International Rugby League

Talk about what's going on in the world of sport.

Who will win the 2009 Four Nations?

Australia
69%
New Zealand
No votes
England
8%
France
23%

Total votes: 13

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Bath RU play in a town of some 80,000, yet probably generates more income than any RL club in the world.
I can't imagine how any team playing out of the Rec Ground could top the Bronocs for revenue. If they do it would be purely on the strength of exchange rates rather than popularity

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Simmo79 wrote:
Bath RU play in a town of some 80,000, yet probably generates more income than any RL club in the world.
I can't imagine how any team playing out of the Rec Ground could top the Bronocs for revenue. If they do it would be purely on the strength of exchange rates rather than popularity
it's because of standing terraces. everything is better with standing terraces.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

look, we could go on for weeks more about the validity of domestic competitions expanding to neighbouring countries but in all likeliness we'd come up with differing opinions. i will say the celtic crusaders is a highly ambitious project but if it fails i wont be one of those people that grill them for 10 years over it, which you probably would swede. i think its great to see competitions expanding (in both union and league) because its a sign on foresight whereas you mostly find it a waste of resources.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

Sorry to go off topic, but in International Rugby League news, England play France on June 10

http://www.englandrl.co.uk/index.php

bazza
Silver

Re: International Rugby League

Post by bazza »

swede wrote:
bazza wrote:
swede wrote: RL in europe is seriously struggling. The club game is frankly hovering just above sustainabilty as a pro-game. Crowds are down, while they are up everywhere in RU.
The trend for crowds in super league seems to be up. Even the extra 2 teams hasn't affect the average too much

http://www.slstats.org/Attendances/
Looking at the same numbers, I would say they are clearly down. Take out the two disastrous expansion clubs and it might be just about flat.
2000: 7,412
2001: 7,140 (-272)
2002: 7,207 (+67)
2003: 7,955 (+748)
2004: 8,570 (+615)
2005: 8,884 (+314)
2006: 9,010 (+126)
2007: 9,855 (+845)
2008: 9,877 (+23)
2009: 9,468 (-409)

About 25% increase over 9 years would appear to be a trend up.
Obviously with teams changing over the years through promotion and relegation the averages are likely to be affected from year to year.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

you mean some actual international discussion bazza? its actually shaping up to be a good game. will be interesting to see how far france have come and how they go in their first game under goulding. i cant speak more highly of Thomas Bosc. i think they lack another half though. Constant Villegas would be very good at five eighth i think but then theyre left with no fullback. ive heard suggestions that clint greenshields has been asked to consider switching allegiences under the residency rule. this would be a great outcome.

i think the rugbyleague.com website will be launched at that game aswell.

bazza
Silver

Post by bazza »

keithroosters wrote:you mean some actual international discussion bazza? its actually shaping up to be a good game. will be interesting to see how far france have come and how they go in their first game under goulding. i cant speak more highly of Thomas Bosc. i think they lack another half though. Constant Villegas would be very good at five eighth i think but then theyre left with no fullback. ive heard suggestions that clint greenshields has been asked to consider switching allegiences under the residency rule. this would be a great outcome.

i think the rugbyleague.com website will be launched at that game aswell.
The England squad for the game has been announced.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 080206.stm

Looks like the England team will be a fair bit different from the World Cup side

swede
Bronze

Re: International Rugby League

Post by swede »

bazza wrote:
swede wrote:
bazza wrote: The trend for crowds in super league seems to be up. Even the extra 2 teams hasn't affect the average too much

http://www.slstats.org/Attendances/
Looking at the same numbers, I would say they are clearly down. Take out the two disastrous expansion clubs and it might be just about flat.
2000: 7,412
2001: 7,140 (-272)
2002: 7,207 (+67)
2003: 7,955 (+748)
2004: 8,570 (+615)
2005: 8,884 (+314)
2006: 9,010 (+126)
2007: 9,855 (+845)
2008: 9,877 (+23)
2009: 9,468 (-409)

About 25% increase over 9 years would appear to be a trend up.
Obviously with teams changing over the years through promotion and relegation the averages are likely to be affected from year to year.
Those recent numbers dont seem right to me. RL have certainly claimed to have reached 10,000+ recently and the 09 number seems too high. Its down now after being flat for a few years. Over a slightly longer period, yes its definately up. no surprise there, all sports are, but the worry for RL is that other sports have grown far more, especially RU, and a lot of the RL increases is likely linked to growing numbers of tickets being given away. Half the clubs barely sell real tickets, which is what makes them so voulnerably dependant on individual owners.

