English Championship Thread

Talk about what's going on in the world of sport.
Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Funny reading on Hull City's website. Hull is often referred to as the largest city in the UK not to experience top flight soccer. Their website published a response that consisted of;

1. We're by no means the largest city in Europe to have that honour.
2. Plymouth and Milton Keynes are projected to pass Hull in terms of population.

:lol:

Get that monkey off their back. It's playing with their brains.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

And does anyone know where/how we can watch the game live here in Aus?
Fox Sports 2: 11:00 pm - 02:30 am LIVE Football (Soccer) : CC Championship Final TBA v TBA

Get thy arse to a pub.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

But that's thte championship final (ala 2nd tier), I'm asking about league one (3rd tier) :wink:

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

oh yeah. I reckon fox'll have it but you'll have to wait another day for the tv guide to be updated for next monday's game

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Projected crowds wise, I'm led to believe that each club receives 36k tickets to sell. For the League 1 playoff, Leeds' allocation will sell out, and with Donny being just down the road, there may be a few Leeds fans in their end too. Just got my confirmation email too, so I will be there.
I can't see Rochdale or Stockport selling out their allocations for the League 2 playoff.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

I probably should look for this myself but I'm busy so does anyone have the crowd figures for all the play-off games for each division for say the last 10 years?

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Fox Sports wrote:Although late notice, there has been an update on the League 1 final. Details are as follows:

Football
Coca-Cola League One
Playoff Final
Leeds v Doncaster

We have been given late clearance to broadcast this game by the rights holder.
Rights to the match were not originally included in our Coca-Cola Championship contract.

Due to live commitments on all three channels on the night of Sunday 25 May,
the match will be shown on DELAY (ko is scheduled for 12.00 am on Monday morning).

Details:

Monday 26 May
FOX SPORTS 3
3.00 am EST

Replay of the match is scheduled on Monday 26th at 1.30 pm (FOX SPORTS 3).

NOTE
In the event that the First Test between the West Indies v Australia is completed by the end of Day 3 or the French Open is washed out, the Leeds v Doncaster game will be shown LIVE from 11.30pm EST on Sunday 25 May.

Kind Regards,

FOX SPORTS
French Open doesn't look to be washed out, only hope is the Cricket, no live action at the moment but I think it may be lunch break.

May be able to watch the game live online here: http://www.justin.tv/ross_yoursport

Pretty sure it's all sold out. I know Leeds 36k allocation sold out last Wednesday. There was huge demand.

Kick-off is 12pm AEST. Go Leeds!

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

Go Donny! Sorry Cam, another year in tier 3 ;)

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Donny had a corner so I thought I'd sneak a look at the structure of the roof. Missed the only goal of the game. Not that I actually wanted to see Donny score :x
Second time I'd been to Wembley. It was even more impressive with an almost decent crowd. Would have been bigger if Donny had sold even more of their tickets to Leeds fans. :lol: Halfway through the first half there was a stream of people in the top deck leaving their seats in the Doncaster end heading for a hastily cobbled together Leeds section.

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Very disappointing result! It didn't end up being live on Fox Sports, but watched the first half on that dodgey website which was, well, better than nothing. It cut out at half time so went to bed, and had updates sms'd to me direct from yorkshire. Recorded it on the iQ and watched tonight. The Leeds end looked amazing, a huge see of white, and the atmosphere sounded awesome. Crowd was 75k (I think this was a record leage one crowd?), and I reckon Leeds outnumbered Donny 2-1, unfortunately it was the opposite on the field.

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

cam wrote:Crowd was 75k (I think this was a record leage one crowd?), and I reckon Leeds outnumbered Donny 2-1, unfortunately it was the opposite on the field.
Our 99 playoff final against Gillingham was about the same - huge crowd and 2/3 of it a sea of blue.

wolves and victory man
Silver

Post by wolves and victory man »

A bit of a bump but we are going up and we are champions :D

Also Leeds are playing f***ing Millwall in the play-offs :lol:

kilonewton
Bronze

Post by kilonewton »

Leeds v Millwall, and I'll be back in Melbourne. In fact, if Leeds make the final, my plane lands at Heathrow 30 minutes after kickoff :(
There was some internet chat going around last week that the police had decided to ban away fans in the event that Leeds & Millwall would meet. The supposed spokesman was Isaac Hunt....

Kelly_7
Bronze

Post by Kelly_7 »

For those Leeds United fans (myself being one of them) we lost to Millwall in the playoffs, so unfortunately its another year of League One, hopefully we can get promoted next season.

cam
Gold

Re: English Championship Thread

Post by cam »

GO LEEDS GO LEEDS GO LEEDS!!!! :D 1-0 winners over Man Utd FA Cup Rd3