2012 Decision - LONDON WINS

Talk about what's going on in the world of sport.
swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

Absolutely the right winner.

London is the greatest city on earth for many reasons.
Mainly because it has more different ethnic communities than any other place and they get along better than anywhere I know and, perhaps because of this, has a great spirit with people really caring about the rest of the world as shown with the power of the live8 make poverty history campaign, which became part of british politics.

London simply sets an example to the rest of the world.

As a tolerant multicultural dynamic business-friendly high-growth english-speaking european commonwealth city it is in a league of its own and by 2012 will no doubt be even further down the road to become essentially a capital of the world.

yes, I like the place...

Tonic
Bronze

Post by Tonic »

Capital of the world?... I think New York has got that covered for while yet...

sandyhill
Gold
Location: Just across the road from Australia's largest stadium

Post by sandyhill »

I liked the timing of the announcement - beating up on the French again right on the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalger. Nice touch that. It was good for London to win - even better that they beat the French!

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

swede wrote:Absolutely the right winner.

Mainly because it has more different ethnic communities than any other place and they get along better than anywhere I know and, perhaps because of this, has a great spirit with people really caring about the rest of the world as shown with the power of the live8 make poverty history campaign, which became part of british politics.

As a tolerant multicultural dynamic business-friendly high-growth english-speaking european commonwealth city it is in a league of its own and by 2012 will no doubt be even further down the road to become essentially a capital of the world.

yes, I like the place...
Are you somehow ignorant of the fact that the tube bombers were home grown?

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

Joey wrote:What a bittersweet 24 hours for london!
No disrespect intended whatsoever, but one could almost have suspected the French, given the previous week.

London won it because:
1) They had a very impressive last presentation....while the work has already been done and votes decided by this stage, lasting impressions are important. The Londoners had the best use of technology also.
2) They harpooned more celebrities than the others. This on face value also doesn't do a thing, but factors such as Tony Blair's intensive negotiations and his presence reiterated their commitment etc.
3) THey received votes from the other countries that were eliminated...moreso than the others. Half the thing - the conferences etc is about the countries building alliances and negotiating. That is also why the system has become too political, corrupt and pathetic. So much money is spent not only by the bidding countries, but by the IOC as well.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

yes, I like the place...
Yep I deffinately agree the OBE Award winner was the right choice :wink:

Sorry HMS...no competition after that post :wink:

Agree Swede, but i think many major cities in the western world can claim the same, Sydney, New York, Toronto...all have become extremely multi-cultural.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

yob wrote:

yes, I like the place...
They were from West Yockha!

Joey
Silver

Post by Joey »

Tonic wrote:Capital of the world?... I think New York has got that covered for while yet...
Watch out for Shanghai

stadiumking
Gold

Post by stadiumking »

Joey wrote:
Tonic wrote:Capital of the world?... I think New York has got that covered for while yet...
Watch out for Shanghai
Shanghai is truly awesome...mindblowing. Recommended to anyone travelling to Asia.

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

And how do you reason that? though most americans no doubt agree, its nonsense to me.

The UN has London as the most multicultural city on earth in terms of number of different ethnic communities, more than New York,

but thats just historic immigration.

Currently far more people fly in and out of London from everywhere to work, whether for a long or a short time. Denmark with just 5½ million population is estimated to always have some 40-70,000 people there, though no figures are known because people from 25 different countries, almost half a billion people have unrestricted access to go and work there.
Many others find little trouble.

NY has nothing even close to that kind of international travel in and out, nor do they have as much international trade or culture, look at sport... americans pretty much play with themselves.

Looking at geography, NY is in a rather isolated continent, whereas London is 2 hours away from 50 different european countries in what is still the worlds richest continent.
Most african nations, particularly, the most influential South Africa, see London as the gateway to europe, as does India in Asia and the US an dare I say Australia.

But its also a question of attitude. In the war on terror the US is far more focused on all their homeland security, believing far more that they can keep the world´s problems away whereas Britain is more aware of needing to fix the world.
Again something like Live8 could never attain such political importance in NY as it did in London. The average new yorker simply isnt that involved with the rest of the world. No doubt because not that many have actual left the US.
English cricketers will be travelling to pakistan this winter, would a new york yankee baseballer even consider that? rather unlikely. they would be terrified.