In a relative sense the profile of RL only seems to decrease, something i think most followers of the game in the UK agree with. Its virtually gone from any national sports broadcast, even the grand final rarely sells out, the game is dependant on benefactors to stay full-time. Its not impressive and in my opinion its simply wrong to stretch ressources thin and it only brings depression to the game to have to deal with the celtic team now going through a drawn-out fight for its existence, which it will likely lose in the end.

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

Simmo79 wrote:
you´re probably right. I looked it up. Bath do make considerably less than clubs that must be considered their equals. Its less than £10m, which probably means Brisbane just stays ahead.

Anyway my point was about potential in relation to population and Bath certainly have that. No matter how much RU grows, it should never - and will never - be allowed to develop in a way where there is not room for historic clubs based in towns of 80,000.

Hopefully they will soon finally be allowed to develop that fantastic site. It ought to be the finest club ground in England.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

France coach Bobbie Goulding has ruled out Catalans Dragons duo Dimitri Pelo and Jamal Fakir from his team to play England in Paris on Saturday week.

Winger Pelo (ankle) and second-rower Fakir (knee) were both injured in the Dragons' 32-28 home defeat by St Helens last month and will not recover in time to play at Stade Jean Bouin.

Goulding, who is taking charge of the French for the first time, is confident he can find an adequate replacement for Fakir but admits he is short of international-class backs, with Australians holding key positions in the Catalans outside back-line.

"It's a big blow," he said. "I was going to name Pelo at full-back. There are not many outside backs in France.

"The forwards are fine - I think we can compete with anyone up front.

"I really think David Ferriol is one of the best props in the world, Olivier Elima is having his best season ever, Jerome Guisset keeps coming every single year and Kane Bentley can be one of best hookers around."

Goulding's options will increase in time for the end-of-season Four Nations tournament when the Dragons' Australian quartet of Clint Greenshields, Adam Mogg, Casey McGuire and Jason Croker all become eligible to represent France under the three-year residency rule.

Goulding is adamant that he will not follow the example of his predecessor, John Monie, who included four Australia-born players - Justin Murphy, Jared Taylor, John Wilson and James Wynne - in his World Cup squad but admits that full-back Greenshields may be an exception.

"It's time now to produce French kids," he said. "It's no good picking Australians who would not get in the State of Origin team. After a disastrous World Cup, it's time to bite the bullet.

"There could be one or two exceptions but they would have to be absolute quality and would certainly have to play Super League."

Goulding will wait to name his team to face England until after the Catalans' game against Leeds on Saturday.

The majority of his line-up will come from the Dragons and Toulouse, who have a re-arranged Championship game at Gateshead on Sunday.

The French go into camp on Monday, when Goulding will announce his team.
im glad goulding's admitte he needs greenshields in the squad. the squad for the four nations should look quite impressive. i hope this match isnt a blowout. gppd to see it staged in parris

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Good to see an outsider at the helm in NZ. Richard Lewis has done wonders for the code in the UK.

Mick Aldous was the best coach France had in recent years but he couldn't move from Aust long term. Goulding went off his tree at Rochdale Hornets. I don't think he'll do well in France.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

totally agree jeffles. it annoys the hell outa me when former footballers with no business sense get into key positions. dont get me wrong , i love the ex footy players but theyre not the most educated person for a job a lot of the time. i have high hopes for NZRL.

the french team http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... rance.html

a good result IMO would be a loss of less than 20

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

a bad result this morning for france against england. 66-12. makes me wonder if fiji as the 4th team in upcoming tri nations is the best option. france are making swignificant inroads but it will take a little more time than the upcoming tournament.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

France, like NZ, do better in end of year Tests when more players are available AND when they get a few games under their belt.