Soccer or Football?

Anything relating to the Austadiums website such as feedback, ideas & site updates.

What should Austadiums refer to the World Game as?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:56 pm

Soccer
57%
Football
43%

Total votes: 21

Joey
Silver

Post by Joey »

Jeffles wrote:Just because a word started out as demeaning doesn't mean it cannot be accepted in the English language as a legitimate term. I'm left handed. The word "sinister" is a derivative of the Latin word for left handed. Today it means evil or underhanded. I'm not going to stop people from saying someone is "left handed" when they want to say they are a bit of a shady character.
I am pro-Football. But I don't call it soccer to put it down. I call it soccer because that is what I know it as. I think, however that they should change it to Football because that is its name. The Association can call it whatever they want and I'm just choosing Football because that is what they want.

Also, you must have read the Da Vinci Code.

Cheesie-the-Pirate
Gold

Post by Cheesie-the-Pirate »

Soccer.

It isn't a big issue, really, despite this being the second thread to spiral into a battle.

Jeffles
Platinum

Re: soccer to football

Post by Jeffles »

AusFootball wrote:
Words such as "NSL" and "Soccer Australia", not the name of the sport itself, bring images of Labbozzetta, pathetic crowds, mono-cultural clubs and their mono-cultural supporters, etc. to the mind.
exacty. which means a name change in this country can only be seen as a good thing for the sport. and for "AusStadiums".
I get images of Kewell, beating England, our only World Cup appearance, loads of kids at the local park, fans pouring out on the streets of Sydney etc. A name change will not change people's attitudes. We're smart enough to know soccer when we see it.

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Joey wrote:Also, you must have read the Da Vinci Code.
Yes but I was interested in etymology before I read the book.

AusFootball
Bronze

Post by AusFootball »

Jeffles wrote:We're smart enough to know soccer when we see it.
ahhhh riiiiiiight...

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

AusFootball wrote:I agree with SYDNEY FC how he said its a murdoch newspaper. He pretty much ownes the NRL and so its in his best interests that soccer/football has a low pro in this country. Already there have been a number of reports in that newsaper by a few jounalists stating that "the game will never be big in this country, its just the culture of Australia to not accept such a sport".

I mean at least the Herald is a bit centre, not pieres ackerman and FOX NEWS TERROR ALERT!!
[/quote]

Murdoch is not anti soccer. Look at the EPL. If the A-League took off he'd benefit too.

AusFootball
Bronze

Post by AusFootball »

Jeffles wrote: Murdoch is not anti soccer. Look at the EPL. If the A-League took off he'd benefit too.
True... murdoch dominates all the media woteva who cares

in the meantime looks like soccer is going 2 win... dam u conservative bastards!

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

It seems he joined just to put his vote for football :wink:

At least one site has sensible fans knowing that the current new age love to call it football in Australia is just a fad.

Conservatives...hmm I think u will find at the last election it was pritty split between Labor and Liberal on this forum :wink:

We have kept common sence on this forum :)

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Can I just add that the new FFA logo, which AusFootball is using as his avatar, eats sh*t and so does the design of the FFA website. The poorly designed website is a blow to the 'new football' brand image.

the guy
Silver

Post by the guy »

Soccer avoids confusion.
It is not demeaning.
And those who think the name soccer is holding the sport back need to wake up, soccer is big time, maybe you should play a real fringe sport to appreciate just how large the game really is in this country, just because the largest sports league here isnt soccer, and just because this is the only sport we are not good at internationally does not mean it is not big.

AusFootball
Bronze

soccer to football

Post by AusFootball »

Egan wrote:It seems he joined just to put his vote for football :wink:

At least one site has sensible fans knowing that the current new age love to call it football in Australia is just a fad.

Conservatives...hmm I think u will find at the last election it was pritty split between Labor and Liberal on this forum :wink:

We have kept common sence on this forum :)
Of course I joined this site for football and to look up on its stadiums and crowds. I even emailed that Cam guy to change the name from soccer and he gave me the link to this forum and invited me to sign up - so I did.

And if you new anything about polotics there really isnt much difference in the Liberal/Labor party as both are relatively conservative, although the latter could be judged as slightly more left-wing than the former :wink:

we have kept invincible ignorance on this forum :)

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Its just some people think that calling a sport a different name is the saving grace :wink:

Yes they are both conservative...especially the mob on this side of the country...but using historical links were not all a conservative bunch :wink:

Its not ignorance its just keeping sport the way it was...when Soccer australia was killing the crap out of the game...were people really concerned whether it was called football and soccer...now because we have nothing to bitch about...were complaining about a name.

Mate its been known as soccer in this country for over a century...your not going to change a 100 years of history just because its the fad thing to do.

For me its rebellion, I feel annoyed that people feel that I should change the name of a sport because it makes a HUGE difference to the games prestige...it does nothing...their are bigger issues in Australian Soccer to be concerned about then changing the name.

For the life of me Im glad that, purely for confusion sakes...for the young fans growing up, that one site will not buck to the pressure with a clear majority supporting the name soccer...despite soccer fans thinking their will not be, because I don't know many who support AFL and soccer and just are plain ignorant to historically calling that sport football.

Will forever call it soccer, because in Australia we have forever callen it soccer, and its a name that Im glad is going to be kept alive, purely for future generations sake...because theirs 2 codes already using the name...3 is just going to be bordering on ridiculous.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

When was the first game of Association football played in Australia?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I don't know in Australia, in Western Australia the first game was played in 1896.

Its been a hundred years of soccer in this country.