Soccer or Football?

Anything relating to the Austadiums website such as feedback, ideas & site updates.

What should Austadiums refer to the World Game as?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:56 pm

Soccer
57%
Football
43%

Total votes: 21

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

To be fair, the publicity generated by 'football or soccer?' debates on radio, letters to papers etc. has been good for the sport. It's made a lot of people stand up and take notice that the sport is for once serious about what it's trying to achieve, thus its credibility has risen.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Too much energy putting it towards one very minor element.

Should have put more energy to bigger and better things.

Like making sure that the Salary Cap is abolished next year and concentrating to make sure all clubs can compete in a no-salary cap competition.

We would have an amazing competition if we had no salary cap...its a pity we have shut ourselves off from the world market into a league which has a salary cap...when others do not.

Put energy in putting a Youth League set up, with Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney FC in one division

and Brisbane, Newcastle, Central Coast and New Zealand Knights in the other.

Their are bigger issues then a paltry name change...and its driving me crazy how petty some people became of it...a name change to Football was like the biggest birthday present they could get.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I also share the view that too much emphasis is eing put on the name of the game.

AusFootball
Bronze

Post by AusFootball »

Egan wrote:Too much energy putting it towards one very minor element.

Should have put more energy to bigger and better things.

Like making sure that the Salary Cap is abolished next year and concentrating to make sure all clubs can compete in a no-salary cap competition.

We would have an amazing competition if we had no salary cap...its a pity we have shut ourselves off from the world market into a league which has a salary cap...when others do not.

Put energy in putting a Youth League set up, with Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney FC in one division

and Brisbane, Newcastle, Central Coast and New Zealand Knights in the other.

Their are bigger issues then a paltry name change...and its driving me crazy how petty some people became of it...a name change to Football was like the biggest birthday present they could get.
i wouldnt get rid of the salary cap in my opinion, in the first year neways. Thats what stuffed the other clubs up with over spending and waste of funds going to better sources. At least with the Salary Cap in place, they can spend there 1.5 mill a year on players while getting all the other money into sources where they need it the most e.g. youth level - i agree we whould have a junior team of local all-stars under the big clubs "the glamour clubs" such as Sydney FC

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Gloryboys forum - stated that half the people in England call the game soccer...this is from a pom, and he also stated that he couldnt stand the emphasis on the name change.

Hopefully the media come to common sence.

Salary Cap is a disaster, Who cares if Sydney FC got the best players, Central Coast.

We have effectively closed ourselves from the World..and that is what I hate, how can we improve if we put such severe restrictions such as a Salary Cap...its a joke, hopefully it changes in a few years.

The point I was making, people are so concerned with the name of the game, they are not putting pressure on integral issues facing the game and to help improve the game, like setting up a Youth League, with all the funds that Australia is set to gain...eg WCQ money should be given to set it up, money from FIFA to help set it up...no public pressue, therefore no need for FA to do something...instead were so bloody paranoid on the name of the game :!:

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Egan wrote:Gloryboys forum - stated that half the people in England call the game soccer...this is from a pom, and he also stated that he couldnt stand the emphasis on the name change.
I dunno about half but I don't doubt that heaps of people call it soccer in the UK - at least they do in the RL community.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

It wasn't a dead to the doornail figure, was just using it as an example that calling it soccer is not a big deal...either if you call it football, both are perfectly acceptable in Australia as they are in other english speaking parts of the world...just need to get it through peoples thick skulls.

redback_original
Silver

Post by redback_original »

as a v young primary school student in [rugby mad] new zealand, i remember a teacher trying to tell me that soccer was 'football' because they actually kicked the ball with their foot. without any hesitation i said 'but doesn't the goalie pick the ball up wit their hands?'...

soccer has no more right to be called football that any other sport...

just because o'neill likes it... doesn't make it right.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

I thought it was "football" ecause it is played on foot (as opposed to sports like Polo that are played on horseback).

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Jeffles wrote:I thought it was "football" ecause it is played on foot (as opposed to sports like Polo that are played on horseback).

As did I.

But then I was about to use it in a heated debate (not here) so thought it'd be best to check it out and do some research.

I think that it is a myth actually. I couldn't find any good evidence to support it.

EDIT:

More research says the opposite. I'm confused.
Small wonder that the game was royally disliked. Its origins were as common as gum under a tavern table. At first it didn't even have a name with any distinction. All the royal edicts called it "ball play" or "playing at ball". The term "football" first appeared in a 1486 document, but it didn't mean a game in which a foot came into contact with a ball. Instead, it meant a game played "on foot" rather than on horse, as was royally-approved jousting. The name also showed that football belonged to the commoners; only the nobility could afford to use horses for games!
http://www.footballresearch.com/article ... c=a-to1633

Simmo79
Platinum

Post by Simmo79 »

I've always regarded this debate as fairly meaningless. Personally, I call the sport "football" as does everybody when they talk about their particular code. But I do say "soccer" when the context make its necessary to make the distinction - like on a mixed forum such as this.

From a rough historical perspective all codes have evolved out of games that were called "football", therefore every single code has the right to refer to itself as "football". Its not really anything for anyone to get worked up about.

But the final word on the issue IMO comes from another net forum where a bloke said that soccer, gridiron and rugby people arguing over who has the sole right to use the word "football" is like pork and beef fans arguing over who has the sole right to use the word "meat".

Live and let live.

AusFootball
Bronze

sex

Post by AusFootball »

football.

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

Foocer.

AusFootball
Bronze

Post by AusFootball »

Hiraldo wrote:Foocer.
nonono its gotta have foot in it - afterall it is a game that you play with ur foot or feet. I saw an article about that in the paper and they were asking why so much bitterness had come with the name change when it is the game u play with ur foot!

doesnt matter now i guess... most media call it football now. Its grown heaps. :)

AusFootball
Bronze

Post by AusFootball »

Simmo79 wrote:I've always regarded this debate as fairly meaningless. Personally, I call the sport "football" as does everybody when they talk about their particular code. But I do say "soccer" when the context make its necessary to make the distinction - like on a mixed forum such as this.

From a rough historical perspective all codes have evolved out of games that were called "football", therefore every single code has the right to refer to itself as "football". Its not really anything for anyone to get worked up about.

But the final word on the issue IMO comes from another net forum where a bloke said that soccer, gridiron and rugby people arguing over who has the sole right to use the word "football" is like pork and beef fans arguing over who has the sole right to use the word "meat".

Live and let live.
yeh thats one way to look at it but i dunno... soccer just sounds like such a relegated name. your not relegating pork and beef by calling them meat. It can go either way.