NFL Disscussion Thread - aka the old AFL players thread

Talk about what's going on in the world of sport.
Saints-Premiers
Silver

Post by Saints-Premiers »

And that is why they've never made the SuperBowl (well, they have been around about 5 years)

Seriously though, in hindsight would the Texans have made the same decision? I wouldn't have thought so. But hindsight is a lovely thing.

redback_original
Silver

Post by redback_original »

Saints-Premiers wrote:I don't like the week break.

I'm bloody back at school the week after a have to watch it on replay. Heh, it will be the last time though.
So are they ditching the week break after this year?

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

No, he's finishing school after this year.

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

Sav's gone on to the NFL ... he was always reliable kicking at goal over 50 metres out ... but then again sh1thouse under 40 metres!

How long before his 'little' brother follows him over?

Sav soaring with Eagles
27 January 2007 Herald-Sun

FORMER Kangaroos forward Saverio Rocca is the latest addition to the ranks of Australian punters at American football clubs. Rocca, whose booming kicks were a feature of his 257 AFL games, has been signed by the NFL's Philadelphia Eagles.

But signing does not mean playing -- he now has to compete for the punting spot with incumbent veteran Dirk Johnson. Rocca has been placed on a three-year non-guaranteed contract, which means the Eagles can terminate at will.

Should Rocca, 33, make it through the off-season and play for the Eagles, he will become the sixth Australian to play in the NFL. He would follow former West Coast and Melbourne forward Darren Bennett and former Geelong captain Ben Graham from AFL ranks. Rocca would also break Graham's record as the oldest rookie in NFL history. Graham was 31 when he started two seasons ago.

Graham, a punter with the New York Jets, and another Australian, Mat McBriar, with the Dallas Cowboys, took part in this season's NFL playoffs -- the first time for two Australians. McBriar, who led the NFL punting averages, was also selected for the end-of-season NFL Pro Bowl game.

Rocca, who retired from the AFL at the end of 2006, kicked 748 goals in 15 seasons, the 12th-highest tally in VFL/AFL history. He played 156 games with Collingwood, where he was a seven-time leading goalkicker, and 101 with the Kangaroos, where he led the goal tally three times.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

Bears scored a TD off the kick-off. Converted.

Colts scored TD. Two-point conversion farked up.

Bears 7-6 at 6.50 in First quarter.

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

prince is doing the half time show.it's pissing down,be funny if he got frazzled :lol:

16 v 14 colts....anyway

i picking the bears to win by 1 :wink: 23 v 24 or something

britishspud
Silver

Post by britishspud »

prince doing a foo fighters number :shock: :shock: i've seen it all now

IanRitchie
Platinum

Post by IanRitchie »

Simmo79 wrote: Colts scored TD. Two-point conversion farked up.
Nope, just a fumble on the xp attempt.

Still better than last years Superbowl.

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

yeah noticed that it was PAT not a 3pointer. Don't know where I read that

and that's another year of the NFL done.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

There were so many empty seats during the 4th quarter. I don't care that it was raining, it just goes to show how true the above cartoon Simmo posted really is.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Jeffles wrote:There were so many empty seats during the 4th quarter. I don't care that it was raining, it just goes to show how true the above cartoon Simmo posted really is.
Is that why NRL clubs have no fans when it rains in Sydney :lol:

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Egan wrote:Is that why NRL clubs have no fans when it rains in Sydney :lol:
This is the GF!!!!!

The fans all stuck around in the rain in 2003 when the great Penrith Panthers accounted for the Sydney Roosters and they've done so for SOO. Let's just forget the rest...

Saints-Premiers
Silver

Post by Saints-Premiers »

Good win to the Colts, haven't seen it yet, but hopefully will tonight.

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

I'm not sure Simmo's cartoon is that true - it implies some actual fans were there!

Weren't the Colts the team that was spirited out in the middle of the night some years back from Baltimore, only to turn up unexpectedly turn up in Indianapolis the very next day, because that city had built a brand new municipal stadium - after making an infamous secret agreement with the Colts owners?

I think relations between those cities have never recovered since.

tom
Bronze

Post by tom »

Weren't the Colts the team that was spirited out in the middle of the night some years back from Baltimore, only to turn up unexpectedly turn up in Indianapolis the very next day, because that city had built a brand new municipal stadium - after making an infamous secret agreement with the Colts owners?
Pretty much but it was no stealth job. Baltimore fans silently watched in tears as the vans drove out. The hoosie dome (RCA) was built as part of a city regeneration, part 1 of an exhibition centre, a venue for final 4 basketball and of course to snare a football team.