NFL Disscussion Thread - aka the old AFL players thread

Talk about what's going on in the world of sport.
Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Egan you need to watch the hyperbole.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

I only started watching the game from just before half-time but i was totally enthralled by the event the moment I turned the TV on.

Was amazed that Prince didn't slip over during his performance. :lol: Was that Diamonds and Pearls dancing with him?

As for the wet cheerleaders, they seemed to focus on the same one all the time. Playboy photoshoot coming up soon perhaps?

A few questions for the NFL heads:

*What is the total allocation for fans of the competing teams? Do they have one or is it just open slather to the highest bidder?

*What is the full list of all the Superbowls, competiting teams and venues?

*Is there more grass or artificial surfaces in the NFL? (same for open/roofed venues)

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

*What is the total allocation for fans of the competing teams? Do they have one or is it just open slather to the highest bidder?

Fark knows. Might not have one and if they do it’s pretty low. At any rate the few fans who are there are spread out and mixed in with the vast army of cashed-up neutrals.

*What is the full list of all the Superbowls, competiting teams and venues?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Su ... _champions

*Is there more grass or artificial surfaces in the NFL? (same for open/roofed venues)

I’m not gonna look it up but the recent trend has been for clubs to rip up astro-turf and go back to grass or update to FieldTurf. Fairly even balance between fake and real grass.

There are 8 dome stadiums, 23 outodoors. Most of the outdoor stadiums are largely uncovered. http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/afc.htm

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

I know that the Patriots recently ripped up the grass and went to Field Turf mid-season.

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

A couple of steps down from Collingwood, though not the Kangas, but the Big Sav looks like he could be the next old retired player to make it into the NFL. I reckon his 'little' brother might follow him over at the end of next season -

Big-kicking Rocca wins fans
August 9, 2007 (Age)

Sav Rocca kicks.

HE'S yet to play a game, but Saverio Rocca has become something of a fan favourite at the Philadelphia Eagles. With up to 20,000 Eagles supporters making the pilgrimage to Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, each day for the NFL team's pre-season training camp, former AFL star Rocca has quickly gained a cult following courtesy of his booming boot.

"Chicks dig the long ball," quipped an Eagles official this week after the crowd went wild over another 55-metre punt by the Australian. The fan appreciation continues each day after training, with Rocca further pleasing what are widely considered among America's most passionate — and at times vitriolic — supporters (they once booed Santa Claus) by happily signing autographs. "I can't believe how many people have been here every day," the former Collingwood and Kangaroos star told the Press of Atlantic City. "We'd maybe get 100, 200 people at our practices in Australia. The facilities are tremendous here, too. We had our training camps back home in army barracks." :lol:

How much that cult following grows will be decided over the next month as Rocca battles for a spot on the Eagles' final 53-man roster for the 2007 NFL season. The 33-year-old is in a duel with incumbent Dirk Johnson for the Eagles punting job. At the start of camp early last week, Johnson seemed to have the position sewn up, with Rocca struggling badly for consistency. That changed, though, when Rocca unleashed a 62-metre monster late last week.

The pair have been going kick for kick, with Rocca inching closer every day in his quest to become the third Australian — alongside Dallas Pro Bowl punter Mat McBriar and Ben Graham of the New York Jets — to feature in the NFL this year. Johnson held his spot as first-string punter when the Eagles released their first official depth chart of the pre-season. But the real battle is set to begin next Tuesday, when Philadelphia kicks off its four-match pre-season campaign away to the Baltimore Ravens.

"It's going to be interesting to see how (Rocca) handles the pressure when he gets a rush on him (in a game)," Eagles special teams coach Rory Segrest said. "We've got two extremely good punters right now, so it's going to be a great battle." It has also been a tense battle — Rocca and Johnson are roommates at camp, sharing a four-person suite with kicker David Akers and long snapper Jon Dorenbos. "Dirk doesn't help me much, but I totally understand," Rocca said. "It's a difficult situation because he's trying to keep his job and I'm trying to get it."

