Formula 1

Talk about what's going on in the world of sport.
beastjim
Gold

Re: Formula 1

Post by beastjim »

I night time circuit around Surfers Paradise would go off..... Better then homebush.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

i wouldnt have it at homebush when you could have it arround the streets of Sydney harbour.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Where? Like CBD Sydney or a little further out? Use the harbour well and it could be a fantastic course, I am just not sure you could do it, without screwing over Sydney traffic completely for 3-4 weeks.
I only said homebush because I am pretty sure I read an article saying that is where the State Government is talking about, ie the same track they used for the season finishing race in the V8's.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

definatly arround the city through the rocks under the harbour bridge and along bangaroo it would be a track on par with Monaco for location but with wider streets. The V8 track at homebush isnt that great i would rather see it at Melbourne that there. On anothernote go Webber and redbull they have a lock on the front row. I just hope they can go on with it and take it out. vettels pole lap was just awsome.

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Fair enough, it could be a good track if you get the corners right ect. I still worry about the traffic factor though. Webber predictably (my word of the day) stuffed it up somehow and finished 9th. I didn't see any footage, but were the crowds any good?

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

had a huge day at the GP and in the great city of Melbourne...
Corporate area on turn three out of the rain and in front of a lot of passing attempts and offs. Abused the free food and alcohol for six hours :D
Webber was clearly the fastest (including Vettel from what I could see) but should've passed Hamilton right away when he had the chance to get any crack at the win. He made about four big mistakes, probably because he was desperate. I found the race to be quite exiting.
Transport to the track was fantastic (even compared to other years), and the South Melbourne/St. Kilda pubs and bars are perfect before or after the race. (don't usually go to them as I'm a local). Also read that TV viewership in Europe went up around 40-50% with the later start in qualifying, which also was good with the 5pm start. It doesn't get too dark until 7:15 here in March.

On a side note, Victoria has a Grand Prix in concrete until 2015. The NSW major events minister claimed that the contract runs out in 2014. Better luck next time ladies :lol:

I can't see anywhere else in Australia where the GP would be better for fans or drivers...By the harbour bridge would be fantastic, but I highly doubt that the NSW government has the vison. Surfers is tacky, Homebush is a rubbish idea to start off with. Both circuits are not technical or long enough for Formula One (face it, its a reality). A return to Adelaide would be the next best realistic alternative. But most people in F1 believe if Melbourne doesn't retain the AGP; it will be replaced with France, Argentina, Russia or the United States, or omitted to accommodate the China or Turkish GPs if they decide to renew their contracts.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

yep bad luck webber. Some poor decisions from him and the team on the flipside good call bunghole having the balls to come in for slicks first.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

big gamble for webber pays off in qualifying yesterday and pulls off pole position in Malasia GP by over 1 second in the rain. Hope his turn of good fortune continues for the race this afternoon.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

hugely frustrating to be an australian fan. i despise vettel, absolutely hate the bloke. so so smug. must say, great driver though. i guess all we can do is hope mark continues climbing the championship ladder. today eh went from 10th-8th. hopefully top 4 after china in 2 weeks.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

nice job Mark Webber no1 in barcelona GP pole...fastest lap and big win.....well done champ. Now onto Monaco. :)

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Did he go off like last time? One of the best pieces of audio you'll ever hear.

Good for him. Yob, is it madness on the streets of Queanbeyan today?

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Jeffles wrote:Did he go off like last time? One of the best pieces of audio you'll ever hear.
I don't think so. Certainly not from any of the news clips I have watched.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

No he was very level headed.....that piece of audio was from his first win...after what 7 - 8 years of trying so you can understand that...... If he keeps this up he has a very good chance for the season....

beastjim
Gold

Post by beastjim »

Well him and Vettal obviously have the best cars going around, so they just pretty much need to keep them on the track and they will do well really.

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

beastjim wrote:Well him and Vettal obviously have the best cars going around, so they just pretty much need to keep them on the track and they will do well really.
Vettel did just that on the weekend, 3rd place without brakes :lol: