European Rugby League Thread

Talk about what's going on in the world of sport.
Jeffles
Platinum

European Rugby League Thread

Post by Jeffles »

I almost called this the "English" Rugby League thread and then I remembered the reason I was posting this.

In the opening round this week, there have been three engage Mutual Assurance Super League games thus far. (The first 'e' in engage must be lower case as in 'silverchair').

On Friday night, newly promoted Castleford found out that Superleague won't be a cake walk like they enjoyed last year. Hull FC downed them 42-18 in front of 10,188 in Cas.

Last night the two new teams debuted. Harlequins RL were caned by St Helen's 40-16 in front of 8213 at Twickenham Stoop. New image, same old Tony Rea coaching unfortunately.

Finally, the Catalan Dragons outclassed Wigan Warriors RLFC 38-30 in a come from behing win before 11,000 crazy French fanatics. Great to see the side start on such a high note.

A very good start to the year.

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

ha ha ha the pies lost :P :P and it's tidy little stadium they've got down there as well

quidgybo
Silver

Post by quidgybo »

Gees I hope Catalans just go and go. I really believe that their success, along with the continued development of the Warriors in Auckland, are perhaps the two single most important keys to the survival and expansion of the game internationally.

Leigh.

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Apparently people had travelled over from New Zealand to watch Stacey..er, the Catalans play.

Tough life for some.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Rochdale v Oldham postponed in the National League cup.

Other results in Superleague went to plan except Salford got up against Warrington. :o

The Catalan Dragons have a better chance of surviving than PSG/ When PSG were around French players were expected to honour their French Elite contracts and therefore play for their local team when not required by PSG. The idea was that the local comp would not be depleted by Superleague and that would benefit the local game. It failed spectacularly especially since there was only one Parisian club playing in Elite 1 and most other clubs were down south. Further, since France still have a winter League this made it complicated for many players especially when both seasons are running at the same time. Thus PSG had to rely on imports. Still, they averaged 7000 in the two years they played.

Now Catalan Dragons do not have to enforce that on players. And where they do surplus players do not have far to go. Catalan Dragons are a better model for success. But if you are a believer in omens, I will remind you that Fulham RLFC beat Wigan RLFC on their first game at Craven Cottage in 1980.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

ah, so this is why the Wigan-Liverpool match was played on a cow paddock, eh?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Simmo79 wrote:ah, so this is why the Wigan-Liverpool match was played on a cow paddock, eh?
Wigan played in Perpignan. I think the JJB was used in the weeks before though for RL.

Speaking of the Wigan v Liverpool match, I was watching a promo on Saturday night for Fox Sports coverage that night. It was one of those ones where they play music and show footage of the town and the team. There was a sign, clearly visible, that said "Welcome to Wigan - Home of Superleague Champions Wigan Warriors"

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Jeffles wrote: Speaking of the Wigan v Liverpool match, I was watching a promo on Saturday night for Fox Sports coverage that night. It was one of those ones where they play music and show footage of the town and the team. There was a sign, clearly visible, that said "Welcome to Wigan - Home of Superleague Champions Wigan Warriors"

I can count one - if not two - problems with that.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Simmo79 wrote:ah, so this is why the Wigan-Liverpool match was played on a cow paddock, eh?
Here is your answer Simmo, with thanks to Paley from the totalrl.com forums.

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/play_uk.php?id=753943

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Jones has suspected broken arm

FRIDAY - 17th February 2006

Catalans Dragons fear star signing Stacey Jones may have broken his right arm in Friday night’s engage Super League defeat at Salford.

The inspirational New Zealand scrum-half left the field after just 10 minutes of the French newcomers’ 16-0 loss at The Willows and will now be sent for x-rays.

Jones was outstanding as the Dragons made a stunning start to life in the competition by beating Wigan last week - but without him they were unable to break a resolute Reds side.

Dragons assistant coach Paul Donkin said: “We can’t tell at this moment, but he feels it is broken. He feels he’s done it before.

“It would be a big loss. You don’t want your number-one signing to go out in the second round.

“But it didn’t alter the gameplan. The boys know their job - but unfortunately some of them didn’t do it.”

Salford dominated the game but led only 6-0 at the interval after the first of Stuart Littler’s two tries. Littler added his second early in the second half - but it was not until Andrew Brocklehurst touched down nine minutes from time the game was finally safe.

Donkin, who along with director of rugby David Waite remains in caretaker charge of the team, added: “It is pretty disappointing. We have come full circle from last week.

“We were upbeat and excited - but now we are down in the dumps. We will go back and assess it and come back better.”

Salford’s win continued their excellent start to the season, after they overcame Warrington in their opening game.

The Reds have conceded just six points in two games, and coach Karl Harrison is delighted with his side’s defence.

He said: “Defensively we were pretty good. To ‘nil’ anybody at this level is a great achievement.

“We have worked really hard defensively - it is something that started last season.

“With the ball we were a bit rusty - and I think the score flattered Catalans. We could have had three or four tries in the first half.

“But they didn’t go away. We could have blown them away - so credit to them for sticking in there.”
http://www.superleague.co.uk/news/2642

Shite.

22tone
Bronze

Post by 22tone »

Jeffles wrote:
Here is your answer Simmo, with thanks to Paley from the totalrl.com forums.

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/play_uk.php?id=753943
paley or shall i say gort.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Spud, why you look so sad?
Tears are in your eyes
Come on it had to be now
Dont be ashamed to cry
Chris Hamilton will too
cause he knows the bill's are due
When the drop falls on you
You dont know what to do
Nothing you profess
Could make Oldham play less

In N - L - 2
In N - L - 2
Workington Town will host you

In N - L - 2
Oldham now are in their darkest hour
Gateshead Thunder will host you
In N - L - 2

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Wigan losing points for rorting the UK cap.

Bradford set to lose points.

A whole host of other teams getting fined for busting the cap.

Why am i not shocked? :roll:

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

jeffles - lifes full of up's and downs..then again your a rochdale fan, what would you know about either going up or down,yet another season of mid table mediocrity :roll:

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

britishspud wrote:jeffles - lifes full of up's and downs..then again your a rochdale fan, what would you know about either going up or down,yet another season of mid table mediocrity :roll:
I'll pay that! Though Hornets could be worse - they could be the Dale! I think Oldham will be better for it. They can sort out their financial problems and they will be a better club for it. Hopefully this galvinises some fans and they rally behind their club. And then there's always the Law Cup.

Good to see Wigan back into contention for the drop. It would be great for them to have a bit of a reality check. I'd like Wakey to go down as well. They've been the worst side opver the past five years but have avoided the drop - on many instances scraping through on the last day of competition. So either way I won't care. I'm hoping the Dragons avoid coming last so that we don't get the, "they should be relegated - stupid expansion = no relegation clause" people.