Soccer or Football?

Anything relating to the Austadiums website such as feedback, ideas & site updates.

What should Austadiums refer to the World Game as?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:56 pm

Soccer
57%
Football
43%

Total votes: 21

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

James now its my time for insults, friendly banter like always James, it seems every 3 months after 6-8 weeks of it boiling away inside you, you go on the attack, doesnt bother me though mate...do it as much as you like :wink: :D

Mate when Cam originally discussed the Original Concept, you were highly jeaulos because you just found this website and thought that post count was more accurate then time spent on the forum...thus we may say that this is a spoilt child concept who needs to get his own way.

Im simply convassing my opinion and doesnt need to be taken, like I said I dont care just wanted to put my two cents in whether it was needed or not.

I just thought those that put as much time and effort for it to be as successful today...eg the main posters eg Jeffles, Cam, Egan, Tom, Perthsmike, Yob,Argee etc at the beginning laid the foundation of what it is today...our educated banter has followed on since the beginning and is probably one of the only major forum sites that doesnt have mods because of the atmosphere that we created from the start...unlike what the world game has turned out to be because its main posters were more interested in insults and gossip.

So because of the successful creation of this forum by all of these posters, I think a decision like this should be made with consensus of those that made the forum.

Regardless of whether I am a spolit brat or not, I am simply saying that those who have been here longer and have created the success of the forum should have more of a say then someone who has only been joined up for a week.

But seriously Cam does choose to do what he likes, but Im giving my opinion on the issue...if you noticed mate, every decision he has given us to make on behalf of the forum, I have given my view...not all have been taken and it doesnt bother me...but I do wish to have my say...whether taken or not taken.

Ahh James, tell me when its next "Attack Egan week", gives me warning to be extra careful what I say :wink:

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Egan wrote:Ahh James, tell me when its next "Attack Egan week", gives me warning to be extra careful what I say :wink:
But that would ruin the element of surprise! :D
Egan wrote:Mate when Cam originally discussed the Original Concept, you were highly jeaulos because you just found this website and thought that post count was more accurate then time spent on the forum...thus we may say that this is a spoilt child concept who needs to get his own way.
Egan, I've searched for that thread (I know it exists), so I can get the facts straight, but I can't find it. Can you remember which one it was?

Oh and...
Egan wrote:Regardless of whether I am a spolit brat or not, I am simply saying that those who have been here longer and have created the success of the forum should have more of a say then someone who has only been joined up for a week.
I wrote:Whilst I agree that those who have been around the longest should have their voices heard...

Hiraldo
Silver

Re: soccer to football

Post by Hiraldo »

AusFootball wrote:but its time football is allowed to get a real go in this country as it has around the world.
I honestly don't see how calling it soccer isn't giving it a 'real go'.

It's a name, not a perception that it's second rate. There are more important issues for Oz soccer to deal with (namely the national team schedule, which most following the sport seem to be blissfully ignorant about :roll: ).

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:
Jeffles wrote:
Sathc wrote:Avoid confusion - call it soccer
I agree.
I don't. The term 'Soccer' is demeaning. And stops the code ridding itself of its often troubled past and starting afresh as the proud global game it should be seen as.
To me the origin of the term "soccer" is the only thing demeaning about it. When I call the sport "soccer" today I do so with innocence and with complete respect for the game.

Just because a word started out as demeaning doesn't mean it cannot be accepted in the English language as a legitimate term. I'm left handed. The word "sinister" is a derivative of the Latin word for left handed. Today it means evil or underhanded. I'm not going to stop people from saying someone is "left handed" when they want to say they are a bit of a shady character.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Jeffles wrote:To me the origin of the term "soccer" is the only thing demeaning about it. When I call the sport "soccer" today I do so with innocence and with complete respect for the game.
Demeaning?

I understood the origin of the term to be 'a soccer player' as in Association football. What's so demeaning about that?

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

james_ wrote:
Jeffles wrote:To me the origin of the term "soccer" is the only thing demeaning about it. When I call the sport "soccer" today I do so with innocence and with complete respect for the game.
Demeaning?

I understood the origin of the term to be 'a soccer player' as in Association football. What's so demeaning about that?
Apparently it was a demeaning abbreviation.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Meanwhile the Telegraph made references to "soccer" today.

Waz
Silver

Post by Waz »

Soccer for sure...

Oh, and Yob, you should start selling yourself as a man who tells the future... your prophecy in this thread came true a couple of times :)

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

james_ wrote:
Demeaning?

Connotations of rampant ethnicity, violence, amateurism, petty politics, cronyism-all attributes of the sport as it has been known as "soccer".

The only way the code can rid itself of this crap is to adopt a new internationally savvy branding-that branding that the world accepts and understands.

People on this list are still trapped in the attitude that what happens in Australia is all that matters. When you now talk to a Swede or Chilean and you say you play "football", he will instantly understand what you mean.
If you play Australian Rules Football or Rugby league or Union, tell them as such.

Is the scenario all that hard to understand?

JF :roll:

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Jeffles wrote:Meanwhile the Telegraph made references to "soccer" today.
EXACTLY. That isa Murdoch newspaper. Hence it is one more reason to change the sporting status quo despite what they try and preach us. It is in their best interests to keep the World Game small, being owners of a competitor brand of sport.

As we have seen with the Swans emergeance. A 'new' sport becomes popular does not necessarily fill the existing journalist with the same joy, especially if they are only interested or qualified to cover one particular sport (ie the great majority of journos at the Terror.)

Of course they are not going to call the World Game 'football'. It will threaten their own (increasingly under siege) sport. Sadly the Terror are still of the opinion that everyone follows rugby league and that those who don't are a lot of weirdos and freaks from outer space.

JF (outing myself as a Martian for the first time :twisted: )

AusFootball
Bronze

soccer to football

Post by AusFootball »

I agree with SYDNEY FC how he said its a murdoch newspaper. He pretty much ownes the NRL and so its in his best interests that soccer/football has a low pro in this country. Already there have been a number of reports in that newsaper by a few jounalists stating that "the game will never be big in this country, its just the culture of Australia to not accept such a sport".

I mean at least the Herald is a bit centre, not pieres ackerman and FOX NEWS TERROR ALERT!![/quote]

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

Oy vey. :roll:
JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:
james_ wrote:
Demeaning?

Connotations of rampant ethnicity, violence, amateurism, petty politics, cronyism-all attributes of the sport as it has been known as "soccer".

The only way the code can rid itself of this crap is to adopt a new internationally savvy branding-that branding that the world accepts and understands.
...or the sport could just run itself properly and give us a national league and national team we can be proud of, for once.

That said, I do think the phase 'new football, not old soccer' is a smart move and could be very useful. I just don't think changing the name is as essential as some people are making it out to be. Neither do I think the word "soccer" automatically and inevitably represents the previous ills of the sport that you mention. Words such as "NSL" and "Soccer Australia", not the name of the sport itself, bring images of Labbozzetta, pathetic crowds, mono-cultural clubs and their mono-cultural supporters, etc. to the mind.

AusFootball
Bronze

soccer to football

Post by AusFootball »

Words such as "NSL" and "Soccer Australia", not the name of the sport itself, bring images of Labbozzetta, pathetic crowds, mono-cultural clubs and their mono-cultural supporters, etc. to the mind.
exacty. which means a name change in this country can only be seen as a good thing for the sport. and for "AusStadiums".

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

That's with one 's', thank you very much! :lol: :wink:

AusFootball
Bronze

soccer to football

Post by AusFootball »

james_ wrote:That's with one 's', thank you very much! :lol: :wink:
ohhh it is too... sorry!

:lol: