Formula 1

Talk about what's going on in the world of sport.
Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Mark Webber used to be a ballboy for the Canberra Raiders.

His win yesterday will be a real boost for Rugby League in Germany.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

A great day for Australian motorsport. to do it with a drive through penalty shows how much better he was on the day, even though Massa helped him being slow and holding up traffic. maybe its a sighn that he is due for a bout of good luck for a change.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles wrote:Mark Webber used to be a ballboy for the Canberra Raiders.

His win yesterday will be a real boost for Rugby League in Germany.
:lol: :lol:

broncos
Silver

Post by broncos »

I turned over to the cricket just before his drive through penalty assuming he'd blown his opportunity again. Good on him for winning like that. His car seemed to be 10x quicker than everyone elses.

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

BMW-Sauber has pulled out of F1...

And with Felipe Massa still in hospital, Ferrari have managed to find a replacement for him. Some new kid...

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Yeah the new kid isn't too bad at all.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

good to see how he goes in a car thats not doing so well.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Well Shumi has pulled out....he hasnt recovered from his motor bike accident from earlier this year.......and he dosnt want to be seen in a sh*t car.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

its back on this weekend after the euro summer break Practice 1 is on now in Valencia......go Websie

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

the crow wrote:its back on this weekend after the euro summer break Practice 1 is on now in Valencia......go Websie
Have you started working on the Adelaide WC Venue yet? It's in the park just south of the Clipsal pits and includes a straight on each side of the football pitch and a loop at the southern end. I can just imagine Webber storming through the tunnel into the stadium rounding a 180 degree bend and punching it out through the other tunnel all in front of 40,000 screaming Aussies . Gotta get the GP back to its rightful track somehow.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

its a massive thing for any city to secure an F1 race. the influx of people for the race but more so the city is on display to the whole world for one weekend.... im not sure you can put a monetary value on that...

vettel (the smug bastard) has extended his contract with red bull racing unitll 2011 with an option for 2012. i wonder if mark will be around then.

practice for valencia:
Mark Webber, P1 - 1:43.243, 8th; P2 - 1:40.956, 14th
“We did a lot of laps today. We’ve got some good stuff to go through tonight and we did the tyre comparison, which was pretty straightforward. We’ve got some work to do this evening - this track is a little like Bahrain with walls!”
to be frank i dont think this is really red bulls race to win. i think 4th would be a good result for mark. the last race (hungaring) and this race (valencia) is windy slow tracks. needless to say the red bulls are suited to high downforce tracks such as silverstone and nurburging. once this race is over i hope we really see the wings on that red bull

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

gyfox wrote:
the crow wrote:its back on this weekend after the euro summer break Practice 1 is on now in Valencia......go Websie
Have you started working on the Adelaide WC Venue yet? It's in the park just south of the Clipsal pits and includes a straight on each side of the football pitch and a loop at the southern end. I can just imagine Webber storming through the tunnel into the stadium rounding a 180 degree bend and punching it out through the other tunnel all in front of 40,000 screaming Aussies . Gotta get the GP back to its rightful track somehow.
This idea was proposed for Durban's new WC stadium for the A1 GP....except the winning stadium has a dirty great arch from end to end ruling that out i think.

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

gyfox wrote:

Well gyfox, I would have thought that one who has prided themselves on the history of sport and regional entitlement to them, would have realised that Albert Park is far more 'rightful' to host a Grand Prix than the streets of backwater Adelaide...

gyfox
Platinum

Post by gyfox »

deejaybee wrote:
gyfox wrote:

Well gyfox, I would have thought that one who has prided themselves on the history of sport and regional entitlement to them, would have realised that Albert Park is far more 'rightful' to host a Grand Prix than the streets of backwater Adelaide...
The first Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix was held on the Adelaide street circuit and stayed there until Melbourne bought it. If you mean previous incarnations of the Australian Grand Prix then Bathurst, Warwick Farm, Philip Island all have more claim on the event than Albert Park.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

gyfox wrote:
deejaybee wrote:
gyfox wrote:Have you started working on the Adelaide WC Venue yet? It's in the park just south of the Clipsal pits and includes a straight on each side of the football pitch and a loop at the southern end. I can just imagine Webber storming through the tunnel into the stadium rounding a 180 degree bend and punching it out through the other tunnel all in front of 40,000 screaming Aussies . Gotta get the GP back to its rightful track somehow.

The first Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix was held on the Adelaide street circuit and stayed there until Melbourne bought it. If you mean previous incarnations of the Australian Grand Prix then Bathurst, Warwick Farm, Philip Island all have more claim on the event than Albert Park.
Wouldn't they have equal standing as they all hosted it in the past?