With all NFL teams confirming their lists by September 1, Rocca won't have to wonder what his future holds for much longer.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Cheap shot on Sav 'Roker' in the NFL pre-season v Baltimore

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cerDBOd_zlg

sandyhill
Gold

Post by sandyhill »

That was some (cheapshot) hit - welcome to the NFL, Sav!
Anyway, at least he got up fairly quickly - considering.

Pinched the folllowing info from Bigfooty -

Both Dirk Johnson and Sav Rocca punted the ball like their jobs were on the line. Johnson averaged 43.7 yards on three punts, two of which landed inside the 20, and Rocca averaged 48.3 yards on four punts. But Johnson averaged 41 net yards compared to Rocca’s 39.5, a stat that has a lot to do with Rocca’s strong foot. Since Rocca can crush the ball, he sometimes has a tendency to outkick his coverage, which usually leads to a big return. Rocca said there was only [one] difference between kicking in the NFL and Australian Football League. “Just the balls,” Rocca said. “These balls are straight out of the packet and very, very slippery in your fingers. You just have to make sure you catch it and get it off right.”

And here's a detailed training camp report (its amazing the amount of even minor detail in NFL that gets reported by someone or other) -

2:17 PM: Now the focus shifts from kickoff returns to the punting contest. Dirk Johnson is up first, and boots three consecutive good kicks. Even more important that their distance (and they're between 45 and 50 yards), is they are well directed to the left side.

2:19 PM: Sav Rocca takes his turn, and he is even more impressive today. His kicks are well directed to the left side too, and one of them goes about 65 or 70 yards. The smaller crowd that has come out for the special teams portion of practice voices its approval with a vigorous round of applause.

2:25 PM: The punters are switching off now in a back and forth battle. Johnson is pretty good today but so his Rocca. The big Australian native is more consistent today, and his lack of consistency has been the biggest criticism of him. Rocca has had only two sub-par punts so far, and neither was a particularly disastrous shank. This is out of about 10 to 12 kicks. Almost sensing what I'm writing, Johnson responds with three very good kicks - high, tight spirals that go about 45 to 50 yards. On the third the crowd takes a turn to applaud Johnson.

2:40 PM: The punters now move-up, with the line of scrimmage 45 yards from the end zone, and take turns working on trying to pin the team inside the ten-yard line. Dirk Johnson, who normally excels at this drill, boots a few into the endzone.

2:43 PM: It's Sav Rocca's turn up, and he employs an interesting style when trying to pin teams deep. Normally Rocca punts a spiraling ball, like any other punter. Here, however, he kicks the ball end over end, and with great results. (Rocca here employs an Aussie invention - the good old drop-punt) The first punt hits at the five yard line and checks up like a pitching wedge. Of Rocca's six kicks, not one goes into the endzone, and all of them end up somewhere between the 10 and the 20.

2:49 PM: Also fielding punts right now with Bloom are J.J Outlaw and Greg Lewis. Sav Rocca finally boots a ball that rolls into the endzone, ending a very good streak for Rocca. Consistency is supposed to be what Rocca lacks, but he has been more consistent than Johnson today.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/ ... y_id=13526

Considering Johnson is a seasoned pro and was brought up with the game, compared to Sav with no previous experience, Sav has shown enourmous ability, so even if Philly play safe and stick with Johnson, Sav must be a good chance of then being picked up by another team at some stage in the up-coming season.

hot_dogma
Platinum

Post by hot_dogma »

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/ ... ayer_id=73
by the Eagles on 1/25/07. One of the best players in the history of the Australian Football League played in 257 career games and scored 748 goals in his 15-year career for the Collingwood Magpies (1992-99) and the North Melbourne Kangaroos (2000-2006).
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :lol:

sandyhill
Gold

Post by sandyhill »

SAV's MADE IT!!

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/08/ ... es-roster/

Despite starting his first NFL pre-season as a rank outsider to snare the punters position from the incumbent seasoned pro, Dirk Johnson, Sav's kicking has now landed him a 3 year contract for the Philie Eagles. So now he's gone from (quote) "... One of the best players in the history of the Australian Football League ..." 8) to be one of 3 current Aussie punters in the NFL.

