Formula 1

Talk about what's going on in the world of sport.
yob
Platinum

Re: Formula 1

Post by yob »

the crow wrote:The old turbo days the engines were smaller......I reckon any Holden driver would have a rig that puts out as much grunt a any F1 car, the current V8 engine is half the size of any normal V8.
The teams are promising the V6 turbo will almost match the power of the V8s. The V8s are putting out less power than the turbos of the late 80s. Where did 30 years of R&D go?

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

More horses = more carbons?

dibo
Gold

Post by dibo »

Ask the early 80s drivers how big their nuts had to be to sit in front of the BMW or Renault 1.5L turbo fours.

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

dibo wrote:Ask the early 80s drivers how big their nuts had to be to sit in front of the BMW or Renault 1.5L turbo fours.
:lol:

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

It's back on.....fearless prediction, Webber to do a threepeat of 3rd places in F1 world championship.

redsfan
Bronze

Post by redsfan »

yob wrote:
the crow wrote:The old turbo days the engines were smaller......I reckon any Holden driver would have a rig that puts out as much grunt a any F1 car, the current V8 engine is half the size of any normal V8.
The teams are promising the V6 turbo will almost match the power of the V8s. The V8s are putting out less power than the turbos of the late 80s. Where did 30 years of R&D go?
restrictions i would guess, without looking up the specs i would assume the old F1 turbo's would have been almost free for all in regards to intake size and boost pressure where as now it will all be tightly regulated to restrict the power output.

Some of the boost pressures used in turbo motorsport engines in the 80's were fookin scary!

the crow
Gold

Post by the crow »

Well Melbourne has turned on a feast of weather this weekend....I wonder what the race will bring....Go Webber.