Soccer or Football?

Anything relating to the Austadiums website such as feedback, ideas & site updates.

What should Austadiums refer to the World Game as?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:56 pm

Soccer
57%
Football
43%

Total votes: 21

cam
Gold

Soccer or Football?

Post by cam »

Should Austadiums.com jump on the bandwagon and call Soccer by its new official name, Football? Here is your chance to have a say in the future of Austadiums :lol: Sounds dramatic doesn't it!!

http://www.austadiums.com/sport/sport.php?sid=3

The following poll expires on Jan 20, Vote now!

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

No doubt all the registered football nazis who've never posted before will put their 2 cents in.

Sathc
Bronze

Post by Sathc »

Avoid confusion - call it soccer

Tancred
Bronze

Post by Tancred »

It's the official name of the game now.
Some parts of the media are also calling it football (SMH, Foxtel, SBS)
The state federations are working towards changing their names (Soccer NSW -> Football NSW, Soccer Victoria have registered Football Victoria)
Many fans have called it football for years.
I vote yes for this change at austadiums

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Sathc wrote:Avoid confusion - call it soccer
I agree.

AusFootball
Bronze

Post by AusFootball »

sucked in all u people trying to hold the game back and alienate it - its finally coming out of its shell and one day may be a dominating force in the future as its the most popular junior sport! :P

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

Ah, you're obviously one of those people who only likes Soccer and thinks every other sport in the world is the devil. :roll:

Get over it. Most people on this forum follow a number of sports. As I do, including Soccer.

JF_Bay22_SCG
Bronze

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Jeffles wrote:
Sathc wrote:Avoid confusion - call it soccer
I agree.
I don't. The term 'Soccer' is demeaning. And stops the code ridding itself of its often troubled past and starting afresh as the proud global game it should be seen as.

People may not like it now. But 40 years down the track after Australia has been at the last 5 World Cup we may well not recognise the nature of sport in Australia.

Who'd have believed 40 years ago that there would be a rugby league premiership side eminating out of Melbourne. And an AFL side that draws 70000 people in Sydney..

They would believe the amount of lost Grand Finals the Magpies have been involved with. Thankfully, some things NEVER change. :lol:

JF (sponsored by http://www.colliwobbles.com.au BuY YOUR GEAR KIDS!)

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

:roll:
Richard Hinds wrote:Too many who are desperate for soccer to succeed in Australia are caught up in the idea that their sport must dominate like it does elsewhere. Like the boy who has been bullied in the playground, there is a sense of vengeance in the way they talk of their supposedly inevitable annexation.
- http://www.smh.com.au/news/Richard-Hind ... 80143.html

It doesn't make a difference to me what it's called.

AusFootball
Bronze

soccer to football

Post by AusFootball »

thats bulls**t...

I have been 2 way more AFL games and cricket games than football games in my life. I was behind the swans goals just a few years ago. and i love my cricket and the AFL and league for that matter. but its time football is allowed to get a real go in this country as it has around the world.

In fact I only started playing football again a year ago from rugby

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

In all respect for people having an opinion on this, but Cam i was thinking for those who have been on this forum and the previous forum and had to suffer the consequences of such a small forum with 3-4 days until someone replied, I think that the 'Originals' Group should have more say then someone who signed up just the other week or 6 months ago.

Many of us have been here loyally for 3 years and more, and deserve to have their voice heard above a newcomer.

I personally don't care, but like Sathc said, avoid confusion call it soccer.

I was thinking that you know you created the Originals section, that those who have created the forum it is today, should be given the executive decision, if you yourself want a popular decision.

I just think for something that changes what we like about the forum, clear concise without having to join the majority, but respect and love the world game yet not have to go with the times and say football just because were told the be all and end all of the sport is to call it football.

For me that is what I like something that makes its decisions because theirs a point...and what real point is their for the people who love the world game to really complain whether we have called it football or soccer...they cannot say we do not have a passionate group of people talking about soccer on this forum.

Up to you Cam just thought Id put my 2 cents worth in.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Egan wrote:I was thinking that you know you created the Originals section, that those who have created the forum it is today, should be given the executive decision, if you yourself want a popular decision.
What the fook?

Hypothetical...

Egan, should the West Coast Eagles have a lesser say in things than the Victorian foundation clubs?

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

Im just saying, why should one person who voted after being a member for 3 weeks and contributed 1-50 posts to the forum have the same voting rights as a person who has been on a forum for as long as the originals.

It just seems a little tad generous and you will find that is why the Federal Electorates in Tasmania is unfair, because the population of Tasmania's vote is worth more then those in other states...likewise those who have just joined have the same voting rights and power as someone who joined 3 years ago.

Sorry if you think this is harsh, like I said I just think personally that those who have been with this site longer then a year should have more power then a recently joined forumite.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

I think Cam is always looking forward with this website. Cam stamps every image with 'www.austadiums.com' to draw attention to his site. If he wanted to maintain the status quo, he wouldn't bother promoting austadiums.

By conducting this poll, Cam is canvassing ALL those who use this website and its forum. It matters little, because Cam can choose to do what he likes at the end of the day.

Whilst I agree that those who have been around the longest should have their voices heard, you Egan sound like a kid in the schoolyard who isn't getting his own way! :lol:

Do "The Originals" share a secret handshake?!!! :lol:

For what it's worth, I reckon go with 'Football' as that's its official name these days. But that's not to say that in articles or forum chitchat the game cannot be referred to as 'soccer'. In my opinion, 'soccer' is to Football, what 'aussie rules' is to AFL or Australian Football - its nickname.

P.S. Cam, sorry for referring to you as though you're not here!

cam
Gold

Post by cam »

haha, no worries mate. Your right what you say, I want this site to get bigger and bigger. I wouldn't spend so much of my time on it otherwise.

The poll really is to get a clear indication of what all the forum users think. If there was a clear winner, I would go with the flow, if it's close, I'll have more of a think. In any case, if it changed to Football, I would still somehow keep the term 'Soccer' active on the site.