Formula 1

Talk about what's going on in the world of sport.
broncos
Silver

Post by broncos »

I wouldn't be so confident Cam. F1 would leave that sh*t course that is Albert Park for Surfers Paradise or Sydney in a heartbeat.

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

Oh really Broncos???

The only reason the Aussie GP hasn't been muscled out of its spot yet is because all the teams and drivers love the track at Albert Park.

Surfers Paradise is no way near technical enough of a circuit to host Formula One. And the Gold Coast Council/QLD Government has no way near enough money.
Just because the V8s can invent street races in interesting places and it can work doesn't mean Formula cars can. :lol:

Sydney wanted to 'hijack' the AGP from Melbourne a few years ago. Iemma wanted to redevelop Eastern Creek, which is about as good idea as Subicao oval :lol: :lol: :lol:
The only logical place (from a motorsport point of view) other than Albert Park to host a Grand Prix is Phillip Island. sh*t but that's in Victoria too!?

A Formula One Grand Prix is that valuable; there are at least 8 countries waiting in line (Russia, India, South Korea, USA, France, Bulgaria, Portugal, and Argentina) for a slot to open up despite Bernie Eccelstone's unbelievable fees.
However, Australians seem to believe that it will be possible to just switch locations because the Vic Gov't is running the race at a loss. Anyone with any decent knowledge of motorsport politics knows that once it leaves Albert Park, it leaves Australia.
It will be Albert Park....or Leningrad.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

In Soviet Melbourne... car leaves you!

broncos
Silver

Post by broncos »

deejaybee wrote: Surfers Paradise is no way near technical enough of a circuit to host Formula One. And the Gold Coast Council/QLD Government has no way near enough money.
Just because the V8s can invent street races in interesting places and it can work doesn't mean Formula cars can. :lol:
Monaco is the most popular event of the year. Is it not fit to host F1 races because its not technical enough? Considering Surfers Paradise has hosted Indy cars for more than a decade it would only need minor alterations to be F1 standard.

The possible break away F1 league touted months ago wanted to host a race on the GC and Bernie Ecclestone even approached the Qld Government about the possibility of racing there a couple of years ago. Obviously F1 don't agree with you.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

But Surfers Paradise has the "SuperGP", there's no way the F1's will even get a look-in there. :lol:

Melbourne is the only Australian city capable of hosting the F1's these days.

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

yob wrote:In Soviet Melbourne... car leaves you!
In the People's Republic of Victoria, Brumby 'borrow' car for the 'benefit of the State'

deejaybee
Silver

Post by deejaybee »

broncos wrote:
deejaybee wrote: Surfers Paradise is no way near technical enough of a circuit to host Formula One. And the Gold Coast Council/QLD Government has no way near enough money.
Monaco is the most popular event of the year. Is it not fit to host F1 races because its not technical enough? Considering Surfers Paradise has hosted Indy cars for more than a decade it would only need minor alterations to be F1 standard.

The possible break away F1 league touted months ago wanted to host a race on the GC and Bernie Ecclestone even approached the Qld Government about the possibility of racing there a couple of years ago. Obviously F1 don't agree with you.

It was more about the FOTA (Formula One Teams Assoc.) having the political and economic potential to start a rival series. That was resolved with a new Concorde Agreement, so no break away.
And it would not have been Bernie who approcahed the Gold Coast at that time: his company (the commercial rights holder, F1 corporation) holds the rights for the Australian Grand Prix to be held in Melbourne.
Bernie would have approcached the GC when Melbourne refused to run night races to pacify the European audiance and contract negotiations broke down.
Bernie would've wanted from Surfers: A complete revedelopment of the track, including layout, Pit complex, etc; and a night race on top of his outrageous race fees. These go up 10% every year.
Do the math on the costs per year and Queensland would have ran away with its tail between its legs.

Plus, any new circuit either needs to have the history or heritage, or needs to be designed by Hernman Tilke. All the new street circuits have been designed by him: Valencia, Yas Marina and Singapore. And he is expensive.

Surfers Paradise is okay for the less skilled Champ Car/IRL and A1GP drivers with less aerodynamic cars, but Formula One? Get real. Look at why Indianapolis hosted all the recent US Grand Prixs.
Because Long Beach and the various other American street races like them no longer cut it. Surfers Paradise falls into that category.

Melbourne has the race because we are willing to put up the money. Everyone else can shut up until they put up the hundreds of millions.

keithroosters
Bronze

Post by keithroosters »

a good result for the final race of the season in dubai for webber. unfortunately vettel gfinisshed 1st the smug bastard.
a few photos of the $1billion curcuit:

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

^ Thats great.

although as a hotel i dont think it works so well...when Ferrari world opens at the track it will do okay.

I fully support F1 going back to Adelaide :D

I noticed at the end they couldnt have the MUMM sponsor on the bottles at the end...they wouldnt be too happy about that, i hadnt noticed it at bahrain.

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Bunghole off to Mclaren.....!

HoldenV8
Silver

Post by HoldenV8 »

cam wrote:Melbourne is the only Australian city capable of hosting the F1's these days.
Cam, I was in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago for the 2009 VHRR Historic Sandown. Sad to report that I enjoyed my time in Melbourne, but that's only because I love motor racing. But, I digress.

Inquiring minds on this forum want to know.....what $hit you smokin' man??? And where can I (we) get some? :D

deejaybee
Silver

Re: Formula 1

Post by deejaybee »

Another year, another bout of waffle from the NSW government about trying to get the Australian Grand Prix from Melbourne.
Good luck with that...
It was only last month since the last plan to move it. And that was by CAMS (AU motorsports' governing body) to build a new state-of-the art track in between Geelong and Melbourne...
But at least they had their costings done

RobertHeatleyStand
Silver

Post by RobertHeatleyStand »

deejaybee wrote:Another year, another bout of waffle from the NSW government about trying to get the Australian Grand Prix from Melbourne.
Good luck with that...
It was only last month since the last plan to move it. And that was by CAMS (AU motorsports' governing body) to build a new state-of-the art track in between Geelong and Melbourne...
But at least they had their costings done
Heard it this morning...

...they were sprouting the same "world city" crap again. :lol:

Lewis Hamilton caught 'hooning' the streets of Melbourne last night and having his car towed. :lol:

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

he was on his way to smash a bob jane store.....Forza a NSW F1 bid.

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

LOL @ Sydney