Soccer or Football?

Anything relating to the Austadiums website such as feedback, ideas & site updates.

What should Austadiums refer to the World Game as?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:56 pm

Soccer
57%
Football
43%

Total votes: 21

Hiraldo
Silver

Post by Hiraldo »

james_ wrote:When was the first game of Association football played in Australia?
1880 (not sure of the exact date), between a team named 'Wanderers' and another which I've either forgotted about or haven't found anything on.

The game was played in Parramatta, possibly at Cumberland Oval (I forget) . It is for this reason why I think a second Sydney team should be named 'West Sydney Wanderers' and play in their colours (white shirts, white shorts and blue socks).

Tancred
Bronze

Post by Tancred »

Egan wrote:
Will forever call it soccer, because in Australia we have forever callen it soccer,
No we have not. It has not always been called "soccer" in Australia.

AusFootball
Bronze

Post by AusFootball »

james_ wrote:Can I just add that the new FFA logo, which AusFootball is using as his avatar, eats sh*t and so does the design of the FFA website. The poorly designed website is a blow to the 'new football' brand image.
My Avatar is sh*t! Look at yours!

:lol: :lol:

AusFootball
Bronze

Post by AusFootball »

Egan wrote: Mate its been known as soccer in this country for over a century...your not going to change a 100 years of history just because its the fad thing to do.

For me its rebellion, I feel annoyed that people feel that I should change the name of a sport because it makes a HUGE difference to the games prestige...it does nothing...their are bigger issues in Australian Soccer to be concerned about then changing the name.

For the life of me Im glad that, purely for confusion sakes...for the young fans growing up, that one site will not buck to the pressure with a clear majority supporting the name soccer...despite soccer fans thinking their will not be, because I don't know many who support AFL and soccer and just are plain ignorant to historically calling that sport football.

Will forever call it soccer, because in Australia we have forever callen it soccer, and its a name that Im glad is going to be kept alive, purely for future generations sake...because theirs 2 codes already using the name...3 is just going to be bordering on ridiculous.
Already the SMH, probably the most respected if not well known newspaper in NSW if not Australia has already "buckled under the pressure"

I look across to the "Sport" tab on this web site and I dont see anything that actually mentions the word 'football' specifically. I mean you have AFL Football - or you could just say AFL (Australian Football League) not Australian Football League Football as it says now...

And when I go to other sites such as the BBC I see cricket, football, rugby union, rugby league etc. I can easily identify which sport is which and I dont think it will be to hard with Australians to do the same thing.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

AusFootball wrote:
My Avatar is sh*t! Look at yours!

:lol: :lol:
EH, EH, EH!

Tancred
Bronze

Post by Tancred »

james_ wrote:

EH, EH, EH!
Yeah......but no! but Yeah.....but no!

I'm off to Llandewi Breffi :wink:

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

:lol:

Jeffles
Platinum

Post by Jeffles »

Tancred wrote:
Egan wrote:
Will forever call it soccer, because in Australia we have forever callen it soccer,
But we call it soccer now.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

For most of the years in this side of the country its been called soccer :wink:

Maybe not the start, but for many years we have.

Yes but we are not england, in some parts of the Country Rugby Union is the top sport...eg Canberra, in others Rugby League, Sydney, in the south AFL and we need to realise that each of these codes have the right to call it football.

See I don't care if people call soccer, football but don't make a case of it to change others thinking because they actually know another game as the word football...have never referred to football as AFL and I never will, because AFL is the top league, not the name of our game. The name of our game is Australian Rules Football, so yes we do have the right.

AFL Football is the name on this site, because its the crowds that Cam reports, if he was doing VFL Crowds, it would be VFL Football.

Keep calling it football, you have the right to, but seriously see that many people on this forum have always used the word football for another code...and youngsters around me have always called it soccer simply to avoid confusion with the word football which everyone knew was Aussie Rules, i do not wish to put confusion onto other youngsters.

Like I say, 5 years ago, did you really care whether everyone called it football or soccer in this country, when our soccer governing body nearly killed off the sport here...so really its just a fad. And is really not something that should be a major concern...eg putting your effort to changing the name on one site, is purely a waste of time, when their is more greater need in other areas for the success of Australian Soccer.

Tancred
Bronze

Post by Tancred »

Jeffles wrote:
Tancred wrote:
Egan wrote:
But we call it soccer now.
I seem to remember going over this not that long ago on here. Not everyone, nor every club calls the game "soccer". We play football at the Olympics. There are a number of federations around Australia called "Football Assoications" for example the Gladesville & Hornsby football assoication. Living in Stanmore you might remember Northern Spirit Football Club. Have you ever heard of the PFA? The professional footballers union?

Again, I have said this before; you may have always called it soccer but that does not mean that everyone does/has. A broad sweeping statement of " because in Australia we have forever callen it soccer" is totally incorrect.

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Egan wrote:AFL Football is the name on this site, because its the crowds that Cam reports, if he was doing VFL Crowds, it would be VFL Football.
I see in the left hand column it reads AFL Football: AFL, Rugby League: NRL, Bastketball: NBL and so on. That is, name of sport: league (or competition). So theoretically it should read Australian football (or Australian Rules or Aussie Rules or whatever): AFL.

However I read in another thread that the administrators of the Australian game wish for their sport to be known by the name of its league - AFL. So 'AFL Football' is in keeping with those wishes. If Cam were reporting VFL crowd figures it would read, AFL Football: VFL. Should Cam comply with the wishes of the administrators of soccer in Australia and call the sport 'Football'?

Cam, maybe you could just spell it out... Australian Rules Football, Rugby League Football, Soccer (abbrev. for Association) Football, Basketball, Rugby Union Football, Cricket. :wink:

That will look tidy! :wink:

Would the A-League hurry up and start!!!

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

Not only do the administrators of the AFL want the code itself to be referred to as that, they've even attempted blackmailing state bodies such as the SANFL to rename themselves "AFL SA"

james_
Silver

Post by james_ »

Must be why we went from QAFL to AFLQ.

Image Image

yob
Platinum

Post by yob »

It is. Similar name changes were brought about in Tasmania.

This isn't a new thing. Decades ago, when a controlling body called the NFL existed, attempts at nationalising league names resulted in name changes to the SA and WA leagues, to SANFL and WANFL. I think the same happened in Tassie.

Egan
Platinum

Post by Egan »

I never knew the WAFL used to be called the WANFL

Always thought forever and a day it was WAFL.