sightscreen. Scored a pass to the pool, spa and sauna at the SFS before watching Day 2 in the MA Noble Stand. Back at work today - f**k this sh*t.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

My dad and I were planning on rocking up to tomorrow afternoons session upon immediate arrival driving from Melbourne.

Looks like we will not even get the chance. :lol:

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Well I got bugger all work done today.

Cricinfo, SMH, etc kept me rather distracted.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

8)

I still remember fondly the other 'impossible' game we won in Hobart in the mid 90's when Gilchrist and Langer batted all day to win the match...

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

just goes to show that you cant discount anything at the SCG. Its turned out to be a battle between the 2 captains with pakastans poor field placements today as aposed to a more aggressive field set by ponting. Its was also a battle between the 2 keepers. Akmal was so bad Haddin was great. Ultimatly it a game based on excelent bowling from both sides....and that SCG wicket...never leave a game early from that place.

timmers
Bronze
Location: Sydney's Hills, where public transport doesn't exist

Post by timmers »

I was sitting with my mate in the members on Day 3, despite him offering me a free seat for Day 4, I opted for a day in the office instead. Possibly one of the worst decisions of my life. Nearly as bad as my Dad making us leave the SCG early during the 1998-99 Ashes. We heard Darren Gough get a hat-trick driving out of the carpark

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I left the office for the SCG when the 5th wicket fell.

Great to see the end of the match. Pakistan really let that one go with poor field placements in the morning and the afternoon's batting collapse - not to mention their keeper grassing 4 catches.

Ponting's bowling and field placements in the 4th innings were superb. Some of his best work as a captain. He'd go an over or so with an open off side to get the Pakistani middle order on a high and then one by one bring the fieldsmen in. Good work with not bowling Siddle or Watson.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Ultimatly it a game based on excelent bowling from both sides....and that SCG wicket...never leave a game early from that place.
Never leave sport early ever...

Have had a few of my friends who were watching the game suggesting that it was rigged.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Arti ... 12205.html

Interesting article. A lot of money Pakistan are losing from not hosting cricket...