I reckon 'little' brother Anthony might go over to join him after next season.

redback_original
Silver

Post by redback_original »

That cheap shot in the Raven's game was great!

I loved what they said on NFL live - 'kickers have gotta watch out - cos anytime they're waltzing around the field - a game of football may actually breakout'

Hmmm..

apparently Sav's now the oldest rookie in NFL history..

redback_original
Silver

Sav's first real game [v Greenbay] will be broadcast here in Australia on Fox this Monday morning.. live.. 3AM

sandyhill
Gold

Post by sandyhill »

Like the updated thread title! :lol:
redback_original wrote: ... I loved what they said on NFL live - 'kickers have gotta watch out - cos anytime they're waltzing around the field - a game of football may actually breakout'...
At least the Aussie punters are used to that - I liked the way Sav soon got up after taking the big cheap shot hit. In the report below "... Rocca said his new role is physically a piece of cake compared to the rigours of playing AFL ..."
redback_original wrote: ... apparently Sav's now the oldest rookie in NFL history..
Yep - he beats Ben Graham's record!
redback_original wrote:Sav's first real game [v Greenbay] will be broadcast here in Australia on Fox this Monday morning.. live.. 3AM
Divided loyalties then for me, being a Green Bay fan - but I really want Sav to do well at Lambeau Field . Howefully he'll be inspired by his little brothers 6 goal performance last night.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 88,00.html

redback_original
Silver

I hope he doesn't make any bad mistakes as a holder like Ben Graham did initially..

He stuffed up a few in the preseason..

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Video of Redskins@Philly - Sav involved (briefly)

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?season=20 ... e_id=29226

sandyhill
Gold

Post by sandyhill »

Time for an update here - and rigidly sticking to Simmo's amended thread title.

Firstly, the New England Patriots became the first team to have the perfect regular season in 35 years, with 16 wins out of 16 -

Now, more importantly, an update of the 3 Australians in the NFL -

Graham shines in NFL return
HUN, December 31, 2007

BEN Graham made a promising return to the NFL today after reclaiming his punting spot for New York Jets' final game of the regular season. A week after being dumped for the first time in his three-year American football career, Graham won back the role from rookie Jeremy Kapinos in a positive sign for his future at the Jets. The former Geelong AFL star made the most of his recall, averaging 45.1 yards (41m) from eight punts. He started the game with one kick of 56 yards (51m), before dropping his second kick at the Chiefs' two-yard (2m) line.

Graham was on the field to celebrate the Jets' 13-10 overtime win after acting as holder for place-kicker Mike Nugent's game-winning field goal. Graham has four years to run on a six-year deal with the Jets, but his position - like many on the team - will probably still come under review in the off-season after a disappointing season for New York.

After winning 10 games to feature in the playoffs last season, the Jets tumbled to 4-12 this year. But Graham's attitude should have made a good impression with the Jets hierarchy. While admitting he had been rocked by his axing last week against Tennessee, the 34-year-old vowed to win back his spot against the Chiefs.

He has also been nothing but a consummate professional in working with Kapinos after the rookie joined the Jets last month. "Ben's been great,'' Kapinos said. "I couldn't have asked for a better situation. He told me a lot about how to be a professional in every aspect of the word, in terms of work, taking care of yourself. I'm definitely grateful that I've had him to help me along.''

Saverio Rocca ended his rookie year on a winning note after the Philadelphia Eagles beat Buffalo 17-9 to finish 8-8 for the season. The former Collingwood and Kangaroos forward averaged a solid 42-yards (38m) per punt over the season.

Fellow Australian Mat McBriar warmed up for a return to the playoffs by punting seven times for Dallas today in their 27-6 loss to Washington. The Cowboys (13-3), already guaranteed a first round bye and home advantage for the playoffs after claiming the best record in the NFC, rested several key players during the match.