Of course its a pointless discussion, as what exactly is a world capital, but I like the argument, as it involves all the things that makes it such a fantastic city

And I havent even brought up stadium constructions happening at an almost unbelievable level.
The expansion of Twickenham to 82,000 have now begun, joining the ongoing work on new/rebuilt Wembley 90,000, arsenal 60,000, Ascot, 80,000, Mill Dome 23,000, and thats before the olympics.
London could arguably soon have the worlds greatest venues for both football, rugby, cricket, tennis and indoor events, and possibly even athletics

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

yob wrote:

yes, I like the place...
No I am aware of that, but not quite aware of what point that makes?

There are millions of muslims in Britain and without question thousands that support these actions just as they have support from a minority in all other muslim communities.

Their actions say nothing about cultural relations in London, which are not perfect, only better than anywhere else to my knowledge.

Anyway, I dont want to waste time thinking about these bombers. or where they are from. Ignore them. I know there were some problems again on thursday, but in my mind, the most devastating attack on England that day was performed by an australian at Lord´s

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Your missing a major cricket venue...I hope they turn the London Olympic Stadium into crickets home after the Olympics...but it won't happen.

Agree with most of your points Swede...London is a truly multi-cultural city and far far more worldly then New York...you just have to listen to UK news to see the difference between that and American News.

UK - Embraces all world affairs
USA - Extremely insular and Fox News was more concerned with who would be elected the Supreme Court Judge then the visit from Australia of Prime Minister John Howard.

swede
Bronze

Post by swede »

Well possibly, but there is a lot against it as well, such as the unthinkable of either leaving Lord´s or the oval or have 3 london venues to maintain.
No doubt both London venues have long-term staging agreements as well or they couldnt finance their redevelopment

Lord´s is still an impressive venue, not least the off-field facilities, and continues to be voted no. 1 by the players and 30,000 isnt exactly small but, of course, its sad when you can build bigger and when ashes tickets are on e-bay at £400 and combined with cricket leaving free tv in the UK next year its not exactly perfect.

What I would really like to see is an expansion of Lord`s. It should be possible and even offer excellent views from most new seats as the place is underdeveloped behind the bowlers´s arm at the nursery end. It could come close to a 50,000 capacity but its some years away.
They would have to accept losing the small nursery ground plus overcome building and traffic issues.

More cynically, I could imagine them getting the idea of expanding matches instead, say 6 days of 75 overs at unchanged prices

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

That's not a bump, this is a bump!

:wink:
Nine, Foxtel to broadcast Olympics

October 13, 2007 10:10am
Article from: AAP

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

THE Nine Network and FOXTEL have jointly secured the exclusive broadcast rights from the International Olympic Committee for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics and the 2012 London Summer Olympics.
The landmark deal will see Nine and FOXTEL partner to deliver Australians the most comprehensive coverage of the winter and summer Olympics ever seen on free-to-air and subscription television.

The Nine/FOXTEL deal includes live rights for free-to-air, HD Channel programming and subscription television, as well as internet and mobile rights.

Nine Network Australia Chief Executive Officer David Gyngell said the bid for the Olympic broadcasting was another step in a process to take Nine back to its position as the leading free-to-air broadcaster in Australia.

"The bid for the Olympic rights underscores the longer term commitment to the Network and the preparedness to invest in content."

Mr Gyngell said the coverage on Nine would be comprehensive and exciting.

"We believe the London Olympics will be a great event - London is a solid cultural fit with our viewing audiences and will achieve strong ratings particularly with the historical links in sporting and cultural terms between Australia and the United Kingdom," he said.

FOXTEL Chief Executive Kim Williams said FOXTEL would complement Nine's coverage by delivering subscribers an expanded coverage that will provide choice of whole live strands of Olympic competition.

"Not only will FOXTEL provide dedicated extra channels, we will broadcast many elements of our coverage in high definition, which together with the FOXTEL iQ disc drive set-top units, FOXTEL Mobile and Broadband will give our subscribers the ultimate control, choice and personalisation of how they watch the Olympics," he said.

The bid for the Olympics was lodged in Lausanne by David Gyngell, Jeffrey Browne and Gary Fenton from Nine, and Kim Williams and Peter Campbell from FOXTEL.
http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0 ... 37,00.html

Ray Warren for the Olympics! Imagine the hyperbole.

Dasher39
Silver

Post by Dasher39 »

Foxtel wrote:"Not only will FOXTEL provide dedicated extra channels, we will broadcast many elements of our coverage in high definition..."
I'd hope by 2012 they'd be broadcasting everything in HD, not just "elements".

Surprised to see 7 lose the rights, they'd have been confident of retaining them. It really was the jewel in their crown, and if they lose the AFL rights for 2012+ they'd be stuffed.